WotC World Reveal of Baldur's Gate 3

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios. According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters: Wyll, Human Warlock Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter Gale, Human Wizard Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue And you'll be able to create characters using these...

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios.

According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters:
  • Wyll, Human Warlock
  • Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric
  • Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter
  • Gale, Human Wizard
  • Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue
And you'll be able to create characters using these six classes:
  • Fighter (Battle Master, Eldritch Knight)
  • Wizard (Evocation, Abjuration)
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster, Thief)
  • Ranger (Hunter, Beast Master)
  • Cleric (Life, Light, Trickery)
  • Warlock (Fiend, Great One)
15 races include (amongst others):
  • Elves
  • Dwarves
  • Humans
  • Githyanki
  • Drow
  • Tieflings
  • Vampire Spawn

LLH1BPJ.png

qlR4Bmg.jpg

jEeuWft.jpg

8Gic926.jpg

OLP0YhI.jpg

EsNTlWm.jpg
QzN9a7C.jpg
knMpJyl.jpg
uRbTbmp.jpg
drYBkxb.jpg
PhUpxaP.jpg
PM2ysZc.jpg
2htLlMr.jpg

Horwath

Legend
So ... just like D&D, which is the basis for BG3. I really don't see the problem.

If I want to play a game where AoEs missing or friendly firing are a factor, I'll play an actual action-RPG that's explicitly designed to take that sort of thing into account.

Yeah, basis.

Like idea, inspiration. It does not need to be a carbon copy of it.

And as I stated; turn base in D&D is mandatory flaw as the game would not work without it. As 99% of tabletop would not.

We have computers to circumvent that problem in design.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah, basis.

And as I stated; turn base in D&D is mandatory flaw as the game would not work without it. As 99% of tabletop would not.

I mean, you might consider at some point that people like turn-based combat, even in computer games?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yeah, basis.

But turned based isn't a flaw. It's not something to look down upon. It's something powerful and enjoyable that opens up a lot more tactical depth than a real time system could.

FrogReaver

There is merit to this idea. I'm not surprised they did turned based. I am surprised they followed 5e's system as closely as they did. I really didn't think 5e's system would make for a good turn based computer game. But what I'm seeing of the work in BG3 it looks like it turned out great.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
There is merit to this idea. I'm not surprised they did turned based. I am surprised they followed 5e's system as closely as they did. I really didn't think 5e's system would make for a good turn based computer game. But what I'm seeing of the work in BG3 it looks like it turned out great.

The way they've expanded out Bonus actions to allow the types of shenanigans Larian is usually known for I think was a really smart idea. As is boosting the combat utility of the types of spells that are vital in actual D&D but don't typically get much play in combat-heavy D&D games of yore (see: Mage Hand)

Horwath

Legend
I mean, you might consider at some point that people like turn-based combat, even in computer games?

I know that :p
I like HOMM3 and 5

And I would never advocate to make DOS3 an RT game, even if it to me, it would make it better.

And I don't like BG being shoved into TB camp, because to me, it's an inferior game system for PC

FrogReaver

I know that :p
I like HOMM3 and 5

And I would never advocate to make DOS3 an RT game, even if it to me, it would make it better.

And I don't like BG being shoved into TB camp, because to me, it's an inferior game system for PC

Inferior compared to real time with pause?

Horwath

Legend
Inferior compared to real time with pause?

to me, yes.

Because, you can pause(must pause) to give orders to your character, but they are all executed at the same time, together with opponents actions. And you do not know what that will be. You can learn from experience ofc. And that gives it more complexity. Nothing better that seeing two archers headshot one another at the same time.

In turn base. you choose an action and then you execute it from start to finish without any problems(except few possible reactions).

Also with RT you can balance things out with another variable: action speed.
Hard hitting spells can have more casting time, more time to get out of AoE.
Now this adds another variable, that you can target your AoE in anticipated path of escape of your targets.
And ofc your targets can calculate that you are doing that and try to escape some other way, so you position your tanks in a way that you leave one or none avenues of escape.

Remove ads

Remove ads