WotC World Reveal of Baldur's Gate 3

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios. According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters: Wyll, Human Warlock Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter Gale, Human Wizard Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue And you'll be able to create characters using these...

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios.

According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters:
  • Wyll, Human Warlock
  • Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric
  • Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter
  • Gale, Human Wizard
  • Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue
And you'll be able to create characters using these six classes:
  • Fighter (Battle Master, Eldritch Knight)
  • Wizard (Evocation, Abjuration)
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster, Thief)
  • Ranger (Hunter, Beast Master)
  • Cleric (Life, Light, Trickery)
  • Warlock (Fiend, Great One)
15 races include (amongst others):
  • Elves
  • Dwarves
  • Humans
  • Githyanki
  • Drow
  • Tieflings
  • Vampire Spawn

LLH1BPJ.png

qlR4Bmg.jpg

jEeuWft.jpg

8Gic926.jpg

OLP0YhI.jpg

EsNTlWm.jpg
QzN9a7C.jpg
knMpJyl.jpg
uRbTbmp.jpg
drYBkxb.jpg
PhUpxaP.jpg
PM2ysZc.jpg
2htLlMr.jpg

Li Shenron

Legend
And this is what most people expected from BG3. Pausable real time combat. Not Diablo 3.

Based on the expected release date, BG3 will be in competition with Wrath of the Righteous. And the latter one looks and feels a lot more like Baldurs Gate than BG3.

Ok, so maybe the question here is whether we want BG3 to be more Baldur's Gate or more D&D.

So that's why I didn't see your point... As much I loved playing BG1 and BG2 (at least twice each game to the end), what I am actually looking for is a game closer to D&D than ever, while I don't care too much whether it follows the story of Baldur's Gate saga or not. In fact I am writing about it in a D&D forum, not in a BG forum...

And most importantly as far as gameplay goes, the "pausable real-time" combat of BG1 and BG2 for me was an acceptable compromise, way better than unpausable, but at the same time it was its weakness for me (in an otherwise perfect game). When ToEE came out with its turn-based system, I immediately wished there had been a game with the breadth and depth of BG and the combat engine of ToEE.

miggyG777

Explorer
Speculation, companies like Blizzard have CGI Studios and they cost a ton of money. I highly doubt Larian would allocate a major part of funding towards building their own studio.

Pat Roberts (Former Disney and Dreamworks CG animator) said:
Theatrical quality animation, which is essentially what AAA video games provide in their cinematics now, if you are reasonably efficient cost around $10,000 per finished second, and average about 40 to 50 man-hours per finished second (not including overhead workers: management, coordinators, IT, PAs, etc.).

I thought it was awesome!. only problem I had was the little bandit looked like a bobble head. I was looking at my favorite rpg games (Witcher, Dragon age, Skyrim) and there were many elements in that presentation I wanted for my favorite games. Ive also never considered or seen a vampire spawn character until yesterday

Oofta

Legend
Speculation, companies like Blizzard have CGI Studios and they cost a ton of money. I highly doubt Larian would allocate a major part of funding towards building their own studio.
So ... opinion stated as fact with absolutely no proof.

Maybe you're right, maybe not. I personally see no reason to believe it was. But I don't think that it reflects one way or another on the game overall other than that many people worked on it and whether some work was contracted out doesn't really matter. As long as it makes a cohesive whole and is entertaining I'm happy.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Mearls could literally have Larian Studios elevate D&D to the next level, but instead he chooses to enforce them to adhere to the 5e ruleset to the T. When the DMG says "If a rule stands in the way of your game, throw it out."

Just shows that Mearls cares more about his own legacy than collaborating with Vicke & Team. Which is what I feared would happen.

Sadly this fail will mostly affect Vicke who will be held responsible for this shortcoming by many. It was an impossible project to begin with. I know how much Vicke loved Baldurs Gate and I wished he had the creative freedom that he needed to create the true successor, that he envisioned.
This is a good thing. I was playing D&D since 1981. I didn't really understand the complexity of the rules and the interactions until the SSI gold box games. This is going to let people understand the rules of 5e better. My wife is already excited because she basically knows exactly how to play.

For someone like my wife this is perfect. She can't always see how the rules interact at the table. This will be a deep analysis of the rules for her that I think will improve her strategy and playing.

SSI goldbox used ad&d rules they were great.
Baldurs gate/Icewind Dale/Torment used 2nd AD&D rules they were great
Never winter nights single player...
Pools of Radiance 3rd edition

all of these games utilized 3 different D&D rules iterations and were fantastic. I don't see how 5e is going to be worst for it.

Remove ads

Remove ads