• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World Cup Hockey!!!

devilbat

First Post
Hey guys, just discovered this thread. I love the fact that there is a hockey thread on a gaming board.

More importantly Canada rejected him years ago, the US said we'd love to have you and he's been loyal to them ever since. Calling him a sellout now that he's good when you didn't want him in the first place is just wrong.

Canada didn't reject Brett Hull. Back in the day, before he joined the Flames, Hull was an overweight, lazy hockey player. Albeit with a great shot, but still a one trick pony. Canada cut him, the weaker American team had a place for him, so goodbye Canada.

In the long run, it works for both countries. He helped lead the U.S. to an Olympic Silver medal, and a World Championship. On the other hand, he wouldn't have made the last Canadian Olympic team, or this years World Championship team. He doesn't have the lungs or the work ethic.

Take a look at the way he reacted when the American coach, Ron Wilson, made him a healthy scratch against the Russians. Gretzky wouldn't want to have a guy who throws temper-tantrums, and tells reporters he doesn't care about the fans anymore, as a member of the team. Too much drama.

I wonder how old Wayne is going to like him in a Coyotes uniform this year?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game against the Czechs on Friday.

Last edited:

devilbat

First Post
there's not going to be a "This Year"

D'oh, true enough Teflon Billy. My bad.

I'm actually hoping there is a lockout that lasts the whole season.

Hopefully a few of the weaker sister teams located in the Southern U.S. will fold. Maybe the players will realize that most of the U.S population would rather watch high school football, and the game will come back to where it belongs. Places like Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hartford (can't forget the Whalers).

Of course the weaker sister teams that leave might include Edmonton, Calgary, and God forbid, Montreal.

AIM-54

First Post
devilbat said:
Hopefully a few of the weaker sister teams located in the Southern U.S. will fold. Maybe the players will realize that most of the U.S population would rather watch high school football, and the game will come back to where it belongs. Places like Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hartford (can't forget the Whalers).

I think you're underestimating the markets down there. The south is the biggest opportunity for the game of hockey to grow in North America and the US in particular. A lot of people are getting into it down there. Nashville, I'm told has a great fanbase, Tampa Bay manages to get fans out and having won the Cup will certainly bring more interest to the game down there. A few years ago the NCAA started a yearly tournament in Florida (with the gruesome title of "Everblades Classic" :p), so it's not like the south is devoid of people interested in the game and the potential upside is enormous. Florida may be a bit of a special case what with all the Snowbirds and all, but if that's what it takes to grow the game, I'm all for it.

That said, the Coyotes and Hurricanes should go back to where they belong. I'd say the Stars too, but I guess Minnesota has a team again these days. :)

johnsemlak

First Post
Ugh

I tried to record the US-Finland match (which began at 3 AM in Russia), but with the Russian team out, Russian TV switched the game with some bad movie. Geez, I hope I get to see the final.

Anyway, it appears that the US's 8-year reign of the World Cup is Finnisht

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Christ almighty...after we beat the Czech Republic we have to face Mikka Kiprussoff :uhoh:

Man he is good. His run with Calgary to the final in the NHL Playoffs could have just been a roll, but he has looked so good in this World Cup that I have the sinking feeling that the guy is the real deal.

reminds me of the old Red Army (back when there was a Soviet Union)...they had a ton of talent; their captain, Valeri Karmelov was as talented a player as anyone had ever seen...but if we were being honest, the West had several players of Karmelov's calibre.

What the West didn't have was a Goalie like Vladislav Tretiak.

Tretiak was, to most Canadian hockey fans, just this...monstrous thing. Some alien invader we had no way of comprehending or dealing with.

Canada's goalie at the time Ken Dryden was--by any yardstick--an incredible goalie. Tretiak made him look like a pee wee out there. It was startling to fans of that era.

Kiprusoff is reminding me alot of Tretiak: emotionally ice-cold, technically astonishing and humble as a nun.

My fellow Canadians: we might be in trouble here. :\

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
johnsemlak said:
Well, I'd say how big it is varies by country. In the US, the Olympics certainly have received the most attention (as I believe was the case in the USSR/Russia). In Europe, the World Championships have always been very big (a Swedish friend once commented how in Sweden they pay far more attention to that than the NHL).
I don't think anyone here took notice of the World Cup before this year. Probably has to do with the amount of tv coverage we are getting this time around. And seeing how far we've made it so far I think its popularity is going to rise a lot in Finland.

Edit: as I recall, the responses to the last World Cup ranged from the common 'meh' through the frequent 'the what cup?' to the sometime 'is that some sort of a practise tourney for the World Championships?'.

Teflon Billy said:
Christ almighty...after we beat the Czech Republic we have to face Mikka Kiprussoff :uhoh:

Man he is good. His run with Calgary to the final in the NHL Playoffs could have just been a roll, but he has looked so good in this World Cup that I have the sinking feeling that the guy is the real deal.
Like Selänne has said: "It's nice to play when you know there's a brick wall in front of the net." ;)

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
reminds me of the old Red Army (back when there was a Soviet Union)...they had a ton of talent; their captain, Valeri Karmelov was as talented a player as anyone had ever seen...but if we were being honest, the West had several players of Karmelov's calibre.

What the West didn't have was a Goalie like Vladislav Tretiak.

Tretiak was, to most Canadian hockey fans, just this...monstrous thing. Some alien invader we had no way of comprehending or dealing with.

Tretiak, indeed, a legend.

Interesting that the Soviet Union also produced soccer's best ever goalie, Lev Yashin.

A Russian once told me that 'if you have a goalie, you have half a team.'

devilbat

First Post
Tretiak Was absolutely amazing. He didn't wear super wide and light leg pads. No XXXXL sized jersey. No trapper the size of North Dakota. He didn't pose after making a save. He wore good old fashioned, horse hair stuffed, leather leg pads, tiny trapper and a straight goal stick (that probably weighed a ton).

An autographed 8x10 of Vladdy proudly hangs in my office, along with Nikolai Khabibulin, my other favorite goalie.

My fellow Canadians: we might be in trouble here.

I'm not sweating it out yet. I guess it will depend on the way Canada plays this evening. If they dominate the Czechs, they'll pound the Finns. If the inch past the Czechs, I'll be worried. If they lose to the Czechs, I'll get drunk and cry like a baby :confused:

Don't under estimate Brodeur though. The man is awesome when the pressure is on.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads