D&D General Worlds of Design: Chaotic Neutral is the Worst

In my articles from the early 1980s I often characterized the typical D&Der as a hoodlum (hood). You may know them by many other names: ruffian, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, and more. Has anything changed?

In my articles from the early 1980s I often characterized the typical D&Der as a hoodlum (hood). You may know them by many other names: ruffian, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, and more. Has anything changed?

assassins-4427872_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.​

According to D&D Beyond, as reported by Morrus, the most popular alignment after Chaotic Good is Chaotic Neutral. I doubt the preponderance has changed much since the 80s; it might even be more common today in an Age of Instant Gratification thanks to the Internet. Even 40 years ago, most players wanted their characters to act like more or less Chaotic Neutral hoods, doing whatever they wanted but not responsible for what they did, able to act like hoodlums but not suffer the consequences of being of actual evil alignment. And they wanted to be called “Good” at the same time.

Fundamentally, this is a desire to avoid all constraints. Which is fairly natural for people, in general, though rarely attainable. But a game is an agreed set of constraints on behavior within the “magic circle” of the game. And some games have constraints that ought to affect the chaotic neutral character's behavior.

The typical hood wants to be able to do whatever he wants to, to other people. Occasionally killing one, or something just as evil, that’s OK as long as it isn’t excessive. In another context, I saw someone ask why so many people disliked a certain person as a liar, because after all he told the truth more often than he lied! That would be ideal standard for a hoodlum, but most people don’t see it that way. Key to this behavior is a desire to avoid responsibility, very common in the real world too - people wanting to do things without facing the consequences (taking responsibility).

The question is, how does “the game” see it? Taking D&D as the obvious example, we have alignment as a guide to behavior. The alignment system in D&D was designed (I think) to provide constraints on character behavior, so that games wouldn’t devolve into a bunch of murderers having their way with the game-world. Certain alignments have advantages in civilized society, some don’t. In uncivilized society, other alignments might be preferred. Chaotic Neutral (the alignment hoodlums gravitate to) should be a disadvantage in civilized contexts because it doesn’t include/condone permission to kill people whenever you feel like it (as long as you don’t do it often!). Yet that’s how players want to treat it. That’s Evil, and if you behave “evilly” you’re going to be in an Evil category, which makes you fair game for a lot of adventurers.

I’m not saying killing is necessarily evil, e.g. in wartime it’s expected that you kill the enemy if they won’t surrender. It’s the “senseless killing,” killing for sheer personal gain or enjoyment, that sets apart the hood (who wants to be called Chaotic Neutral, or better, Chaotic Good), and of course the “officially” Evil characters as well.

D&D GMs who feel that constraints make the game better, will enforce alignment and make clear to Chaotic Neutral types that they can easily slide into Evil alignment. Those who aren’t interested in constraints, will let the C/N types do just about everything they want to do without consequences. In other rule sets, who knows . . .

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary. If everyone wants to be a hood rather than a hero, and the GM is OK with that, so be it. It’s when you run into players who think (as I do) that these characters are the worst -- certainly, not someone you would want in your party! -- that we encounter problems.

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

When CN is roleplayed well it can be quite amazing. Jack Sparrow is a fine example of CN done well. Jarlaxle when not being wholly evil is also a CN done well.

What you have when you get CN at its worst is people being jerks and acting unreasonably. And engaging in lots of reckless and impulsive stupidity. And then claiming "this is roleplaying". It is people justifying extremely poor behavior.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
I've always played Chaotic Neutral as "do what makes sense at the time." They're not evil -- they don't like or dismiss hurting people. They're not good -- they aren't going to get involved just because. They get involved when it matters to them or the things they care about.

My players have generally played CN like that too (not that we've discussed it.) Sure you have a few "chaos because fun" builds (I'm thinking of a certain cleric with a lollipop spiritual weapon) but that hasn't been the norm. The longest running PC was a pirate captain whose version of CN was "loot for us, and do what I say because I'm the strongest."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The problem with (all editions) of D&D is that it incentivises the "hood" (murder-hobo) behaviour. You get XP for killing things, and gain benefit for "taking their stuff".

If, for example, the game only gave you XP for rescuing kittens, and having tea with princesses, you'd see radically different behaviour...

This is it on the head right here. A lot of people are playing D&D not to be heroes but to kill dangerous things and take their stuff. So it strikes me as quite natural that people would gravitate toward CN. A character with some respect for authority and propriety (toward the lawful end of the scale) might actually find doing that sort of thing inappropriate since they have neither the right nor the justification. And someone who is seriously playing toward the good end would find it morally questionable.

Dausuul

Legend
One of the players in my group gravitates strongly toward Chaotic Wacky behavior. In real life, he is a full-time manager of a high-performing team who runs a couple of side businesses and has 5 kids. He's carrying several human beings' worth of responsibility on his back.

It doesn't make it less frustrating for the rest of us when he acts out in-game... but I can also understand why he does it. Dude needs a pressure valve, and this is what he's got, and it beats hell out of becoming an alcoholic or buying a sports car and running off with a 20-year-old.

All of which is my way of saying, I think a lot of folks play D&D precisely because it gives them a chance to run free and ignore consequences, which they cannot do in real life, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I used to have a player almost exactly like that. In-game he was always trying to cause chaos. If he could get the rest of the group into hijinx, he was happy. That this came at the expense of the actual adventure caused no small amount consternation for me.

I've become entirely suspicious of CN characters at my tables at this point. I've seen to many people that use it as an excuse to just do stuff "for the lulz." Yes, there are examples of interesting CN characters in fiction, movies, and TV. But pretty much every CN character I've encountered in D&D has had all the personality of a Monopoly token being moved around the board.

Part of this is certainly a personality clash. I almost always play lawful-aligned characters when I play. For me, having a code to play my character by is far more interesting.

One of the players in my group gravitates strongly toward Chaotic Wacky behavior. In real life, he is a full-time manager of a high-performing team who runs a couple of side businesses and has 5 kids. He's carrying several human beings' worth of responsibility on his back.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's not difficult to understand why. D&D is a game about defeating challenges. Having constraints on your actions makes the challenges harder. Thus people gravitate to the alignments with the least constraints and complications, in order to be more powerful. (And not have the DM mess with them over alignment, which is rarely fun play.)

That's why the original versions of paladins were more powerful than a standard class. They accepted a limitation on usable actions in exchange for more power within that narrower subset of allowable actions.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Back in high school, I loathed CN because my players pretty much took it to be a license to be a dick. Of course, we were in high school - my players could play LG Paladins as complete dicks (and rules lawyer away any attempts to restrict their powers). Let's face it, though - my HS group were complete dicks. In an Alternity game I ran, they once managed to slaughter half their own party before they even left spaceport.

Now, though, I don't mind it. CN isn't the crazy/dick alignment. As pointed out above, it's Jack Sparrow. It's Han Solo (until Episode 5 or so). It's Conan.

These guys like their freedom. They aren't going to go out of their way to save you or do the right thing, but they aren't going to shiv innocent people and take their wallets, either, or offer sacrifices to the dark lord. They probably abhor slavery and torture (all of the above mentioned characters certainly do). They make trouble- but hey, aren't we playing adventurers here? Isn't getting into ever-deepening trouble what it's all about?

In my games in HS, I always dreamed of having a group that wanted to play epic heroes... now, in close-to-middle-age, I'm more looking for a Conan, Grey Mouser, Jack Sparrow or Gord the Rogue type of game... gritty noir plus lots of hijinks and mischief.

CN is fine by me.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads