WotC WotC blacklist. Discussion

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I am not surprised there is a blacklist for WotC. I am sure it is unspoken or at least, 'unwritten', but there are definitely people WotC, a division of Hasbro, would not want to be associated with in any context. Unfortunately, there are also people who have spoken out about WotC practices that are on it for being 'difficult'. And there are people who have no idea they are on a list, white or black because this position is never communicated. Personally, I will assume I am on their blacklist and not that I am an untalented hack. For ego's sake.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
My unreliable memory was that there was a brief period in mid-3e when various Wizards employees dropped by here periodically.

Then around the time of Gleemax and 4e, there was some kind of company decision to try to pull away from such interactions, and consolidate the D&D team’s web presence in their own playgrounds.

Then in the D&D 5e playtesting era, Mike Metals would drop by periodically.

And then that stopped.

Personally, I’m glad we don’t see those pre-release D&D promotional articles here. Those feel so suspect.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My unreliable memory was that there was a brief period in mid-3e when various Wizards employees dropped by here periodically.

Then around the time of Gleemax and 4e, there was some kind of company decision to try to pull away from such interactions, and consolidate the D&D team’s web presence in their own playgrounds.

Then in the D&D 5e playtesting era, Mike Metals would drop by periodically.

And then that stopped.
I'm not sure, but I think WotC staff generally don't post much on social media that isn't official promotional stuff these days. I don't have any insight into it, but looking at a couple of them, they've steered away from online discussions.

Personally, I’m glad we don’t see those pre-release D&D promotional articles here. Those feel so suspect.

I don't know about 'suspect' -- they're part of a marketing strategy, of course. We here tend to know everything beforehand, so while I do get PR emails from WotC's outsourced PR agency (360 Degree Media or something, I think it's called?) it's always announcing something we've been reporting on for months already. I personally feel that operating in that PR-space isn't a great fit for us.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I dont remember it when I was younger either. First time I remember encountering this type of logic was in the late 90s/early 2000's when the participation trophy was instituted in tee ball. Now those kids are adults, see the connection.
This whole discussion is a tangent, but it's always weird to me when people hold participation trophies as a negative against the recipients, rather than the parents who asked for and are responsible for them. :/

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I dont remember it when I was younger either. First time I remember encountering this type of logic was in the late 90s/early 2000's when the participation trophy was instituted in tee ball. Now those kids are adults, see the connection.
That seems a rather big leap of correlation there. There are quite a number of things that have changed culturally in the late 90s to early 2000s, and more things have changed since. To pick out one and lay blame on it seems like it needs more support than "this happened around a time that kids have now grown up".

R_J_K75

Legend
That seems a rather big leap of correlation there. There are quite a number of things that have changed culturally in the late 90s to early 2000s, and more things have changed since. To pick out one and lay blame on it seems like it needs more support than "this happened around a time that kids have now grown up".
I singled that out as one examples out of the possible many.

Remove ads