• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC just mailed out VILLAGE OF HOMMLET 4E..got mine

gribble

Explorer
They actually have a long tradition of awesome freebies to go along with RPGA membership. I still pine over the practically fist-sized d20 "Fist of Emirikol" die they gave away one year that flew under my radar (until it was too late).
Yep, that thing is awesome, and they were even good enough to send it to me in little old New Zealand. The only downside was that the courier left it on the doorstep, and by the time I got home my dog had opened the box and used the fist (and other contents of the box) as chew toys for the day. Luckily she was more interested in the repainted minis than the fist though, and it escaped with only minor damage...
:)

JeffB

Legend
I meant there is a huge difference between the two types of products being offered as a reward, Mark (i.e. Tristor and VOH)

Now, I of course have signed up (again) knowing now how I can get it by "cheating" (and I would have paid for it!)- thats water under the bridge, but I see it like this.

what if, instead of VOH- It was

32-40 pgs worth of the Iconic D&D monsters that were left out of the 4E MM

or

32-40 pgs that had the Class descriptions and powers for say the Bard & the Monk

And you heard the only way you could get these was getting it as a reward for being an RPGA DM? I guarantee ALOT of people would be pi$$ed if that was the case, right?

To me something Iconic like the VOH is FAR more desirable than the two hypothetical things I mentioned just now- so maybe people can understand why I was "upset" about it prior to finding out how I *could* get it. Still, I feel bad for the people who have will not have access to VOH, because they are not privy to the info in this thread.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I meant (. . .)

I see. Still, let's keep an appointment if we don't both get the freebie. :)

Still, I feel bad for the people who have will not have access to VOH, because they are not privy to the info in this thread.

If WotC is doing one thing of which this ePub (me) approves, it's driving more gamers to online interfaces and acclimating them to electronic/online forms of tabletop game products. :D

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
And you heard the only way you could get these was getting it as a reward for being an RPGA DM? I guarantee ALOT of people would be pi$ if that was the case, right?

To me something Iconic like the VOH is FAR more desirable than the two hypothetical things I mentioned just now- so maybe people can understand why I was "upset" about it prior to finding out how I *could* get it. Still, I feel bad for the people who have will not have access to VOH, because they are not privy to the info in this thread.
Listen.

The only reason you felt bad is because you weren't reading carefully and made the unwarranted assumption that it was a reward for RPGA DMs, as opposed to a reward (for free) for signing up (for free) to the RPGA and letting them know where you live.*

Stop going on with this arrant nonsense about "something you can only get as an RPGA DM" because that's not the case, it's not relevant to the discussion in any way, shape, or form, and it's not cute to see you stumbling your way to understanding anymore.

* I think it's pretty obvious why Wizards of the Coast is willing to give something cool away, or at least one reason: it lets them collect hard numbers on D&D players.

Hellzon

First Post
The only reason you felt bad is because you weren't reading carefully and made the unwarranted assumption that it was a reward for RPGA DMs, as opposed to a reward (for free) for signing up (for free) to the RPGA and letting them know where you live.*

To be fair, I had that impression too. (Was looking for the RPGA adventures in general.) There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding going on regarding the RPGA.

Edit: Another thing they get from this is crude rulebook ownership stats. Because there is no effing way you'll make the GM Herald test without either reading from the books or having Compendium access.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Stop going on with this arrant nonsense about "something you can only get as an RPGA DM" because that's not the case, it's not relevant to the discussion in any way, shape, or form, and it's not cute to see you stumbling your way to understanding anymore.

Ok I listened. Now..

Read my post again..(and try not to stumble though it) because clearly I was describing how I felt BEFORE this whole stupid "gimmick to get people to sign up for the RPGA" was explained...I made it quite clear "I get it now" a page or so back (becaue you know, I was trying to sign up to the RPGA and all).

And judging from the post after yours, I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Or maybe post #5 in this thread may have made some of us feel that way.

rechan said:
WotC is sending out the adventure as a reward for DMs who signed up for D&D Day, or for running the PHB2 event in March, or whatever.

I'm going back to being cute again now.:heh:

Last edited:

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I am going to ask some people in this thread to do me a favor and please chill out.

I don't want the thread to get locked due to back and forth bickering.

There is good information being shared here and I want people to know about the program

Yes it is a gimmick. We wanted to give away a nice freebie to:

a) Reward DMs for running games (DMs are our valuable customers and a great way to grwo the brand is to make more DMs) More DMs=more games=more players=brand growth

b) Raise awareness of this program. Who doesn't like free stuff? Especially getting free stuff for doing something fun like running a D&D game.

c) Get good/current contact info to use from time to time direct market to active customers. The marketing is mostly about about things they might want to know (like a game day dates and new programs). BTW this is an opt in program so we won't send you marketing emails unless you want them.

Thanks,

darjr

I crit!
This wonderful little gift made a splash during Sunday RPGA at my FLGS. At first some didn't know what it was, including the person who brought it in, until I unfolded the moat house map.

I felt like I was revealing deep dark secrets of magic. I got chills.

Thanks again.

and yes, the web site is a little difficult to deal with

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This wonderful little gift made a splash during Sunday RPGA at my FLGS. At first some didn't know what it was, including the person who brought it in, until I unfolded the moat house map.

I felt like I was revealing deep dark secrets of magic. I got chills.

Ooh... that makes me wish I wasn't addicted to spoiler sites like EN World.

Cheers!

Remove ads