D&D General Worlds of Design: A Question of Balance

Some people think that every character class must be equally balanced with every other class, but why is that necessary? Are they competing with the other players in a co-operative game?

Some people think that every character class must be equally balanced with every other class, but why is that necessary? Are they competing with the other players in a co-operative game?
aquestionofbalance.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay
The Destination or the Journey?

When approaching a discussion of class balance, it's worth asking the question: is an RPG session a destination or a journey? Or to put it another way, is an RPG session "mental gymnastics" or an "adventure"? I think the latter in both cases. Consequently, shouldn't character classes be about different ways to succeed, not about "power" (or whatever it is that has to be "equal" between each character)?

The concept of asymmetry--different starting capabilities and assets on each side--is very important in some kinds of games, like historical strategy games. It's hard to sensibly reproduce history symmetrically, in which all players start at the same level of power; for an example of how this is handled in a board game, see Risk. There's good reason for this. One of the easiest ways to achieve "balance" in a game is to make it symmetric, with everyone beginning "the same."

The need for symmetric play has spilled over in video game design, with all classes being balanced against each other, even in single-player. That style of game development has influenced modern tabletop games for similar reasons: keeping all players equal smooths out the game's design. But I think something is lost in forcing symmetric design in a tabletop role-playing game.

What's Class Balance, Anyway?

The first problem is that "class balance" is a fungible metric. Presumably, all classes are "equally powerful" but what does that mean, really? If play is all about the individual, the game turns into a competition between players to see who can show off the most. For games where personal power is important, this can make sense--but I don't find it conducive to the fundamentals of teamwork Dungeons & Dragons was built on. If D&D is about cooperation, flattening out every character's power implies that they're in competition with each other.

When the game is about the success of the group as a whole, about co-operation, then there may be compensations for playing a less powerful class. In fact, some of the classes by their very nature are inherently unbalanced for a reason. Jonathan Tweet's most recent article about The Unbalanced Cleric is a perfect example. And there are opportunities for creativity in how your "less powerful" character copes with adventuring.

Variety is the Spice of Life

There's also something to be said for the variety that comes from characters of differing capabilities. It doesn't matter to me if some characters are more powerful than others, whether it's because of class, or items owned, or something else. Different characters with different power levels creates a form of interesting play.

Here's a real life analogy: The soccer striker who scores a lot versus one who makes many chances/assists and helps the team maintain possession. But in a profession where it's so hard to score, the one who scores a lot will usually be regarded as a better player ("more powerful"), or at least the one who is paid more. Yet both are equally valuable to the team. And offensive players tend to be more highly regarded than defensive players.

Magic is Not Balanced

Then there's the issue of magic. In earlier versions of D&D, magic-users did much more damage than anyone else thanks to area effect spells (I tracked this once with the aid of a program I wrote for a Radio Shack Model 100!). In a fantasy, doesn't it make sense for the magic users to be the most powerful characters? Heroes in novels, who often don't wield magic, are exceptions in many ways: without a lot of luck, they would never succeed.

Designers can avoid the "problem" of character class balance by using skill-based rules rather than rules with character classes. You can let players differentiate themselves from others by the skills they choose, without "unbalancing" them. And shouldn't each character feel different? There are certainly archetypes that character classes often follow, yet those archetypes exist for reasons other than "play balance!"

Still, won't magic use dominate? A GM/game designer can do things to mitigate the power of magic. For example. magic can be dangerous to use, and the world can be one of low rather than high magic, e.g. like Middle-earth more than like The Wheel of Time.

The Value of Combined Arms

In the only RPG I've designed--which is intended for use with a board game, so that simplicity is paramount--I use a classless system. But for a bigger game such as D&D, multiple classes help provide both differentiation and opportunities for cooperation ("combined arms"). And I enjoy devising new character classes. Whether you need a dozen or more classes is open to question, however. Nor do they need to be "equal."

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Coroc

Hero
Perfect balance is neither really achievable nor necessary. Each player of a different class should have his strength and weakness, and opportunities to "shine" regularly.
If I know a campaign is mostly wilderness, not many locks to pick and trapped chests then i recommend to my players not to select a rogue.
If I run (classic) ravenloft I tell a player that he is in for a really good chance for a very short life as an adventurer if he wants to play a (good aligned) paladin.
If it is some city setting with much communication and interaction with NPCs I recommend to my players to put some points into charisma or wisdom or intellect and / or social skills.

Balance in form of dpr output is neither measurable properly (How do you rule that your beefcake is charmed or dominated easily and how do you put that one into the equation?) nor necessary.

Balance in form of equal XP levels is basically built in into the 5e rules. But even if you run it differently e.g. only players present in the session get XP, this matters not much in 5e which can easily handle level differences of +- 2...3

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Sure. Because players really enjoy feeling they made the wrong choice while other players who picked the uber-class with all the winning feats and combos have more opportunities to shine, succeed, and otherwise dominate the game.

Is it really this easy for game designers to forget the most important aspect of any game is the player experience?

« Playing DnD is an exercise in collaborative creation »
These are the words of M Mearls in the preface of the PHB.
Balance take another flavor when you evaluate it from the collaborative point of view.

NotAYakk

Legend
The problem with "weak" classes or archtypes is that the "tough champion" who doesn't suck is a character concept it can easily discard. If magic is super strong, and PC non mages suck compared to mages, then entire character concepts that include "doesn't suck" are ruled out.

And doesn't suck is a reasonable character concept to want to play.

Balance in this sense is the freedom to have more character concepts that include "doesn't suck".

So 3e CoDzilla? Means that in comparison, every "mundane" PC simply sucks.

In a level-based system, playing a character that sucks is really easy. Just play a character far lower in levels than the rest of the party. When the game also makes certain archtypes suck at what they are doing...

I've played around with this in 3e. Given the tiers, what if a fighter literally gained 2-3 levels for every level a spellcaster did? At some point even that breaks down; a "level 500" fighter (who kept on getting HP, iterative attacks, HP, and (sub-epic) feats) will still "lose" to a level 17 batman wizard in most aspects of gameplay. But at least now that fighter can do some things that the wizard has to work at.

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
I think class balance is to get Players to play a greater variety of classes, or you may just end up with most groups just coalescing around elf wizards or some other Munchkin combo.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I think a more generally accepted meaning of balance when discussed by those familiar with the topic, is that there should be reasonable parity between any two given concepts. It doesn't mean they necessarily need to be perfectly equal in all things. Even 4e, arguably the best balanced version of D&D, never did that.

The example of the soccer player who scores lots of goals vs the one who gets lots of assists is an apt one. However, if there is a third player who is functionally just running back and forth across the field, effectively just watching the game despite trying to contribute, that's a real issue of balance.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
Balance is an ethereal concept that, IMHO, is badly misunderstood. Balance does not and cannot create a parity among the character classes because the roles of those classes often differ so much. Each character is played by a different player. Each character has different experiences as they progress. Even by third level, two human fighters taking the Champion sub-class will like look and play differently, as just one example.

Where balance comes into play is in empowering an engaged player to get the most out of their character, because each class can make a difference. In terms of D&D, I think 3E and 4E did a better job of this. They were not perfect, just better. The 5E Ranger, in the hands of an engaged player, can be successful, but it is still largely unnecessary as a class. I love the 5E Warlock, but I think with the way spells have been changed, that it overshadows wizards and sorcerers, especially the latter. Who needs Raistlin or Polgara when you have Elric?

But people still play these classes with great success. How? Because the game is versatile enough to allow different characters to slot into a party and fill a role. Rangers are not tanks, but they can fight and cast spells. Wizard and sorcerers do have fireball and other damage spells as well as utility options. Niche protection is largely gone, which is one knock against the idea of balance in my opinion. Balance and flavor are harder to, well keep balanced. One largely negates the other and vice versa.

Issues with balance during a session or campaign are something the DM needs pay close attention to. Although I am often reluctant to throw myself and other DMs under the bus, the balance issues in the early versions of the game are largely a function of poor encounter design. The example always given are fighters and magic users, but there are other examples as well. But the DM who paid attention was always able to challenge high level spell casters while letting the fighter wade into the fray and be a hero.

Game design cannot meet every need. That is why a variety of game types, even centered around the same basic mechanics, are better than one game trying to please everyone.

Clansmansix

Explorer
4th Edition D&D was a great example of creating balance with asymmetrical (or "unbalanced") design between character classes. If you did a one-on-one PvP battle, a striker class would likely annihilate anything else. Leaders made the group better with buffs and healing. Defenders soak up damage and punish monsters. Controllers debuff, shape the battlefield and do area damage. Strikers hit hard, doing big single target or good area damage.
And yet it gets guff for "sameyness" or "being too balanced" or whatnot. It's perfectly fine - as stated by Fanaelialae - for classes to not be equal in all things. They all have to be equally valid choices however. 3rd Edition failed at that miserably, and one can argue that 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D were pretty bad at it too. For me, 5E seems to have gotten the balance right, more or less. YMMV.

Banesfinger

Explorer
I believe it was Professor DM (Dungeon Craft) who said this is a game. As such, anything that lets one player be able to do 'more' on his turn, than other players, is overpowered/unbalanced.
For example, the old 3.5e monks with flurry of blows (4-5 attack rolls/turn) while a rogue got 1 attack roll.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads