• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC World Reveal of Baldur's Gate 3

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios. According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters: Wyll, Human Warlock Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter Gale, Human Wizard Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue And you'll be able to create characters using these...

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios.

According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters:
  • Wyll, Human Warlock
  • Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric
  • Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter
  • Gale, Human Wizard
  • Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue
And you'll be able to create characters using these six classes:
  • Fighter (Battle Master, Eldritch Knight)
  • Wizard (Evocation, Abjuration)
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster, Thief)
  • Ranger (Hunter, Beast Master)
  • Cleric (Life, Light, Trickery)
  • Warlock (Fiend, Great One)
15 races include (amongst others):
  • Elves
  • Dwarves
  • Humans
  • Githyanki
  • Drow
  • Tieflings
  • Vampire Spawn

LLH1BPJ.png

qlR4Bmg.jpg

jEeuWft.jpg

8Gic926.jpg

OLP0YhI.jpg

EsNTlWm.jpg
QzN9a7C.jpg
knMpJyl.jpg
uRbTbmp.jpg
drYBkxb.jpg
PhUpxaP.jpg
PM2ysZc.jpg
2htLlMr.jpg

Li Shenron

Legend
Haven't watched the whole video yet, but looks good to me.

I am not going to buy another real-time single-character game, there are way too many, and they are all the same. They don't offer the same degree of tactics as a turn-based multi-character game. My favourite D&D game ever was ToEE, which sadly was buggy and had a flat plot. If BG3 can combine that gamestyle with the rich plots and quests of the BG series, then I'll buy it. I have no need for another shoot em up instead, no matter how good it looks.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Also: Early access? Really. I may be too old for this and don't understand how beta testing works nowadays. But a story driven RPG of the epicness and scale that a BG3 should have and then it gets released in early access? Are they running out of funds or what?

Oh god, please don't let this thread be hijacked by arguments over software development, quality management, and the meaning of alpha and beta.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm looking forward to it. It is nice to see a well developed turn-based game. I liked Saga but it didn't have the depth of a game like BG.

I haven't spend much time reading about BG3, but will it only be available on PCs? Are there plans to release it on any consoles?

martinlochsen

Explorer
From the preview, I think the game looks absolutely awesome! I mean, some people will like turn based, some people prefer more action-oriented games. I like both. I don't get how "it's turn based" could be an argument that essentially means "it's crap". Two different types of games, with their advantages and drawbacks both. What makes a good or a bad game depends on how the system is implemented, the quality of the quests and story, and so on. Not broad design choices like turn based or not turn based. We will know when the game is out.

I think it's cool that they're sticking close to the 5e rules. The trend in video game rgps for many years seems to have been going for simpler and simpler rpg mechanics, certainly much simpler than 5e for most big studio games, so the idea that you need complex rules for a crpg seems off to me. It will be fun to try out builds that will be reasonably similar to what you can do in the table top version. It's a ruleset we love to play, so getting a chance to also play it digitally seems fun to me. I don't get the negativity on this point.

Anyway, if you don't like it, it seems like there are large amounts of D&D video games coming, so chances are, there will be something for everyone.

Horwath

Legend
I hope the implement RT later on. Like they added TB in PoE2.

It's not very good TB in PoE, but it is much easier to turn TB in RTwP than the other way around.

stadi

Explorer
I am really disappointed. This is Divinity 3 and not Baldur's Gate 3. I really disliked Divinity and they didn't even make an effort to hide that it's "just a reskin". Even the way it starts after a ship accident and the origin characters. Being turn based is just one of the issues (one that i could even accept if it wasn't Divinity 3).

Remove ads

Remove ads