D&D General Worlds of Design: Chaotic Neutral is the Worst

In my articles from the early 1980s I often characterized the typical D&Der as a hoodlum (hood). You may know them by many other names: ruffian, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, and more. Has anything changed?

In my articles from the early 1980s I often characterized the typical D&Der as a hoodlum (hood). You may know them by many other names: ruffian, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, and more. Has anything changed?

assassins-4427872_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.​

According to D&D Beyond, as reported by Morrus, the most popular alignment after Chaotic Good is Chaotic Neutral. I doubt the preponderance has changed much since the 80s; it might even be more common today in an Age of Instant Gratification thanks to the Internet. Even 40 years ago, most players wanted their characters to act like more or less Chaotic Neutral hoods, doing whatever they wanted but not responsible for what they did, able to act like hoodlums but not suffer the consequences of being of actual evil alignment. And they wanted to be called “Good” at the same time.

Fundamentally, this is a desire to avoid all constraints. Which is fairly natural for people, in general, though rarely attainable. But a game is an agreed set of constraints on behavior within the “magic circle” of the game. And some games have constraints that ought to affect the chaotic neutral character's behavior.

The typical hood wants to be able to do whatever he wants to, to other people. Occasionally killing one, or something just as evil, that’s OK as long as it isn’t excessive. In another context, I saw someone ask why so many people disliked a certain person as a liar, because after all he told the truth more often than he lied! That would be ideal standard for a hoodlum, but most people don’t see it that way. Key to this behavior is a desire to avoid responsibility, very common in the real world too - people wanting to do things without facing the consequences (taking responsibility).

The question is, how does “the game” see it? Taking D&D as the obvious example, we have alignment as a guide to behavior. The alignment system in D&D was designed (I think) to provide constraints on character behavior, so that games wouldn’t devolve into a bunch of murderers having their way with the game-world. Certain alignments have advantages in civilized society, some don’t. In uncivilized society, other alignments might be preferred. Chaotic Neutral (the alignment hoodlums gravitate to) should be a disadvantage in civilized contexts because it doesn’t include/condone permission to kill people whenever you feel like it (as long as you don’t do it often!). Yet that’s how players want to treat it. That’s Evil, and if you behave “evilly” you’re going to be in an Evil category, which makes you fair game for a lot of adventurers.

I’m not saying killing is necessarily evil, e.g. in wartime it’s expected that you kill the enemy if they won’t surrender. It’s the “senseless killing,” killing for sheer personal gain or enjoyment, that sets apart the hood (who wants to be called Chaotic Neutral, or better, Chaotic Good), and of course the “officially” Evil characters as well.

D&D GMs who feel that constraints make the game better, will enforce alignment and make clear to Chaotic Neutral types that they can easily slide into Evil alignment. Those who aren’t interested in constraints, will let the C/N types do just about everything they want to do without consequences. In other rule sets, who knows . . .

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary. If everyone wants to be a hood rather than a hero, and the GM is OK with that, so be it. It’s when you run into players who think (as I do) that these characters are the worst -- certainly, not someone you would want in your party! -- that we encounter problems.

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
I suddenly remember, from a long time ago, coming up with a CE religious tenet.

The idea was that anything you could take, or anyone you could defeat, added to your power in the afterlife. And anything you destroyed couldn't be taken away from you by someone else. So you burn, pillage, and murder your way through life because, in the eternal afterlife, you'd be all the stronger for it.

This was based on a view of the Planes that boiled down to "the afterlife works by the rules that you believed the living world worked or should work." The Abyss is an infinite pile of the strong crushing the weak.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
The idea was that anything you could take, or anyone you could defeat, added to your power in the afterlife. And anything you destroyed couldn't be taken away from you by someone else. So you burn, pillage, and murder your way through life because, in the eternal afterlife, you'd be all the stronger for it.

Those are really good ideas, and a nice differentiation from Lawful Evil, which focuses on conquest, hierarchy, and submission, whereas CE focuses on destruction.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Well, half-orcs are half-human as well. I'm also just relating the rules as I understand them. There are exceptions to all rules (including this one) but some monsters are just born evil is a core assumption. <...>

But even the FR novels struggle with this. In one of Salvatore's more recent books* where the companions are all brought back there's a scene where Cattie-Brie tells Drizzt (no apostrophe, that's in the last name only) that orcs are just plain evil because her god told her so. Apparently in FR, drow break the mold or something. Since elves are more "malleable" than other races I guess that makes sense.

I think this is a campaign preference. I don't allow monstrous races in my campaigns because, to be honest, I don't want to deal with philosophy 101 in my game. It's not what I play the game for.

In my home campaign, I thought this through a good bit.

I decided that goblins (including hobgoblins and bugbears) were not inherently evil, but that that was primarily a cultural thing. I had, however, decided they were a fae race, which meant they did have certain inherent tendencies, in their case towards war, because in that world that's how fae worked. (Elves tended towards nobility, gnomes towards crafting, dwarves towards mining and stone, etc.) Orcs, by contrast, were some unknown race from outside the world that had been strongly tainted by Far Realm energies and, as such, were inherently evil. Half orcs were frequently oppressed and viewed as being tainted, but were not inherently evil the way orcs were, due to their human blood. Of course, many were evil due to all the crap that came their way or the societies they lived in.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads