• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC asks "If you could create one D&D subclass, what would it be and what would it do?

Today on both Twitter and Facebook, WotC asked this question. On Twitter, they expanded this to say:

"What I really want to know is, if you could design one subclass, what would it be and what would it do? Maybe @mikemearls can use it on his #dnd stream!"

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/963502506104963077

https://www.facebook.com/dungeonsan...73340321070/10155910709746071/?type=3&theater

So what do you want and do you think your design is good enough for Mike? Or would you even want Mike to touch your idea? ;)

Id like a weapon master subclass fighter. At 3, 7 etc levels he gains the ability to do a different maneuver per short rest depending on the type of weapon.

Something like:

At 3rd when using a light weapon, your attacks gain +2 on the attack roll due to your training in precision. Heavy weapons deal an extra 1d6 damage when you wield them due to your ability to use the weight to your advantage. When wielding a polearm you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on an attacker entering into your range.

Thats not a proper write up, i have a more cemented idea in my mind. But it is basically a battlemaster that has his maneuvers tied to choice of weapons. They can change their weapons and then use the other maneuvers.

As for whether i would want mearls to have a crack at it? Hmmm, really not sure about that one!

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I always loved the dagger master paragon path for the rogue in 4e. However, 5e tends to represent specialty with a weapon in feats rather than subclasses and it admittedly doesn't have as much narrative ground to stand on as something like the assassin.

I feel like there's plenty of space left to explore with sorcerer subclasses. Would a fiendish bloodline step on the toes of the warlock too much? The distinction between 'unwillingly inheriting magic from an ancestor' and 'willingly making a deal for power' might be enough to differentiate it. Fiends are pretty diverse mechanically so it could be taken in a different direction than the fiendish patron.

gyor

Legend
I always loved the dagger master paragon path for the rogue in 4e. However, 5e tends to represent specialty with a weapon in feats rather than subclasses and it admittedly doesn't have as much narrative ground to stand on as something like the assassin.

I feel like there's plenty of space left to explore with sorcerer subclasses. Would a fiendish bloodline step on the toes of the warlock too much? The distinction between 'unwillingly inheriting magic from an ancestor' and 'willingly making a deal for power' might be enough to differentiate it. Fiends are pretty diverse mechanically so it could be taken in a different direction than the fiendish patron.

The Divine Soul sort of covers a fiendish ancestor.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

The Sorcerer and the Warlock should have been one class to begin with, every "power source" that works for the Warlock would also work for the Sorcerer. And after the Divine Soul/Celestial Pact planted their heels into the Clerics Foot, there is no reason to worry about stepping on toes now.

As for me: I want a Plant Druid, Archer Paladin, Thug (Str based) Rogue, and a Wizard subclass that not-so-smart people can play to feel smart.

Since I DM more than play, I will pick something that is as good (or better) for NPC's than PC's: Fiend-rage barbarian (He is fighting like a man possessed).

Like the war mage was half evoker and half abjurer, I think there should be a half conjurer/half enchanter to take advantage of those fiend summoning spells. I dub it the Reform School wizard (for those of you who are too young to remember, reform school was a euphemism for "juvenile correctional facility" back in the day).

Edit: I felt a little guilty about asking for things that are probably better for DM's than players, so:

In a lot of fantasy, the "natural" have an aptitude for sensing whatever it is they are the "natural" in is being used. Sorcerers are D&D's "naturals", but they don't fit this ideal at all. I would like a "weave sensitive" origin for the sorcerer who is good at detecting magic, magical items, or magical beings without having to use a spell (and is extra good at things like counterspell and dispel magic).

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Like the war mage was half evoker and half abjurer, I think there should be a half conjurer/half enchanter to take advantage of those fiend summoning spells. I dub it the Reform School wizard (for those of you who are too young to remember, reform school was a euphemism for "juvenile correctional facility" back in the day).

This makes me think of a Necromancer/Transmuter Wizard Fleshwarper.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
an adventurer subclass that eliminates the short rest dependence of the fighter (I can think of a few different ways to flavor it, but I would prefer something like a "adventurer" or "mercenary"--a nonmagic flavored second take on the champion.

the Vagabond Barbarian--for the barbarian that sees the bright lights and flesh pots of the sin cities and says "That's for me"; again, almost a champion flavored subclass for the barbarian, flavored around a guy who leaves home and does things, not someone who just carries the prejudices of his tribe with him (totem barbarian) or whose special abilities turn the tireless survivor idea on its head (berserker).

No more magic subclasses.

Naoki00_

First Post
Something that gives me options to decide or customize the way my character interacts with the world around them at every level or at least more than waiting till 7th to get a second related ability without having to be forced into a magic class. Honestly I wouldn't know what specifics it would be, but maybe something like the Maneuvers and superiority dice but in much more amount and variety.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads