WotC Backs Down: Original OGL To Be Left Untouched; Whole 5E Rules Released as Creative Commons

Hundreds of game publishers sigh in relief as, after extensive pressure exerted by the entire open gaming community, WotC has agreed to leave the original Open Gaming License untouched and put the whole of the 5E rules into Creative Commons.

So, what's happened?
  • The Open Gaming Licence v1.0a which most of the D&D third party industry relies on, will be left untouched for now.
  • The whole of the D&D 5E SRD (ie the rules of the game less the fluff text) has been released under a Creative Commons license.

WotC has a history of 'disappearing' inconvenient FAQs and stuff, such as those where they themselves state that the OGL is irrevocable, so I'll copy this here for posterity.

When you give us playtest feedback, we take it seriously.

Already more than 15,000 of you have filled out the survey. Here's what you said:
  • 88% do not want to publish TTRPG content under OGL 1.2.
  • 90% would have to change some aspect of their business to accommodate OGL 1.2.
  • 89% are dissatisfied with deauthorizing OGL 1.0a.
  • 86% are dissatisfied with the draft VTT policy.
  • 62% are satisfied with including Systems Reference Document (SRD) content in Creative Commons, and the majority of those who were dissatisfied asked for more SRD content in Creative Commons.
These live survey results are clear. You want OGL 1.0a. You want irrevocability. You like Creative Commons.
The feedback is in such high volume and its direction is so plain that we're acting now.
  1. We are leaving OGL 1.0a in place, as is. Untouched.
  2. We are also making the entire SRD 5.1 available under a Creative Commons license.
  3. You choose which you prefer to use.
This Creative Commons license makes the content freely available for any use. We don't control that license and cannot alter or revoke it. It's open and irrevocable in a way that doesn't require you to take our word for it. And its openness means there's no need for a VTT policy. Placing the SRD under a Creative Commons license is a one-way door. There's no going back.

Our goal here is to deliver on what you wanted.

So, what about the goals that drove us when we started this process?

We wanted to protect the D&D play experience into the future. We still want to do that with your help. We're grateful that this community is passionate and active because we'll need your help protecting the game's inclusive and welcoming nature.

We wanted to limit the OGL to TTRPGs. With this new approach, we are setting that aside and counting on your choices to define the future of play.
Here's a PDF of SRD 5.1 with the Creative Commons license. By simply publishing it, we place it under an irrevocable Creative Commons license. We'll get it hosted in a more convenient place next week. It was important that we take this step now, so there's no question.
We'll be closing the OGL 1.2 survey now.

We'll keep talking with you about how we can better support our players and creators. Thanks as always for continuing to share your thoughts.

Kyle Brink
Executive Producer, Dungeons & Dragons

What does this mean?

The original OGL sounds safe for now, but WotC has not admitted that they cannot revoke it. That's less of an issue now the 5E System Reference Document is now released to Creative Commons (although those using the 3E SRD or any third party SRDs still have issues as WotC still hasn't revoked the incorrect claim that they can revoke access to those at-will).

At this point, if WotC wants anybody to use whatever their new OGL v1.x turns out to be, there needs to be one heck of a carrot. What that might be remains to be seen.

Pathfinder publlsher Paizo has also commented on the latest developments.

We welcome today’s news from Wizards of the Coast regarding their intention not to de-authorize OGL 1.0a. We still believe there is a powerful need for an irrevocable, perpetual independent system-neutral open license that will serve the tabletop community via nonprofit stewardship. Work on the ORC license will continue, with an expected first draft to release for comment to participating publishers in February.

teitan

Legend
I imagine it depends on the retroclone, since the 1974 OD&D is a very different beast from Unearthed Arcana-style AD&D 1E. That said, it's important to remember that it's not just a question of rules mechanics per se. The 3.5 SRD has more spells than the 5.1 SRD has spells; the 3.5 SRD has more magic items than the 5.1 SRD has magic items; the 3.5 SRD has more monsters than the 5.1 SRD has monsters.

To put it another way, you could almost certainly make some sort of OSR game with the 5.1 SRD. But the 3.5 SRD simply offers more to work with, and so OSR games which have already been produced under the 3.5 SRD probably can't just switch out the 3.5 SRD under the OGL v1.0a for the 5.1 SRD under CC license, because there's a strong chance that they've used stuff from the former that isn't in the latter.

The concept is, sure, but since arrangements of words can potentially be a copyrightable expression, that means that you might be in tricky territory if you try to make up a 5.1 SRD-derived psionic power called tower of iron will, for instance. That term is in the 3.5 SRD, but not in the 5.1 SRD.

EDIT: For an example of this, OSRIC has an entry for the babau demon (page 213 of OSRIC v2.2). That's a creature you can find in the 3.5 SRD, but doesn't appear in the 5.1 SRD. So OSRIC can't just be ported over from the OGL to Creative Commons as-is.
Yes but those are all mechanically different from 1e, 2e or 5e that you can recreate them within the context of the 5.1 and CC-BY and not be in violation of the CC-BY. You are creating something new or tweaking. It's overthinking to be bringing in the OGL and 3.x SRDs because even then, what was crafted from them wasn't exactly sitting down with each element and going "this is morphing here like this" Race as Class for example did not exist in 3.x SRDs, just the concept of class, just the concept of dwarf. Magic Items don't require that they be spelled out in an SRD to be out there. Since the OGL is already out there and these things are already OGC, then they are already fair for development and then release into CC-BY as 5.1 derived because they can be modeled fairly and legally. It is not different than looking at a different licensing model. FOr the record I am looking forward to ORC and the opportunities it will provide as an alternative and I just think all this gnashing over 1.0a being made "irrevocable" is moot because WOTC doesn't care about 3.x rules or third party rules that are under it. If they cared about the OSR they already would have squelched it instead of looking to them as consultants for 5e.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In the rest of the post that you ignored there's a database filled with relevant cases.
Okay. Cases get overturned or new cases on slightly different facts and law turn out differently sometimes.
You are doing exactly that.
You don't get to tell me what I'm doing. ;) I get to tell you, and I'm telling you that I'm not saying that they will challenge it.
In the US anyone can sue anyone else for any reason at all. That's the ground state of the legal system
That's true, but if you don't have any grounds to sue on it gets tossed out right quick. Judges have dockets that are overflowing and they don't have time for that kind of silliness.

teitan

Legend
Epic levels are missing to get the CMI of BECMI, but surely you can invent rules for Levels 20-50 without referring to those?
Yeah levels beyond 20 don't really mean anything, Epic levels aren't something that need an SRD to protect. There are BECMI clones that go to level 36 and Epic Level 3.x was a whole other ball game that was Effective Levels and all sorts of weirdness that yeah.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But it's not clear that that puts any bar on WotC rescinding its offer - because at that point WotC would no longer be using CC's trademarks!
Is WotC even using any of CC's trademarks?
You and @ThorinTeague can make whatever assertions you want. I put more faith in Molly Shaffer Van Houweling <app stub>, who is a Professor at UC Berkeley and on the board of CC. I've read her 2007 piece on "The New Servitudes". Next on my list to look at is the 2011 one on the Blizzard case: I don't know the case, but from the title I'm hoping this will help me make sense of "automatic offers".

ADDENDUM: I just read the key bits of the paper. It didn't help me on my key question, but it's interesting and definitely relevant to helping understand a theory of the CC licence on which "automatic offers" can survive a withdrawal by WotC of its actual offer.
Has that theory been tested in court?

pemerton

Legend
Has that theory been tested in court?
I don't know. I don't know of any such case. I'm hoping someone can point me to one - as I read my of the literature I'll be looking to see what cases the academics point to.

I hope you (and others) can see that I'm not being dogmatic here, but am trying to build up my knowledge - and express it in my posts with appropriate honesty and circumspection - by drawing on reliable sources rather than instinctive and "common sense" responses. This is partly because that's my view of academic ethics. It's also because I think the community as a whole (though not some of us as individuals) got UTTERLY BLINDSIDED by WotC's move last month, in part due to not having taken seriously the need to have a legal theory of the OGL, and it would seem silly to go down the same path a second time.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't know. I don't know of any such case. I'm hoping someone can point me to one - as I read my of the literature I'll be looking to see what cases the academics point to.

I hope you (and others) can see that I'm not being dogmatic here, but am trying to build up my knowledge - and express it in my posts with appropriate honesty and circumspection - by drawing on reliable sources rather than instinctive and "common sense" responses. This is partly because that's my view of academic ethics. It's also because I think the community as a whole (though not some of us as individuals) got UTTERLY BLINDSIDED by WotC's move last month, in part due to not having taken seriously the need to have a legal theory of the OGL, and it would seem silly to go down the same path a second time.
Absolutely I see that you are not being dogmatic. You and almost all of the other attorneys here have been very clear that you are giving opinions that could be right or wrong, but you believe it to be X, and then post the legal theories and/or case law to back that opinion up.

It's primarily those without legal backgrounds that are being dogmatic about their position of what will happen.

teitan

Legend
Perhaps the new world of the CC licence is guaranteed never to head in the same direction. But I haven't seen what the guarantee is yet, either in legal or in commercial terms.
So all the technology and other people who have used these licenses and challenging of them that would undermine the very fabric of, well, the modern world, isn't enough evidence? The apps on your phone, your TV, your websites, your computer, your OS, your tablet etc. all use Creative Commons licenses of varying types. For any of them to be legally challenged and made revocable would undermine not just our technology but also the entire world economy in one fell swoop. Even so much as saying WOTC can revoke the CC-BY for 5.1 because it opens the can of worms that anyone who has issued a CC-BY for their product can now revoke their licenses and undue a thread that binds everything. Like midichlorians.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So all the technology and other people who have used these licenses and challenging of them that would undermine the very fabric of, well, the modern world, isn't enough evidence? The apps on your phone, your TV, your websites, your computer, your OS, your tablet etc. all use Creative Commons licenses of varying types. For any of them to be legally challenged and made revocable would undermine not just our technology but also the entire world economy in one fell swoop. Even so much as saying WOTC can revoke the CC-BY for 5.1 because it opens the can of worms that anyone who has issued a CC-BY for their product can now revoke their licenses and undue a thread that binds everything. Like midichlorians.
Maybe, or maybe not. Different kinds of products have different statutes and rules that govern them. Even if say the CC was overturned in whole or in part for TVs, that doesn't mean that cell phones would be affected. And something that works to overturn the CC for cellphones might not work with computers. And RPGs are different from all of those, so if the CC could be revoked for RPGs, all of the above could still be safe.

see

Pedantic Grognard
So all the technology and other people who have used these licenses and challenging of them that would undermine the very fabric of, well, the modern world, isn't enough evidence?
No. Judges care a lot about court precedents and long-hallowed legal authorities, and may be convinced by theory arguments from law professors and legal journals. "Everybody in the business does it this way!" not so much.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases