WotC WotC Generates 75% Of Hasbro's Profit

ICv2 is reporting that WotC generated $110M of Hasbro's $147.3M operating profits in the first quarter of this year, with an increase of 15% on last year. Of overall sales, WotC generated (only!) 22% of Hasbro's $1.1B. The growth is attributed to Magic: the Gathering and D&D. Recently, Hasbro restructured with 'WotC and Digital Gaming' getting it own division...

ICv2 is reporting that WotC generated $110M of Hasbro's $147.3M operating profits in the first quarter of this year, with an increase of 15% on last year.

wotc.jpeg

Of overall sales, WotC generated (only!) 22% of Hasbro's $1.1B.

The growth is attributed to Magic: the Gathering and D&D. Recently, Hasbro restructured with 'WotC and Digital Gaming' getting it own division.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
???

I meaaaaaaan I'm not really see that as a compelling claim unless we have figures for DTRPG from say 2014. Do we? It would be very easy to make/dismiss that claim if we did. Without them, it's impossible to properly evaluate that claim without incredibly hard work going through large numbers of products and comparing when they were originally added (if that's even possible).

The only categories which are strikingly close, to me, are the top two, Mithral and Adamantine. That is suggesting that if you sell BIG UNITS you wanna have a DMsguild product. Especially if you're a smaller publisher.

DMsguild:

2646 products (11.95%)​
2765 products (12.48%)​
1534 products (6.93%)​
904 products (4.08%)​
562 products (2.54%)​
189 products (0.85%)​
62 products (0.28%)​

DriveThru:
14333 products (13.99%)​
15539 products (15.17%)​
7476 products (7.3%)​
3705 products (3.62%)​
1441 products (1.41%)​
260 products (0.25%)​
113 products (0.11%)​

You haven't succeeded in either claim absent other figures. We can probably work some math to figure out whether it's negligible or not, but that hasn't actually been done, and we need backdated figures to show that DMsguild has "clearly more sales volume". If these can be provided, then you can "refute" or say it's "clear" but that is not yet viable.

????

I meaaaaaan those DTRPS sales numbers for their metals are from the inception of DriveThruRPG.

So you're comparing 4+ years of sales on DMsGuild with what, 13-14 years of DriveThruRPG? I forget when they launched.

Last edited:

????

I meaaaaaan those DTRPS sales numbers for their metals are from the inception of DriveThruRPG.

So you're comparing 4+ years of sales on DMsGuild with what, 13-14 years of DriveThruRPG? I forget when they launched.
Oh, mocking how I write? Classy and very persuasive and demonstrative of so much good faith!

My point remains, and in fact, if you read the update, the publishing dates of the products in the Adamantine region strongly supports my contention that we're seeing an across-the-board surge in digital RPG product sales rather than one specific to DMsguild. Specifically this is evidenced by it appearing that the best-selling "high price" products are ones only published in the last 2-3 years.

The goose of the golden eggs would be right if we talk about souce of income but in this case I refered like the "favorite before king's eye".

They are making money with the digital market. They haven't to spend for printing and sending to the shops, and they are selling books from previous decades. The videogame indutry makes a lot of money, but the titles very fastly lose their original value and become obsolete, but as pieces for collectors.

In my opinion Hasbro's strategy is about managing brands. Selling merchandising is easier when it is about popular franchises, for example superheroes, videogames or cartoon characters. Now Hasbro is selling a lot of toys about Star Wars and Marvel Superheroes.

We also to remember Hasbro knew what was doing when they bought Entertaiment-One. They want to produce movies and teleseries to promote their own franchises. Hasbro needs the best producers to create the ultimate cartoons. Transformers' return was possible thanks Michael Bay's movies, and the reboot of My Little Pony has been a total smash-hit, even with with its ow movie in the cinemas. The big and little screens are the best way to promote their IPs.

It is not only the indirect adversticing with Critical Role or Stranger Things, but other titles as the movies of the Lord of the Rings and teleseries as the Witcher, Game of Thrones, or videogames as World of Warcraft or Diablo. D&D is now in the middle between normal and exotic.

Not so much mocking how you write as drawing your attention to how needlessly obnoxious your tone was for literally no reason.
Okay, so personally I'd read that as insulting me in a rather petty way that people used to do when I was a kid, rather than "drawing attention", just so you know. If you'd just done ??? it might have conveyed your idea better and also seemed funny.

My point remains re: the evidence supporting a rapid growth in sales in the last two-three years on DTRPG. We see a kind of similar pattern in what's in the top too, either low-price broad-applicability stuff (mostly battlemaps with DTRPG, mostly lists of stuff and low-priced adventures with DMsguild), or fairly zeitgeist-y stuff. I note that DMsguild has a lot more PWYW in the Adamantine - 14 of the 62 are PWYW as compared to 1 in the 113 on DTRPG. But I think that's less interesting than the apparently best-selling stuff being recent.

Last edited:

Folks, all love to DnD and it's current success is possibly the best it has ever enjoyed, but when we talk WotC revenue, we are talking about Magic. DnD is just a good side hustle.

Remove ads

Remove ads