• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World Cup Hockey!!!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
devilbat said:
...I'm not sweating it out yet. I guess it will depend on the way Canada plays this evening. If they dominate the Czechs, they'll pound the Finns. If the inch past the Czechs, I'll be worried. If they lose to the Czechs, I'll get drunk and cry like a baby :confused:

Don't under estimate Brodeur though. The man is awesome when the pressure is on.

Brodeur is the chief reason we've sailed through the tourney as completely as we have. The guy is fantastic goaltender; he keeps it simple, he doesn't get rattled and he does everything right.

His catlike reflexes don't hurt either:)

Darth Shoju

First Post
devilbat said:
D'oh, true enough Teflon Billy. My bad.

I'm actually hoping there is a lockout that lasts the whole season.

Hopefully a few of the weaker sister teams located in the Southern U.S. will fold. Maybe the players will realize that most of the U.S population would rather watch high school football, and the game will come back to where it belongs. Places like Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hartford (can't forget the Whalers).

Of course the weaker sister teams that leave might include Edmonton, Calgary, and God forbid, Montreal.
W00t to Winnipeg. Maybe if our new arena finally gets finnished we'll be able to make a case for getting a franchise back here. I'm also a Habs fan, so I second your concern that Edmonton, Calgary or Montreal might fold. I'd rather the NHL collapse alltogether than lose the Canadiens, Flames or Oilers.

This has been such a great thread so far. I'm with Teflon Billy on Bertuzzi. It wasn't the wisest move of his career but I've been rather riled over the outcry against him. He's served his time, let's let him play again. There's no way he'd do it again (and nice comparison to the Rocket there Mulhorandsage, really puts it in perspective).

I'd have to second the opinion on Hull. He's one of my least favourite players. I've heard too much whining out of him and others like Jeremy Roenick over the years. I've also heard that Steve Yzerman was passed up for Team Canada initially, but when called upon years later was more than happy to play.

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
Brodeur is the chief reason we've sailed through the tourney as completely as we have. The guy is fantastic goaltender; he keeps it simple, he doesn't get rattled and he does everything right.

His catlike reflexes don't hurt either:)
Brodeur's one of my favourite goalies of all time. Being a Habs fan, I'm still partial to Patrick Roy, but Brodeur is really talented and not as..."tempermental" as Roy was.

And referring to earlier in the thread...my dad's two favourite goalies of all time are Dryden and Tretiak. ;)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Geez, Shoju, make a guy feel old, why don'tcha? Your Dad's favourite goalies are Dryden and Tretiak? Jeez Louise.

I used to have a program for the '72 series -- it was the first place I saw the classic Ken Dryden pose: standing in front of the net, his stick propped on the ice in front of him, both hands folded over the butt, resting his chin on the back of his hands.

20030529-093418-g.jpg

And yeah, Tretiak was a frickin' force of nature. Probably the first Russian name I ever knew. I think I discovered there was such a thing as Russia in 1972. And they had hockey. It was horrible. But at least there was a happy ending.

Man, this is a good World Cup. We just gotta beat those Czechs. They freak me out.

Darth Shoju

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Geez, Shoju, make a guy feel old, why don'tcha? Your Dad's favourite goalies are Dryden and Tretiak? Jeez Louise.
Lol, sorry man. I am 25 though, just so you know I'm not that young. :p

barsoomcore said:
Man, this is a good World Cup. We just gotta beat those Czechs. They freak me out.
I'm with you. I think the Czechs are the closest thing to the old Soviet Red Army since the Union broke up.

AIM-54

First Post
Tretiak..Tretiak...didn't he get lit up by a bunch of college kids in Lake Placid? :lol:

Of course, even Brooksy noted that was a 1 in 10 chance...

Should be a good one tonight with an entertaining final whatever the result.

Canada should be fine unless there's a shootout. Then they're doomed :p

I'll be rootin' for 'em regardless.

devilbat

First Post
I'm with Teflon Billy on Bertuzzi. It wasn't the wisest move of his career but I've been rather riled over the outcry against him. He's served his time, let's let him play again. There's no way he'd do it again.

Ok, here's where I get non politically correct.

The "Bertuzzi incident" was a media scandel. No more, no less. If you're a real hockey fan, then you've seen FAR worse then that happen on the ice. As a matter of fact, cheap shot punches to the back of the head happens almost every game.

In my not so humble opinion, Steve Moore deserved to get his clock cleaned for the cheap shot he landed on Markus Naslund the game before. The fact that Naslund dodged the full proverbial bullet, and only ended up with a cut forehead and mild concussion, is pure luck.

Did Moore deserved to have his neck fractured? No, of course not. Was it a freak accident that it happened as such? Absolutely.

As far as I'm concerned, maybe blue blooded, Ivy league school graduates with weak necks (because of a missing backbone) don't belong in the NHL.

Free Bertuzzi!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads