• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC just mailed out VILLAGE OF HOMMLET 4E..got mine

JoeGKushner

First Post
When I look at it, I'm only eligible for magic player rewards...

Home > Events > Signup English 中文(简体) 中文(繁體) français Deutsch italiano 日本語 Português español русский

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are eligible to sign up for the following memberships:
Magic Player Rewards

Return to your personal information page

vagabundo

Adventurer
When I look at it, I'm only eligible for magic player rewards...

Home > Events > Signup English 中文(简体) 中文(繁體) français Deutsch italiano 日本語 Português español русский

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are eligible to sign up for the following memberships:
Magic Player Rewards

Return to your personal information page

You've probably already signed up. There is a list of what your signed up for on the RPGA page after login. With these Cards that you can print out.

------------

Ohhh, here is a pic and some blurb.. and someone cashing in on ebay. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Village-of-...temQQimsxZ20090523?IMSfp=TL090523134006r31047

JoeGKushner

First Post
You've probably already signed up. There is a list of what your signed up for on the RPGA page after login. With these Cards that you can print out.

But where do I go to get adventurers and other bits for the store I run at? The whole thing is very unintuitive for me.

But where do I go to get adventurers and other bits for the store I run at? The whole thing is very unintuitive for me.

I'm in the same boat. I can get as far as getting a list of scenarios(completed the Herald DM test), selecting adventures, and even scheduling an event but still no ability to actually download/ obtain the selected adventures.

vagabundo

Adventurer

Ohhh that's a whole other kettle of fish, here is the breakdown:

- Do the judges/DM test to become a herald level DM
- You can then setup private "events" using WPN <i think or WPC or something>
- Once you have setup a new "event" you can download an adventure to run at the "event".

Yeah the website is made of pants, and was created by a group of lemmings wearing pants. In truth it looks like a loads of databases that they are in the precess of combining, Scottie too hottie - earlier in the thread - said that they are in the process of streamlining it.

Windjammer

Adventurer
So, for anyone who has recieved thier copy.

Any reviews up yet?

Not really, though a poster at Paizo raised a couple of interesting observations.
Torc the Orc @ Paizo said:
My friend just received this in the mail so I had a chance to look it over yesterday. I own every published version of Hommlet and have run each version of this adventure at least once. The 4E version of The Village of Hommlet is, in a word, awful.

T1 was my very first D&D module and I ran nearly every playing group I was involved with over the next 20 years through it. The immortal Moathouse claimed many an aspiring adventurer long before their youthful dreams were ever realized. (Watch out for that tick!)
When T1-4 came out I snapped up a copy and sent a small group to infiltrate the Temple. Many months, nay years, of game play later the adventure culminated with the successful exploration of the nodes, the retrieval of the power gems and the final destruction of the Goldenskull!
Imagine our surprise when Return to TOEE was published some years later. Iuz and Zuggtomoy were merely puppets! Mighty Tharizdun had been pulling the strings all along. I quickly jumped at the chance to revisit an old favorite reworked and reimagined for a new edition with new stories and surprises introduced throughout. Who knew that the Giant Crayfish guarded anything more sinister than the bones of its previous victims! As a DM I tried for a fresh approach to "Return" and thus framed it as quest to reclaim a lost Dwarven Homeland. Action was centered in Rastor and the original TOEE comes in only later in the campaign. Alas the adventure was not to be completed. After the discovery of the Dwarven shrine in the Temple of All-Consumption the campaign went on extended hiatus. Perhaps it will live again down the road.

Why then, given my enthusiasm for every previous incarnation, is the latest version of Hommlet so contemptible? Let me count the ways.

1) The cover. The original T1 cover depicted Lareth (the BBEG), the aforementioned crayfish, the Moathouse and guards wearing the flaming eye. The reprint of T1 depicted the ghouls (or are they the zombies?) from beneath the Moathouse. T1-4 had the facade of the TOEE itself on the front cover. (Was there ever a better front cover for a mod?) Even "Return" shows a guard or priest peering from a lit door into a shadowy hallway which could conceivably be an Elemental cultist guarding one of the Temple's many hallways. The cover of the 4E version of Hommlet, on the other hand, shows a shadowy skyline of a "village" that bears absolutely no resemblance to the original Hommlet. There are harpies, dragons, and what? gargoyles? quasits? imps? perching on roofs and hovering over what seems more like a small city, judging by the skyline. Huh? No way was this picture drawn with Hommlet in mind. This was a picture of an entirely different place pasted on the cover with little regard to what was printed on the pages behind it.

2) Interior art and maps. Almost all of the interior art is recycled from the original. (They even repeat the same picture on the bottom of both page 1 and page 2!) The maps are repeated endlessly as well. There are 7 different maps for the Moathouse basement alone. 1 on the back page that depicts the whole level and then 6 inside that show smaller sections of the basement with some additional tactical notations. Maybe my first edition is showing, but how many tactical maps must one have? The map on the back page was plenty big enough to add whatever tactical detail deemed necessary. The repetition was both unnecessary and unfortunate because it wasted interior space that would have been better spent on...

3) Flavor. As in there was nearly none. A great deal of the original flavor was watered down, generalized, or missing entirely. Elmo no longer has a "brudder Otis". Kobort and Turuko are also gone. Many of the other named NPC's from the original are given short shrift and have been drained of personality. Jaroo and Gundigoot are no longer well meaning snoops with a cache of weapons laid secretly by in the cellar as insurance against the reemergence of dark times. Furnok of Ferd is now a dwarf(!?) without his "loaded knucklebones" and he no longer offers up a scroll in the hopes of parlaying it into far more... Gone is the detailed look at the Church of St. Cuthbert (now replaced with the ubiquitous Pelor) with its delightful, almost Zen like, koans. (SQUARE CORNERS CAN BE POUNDED SMOOTH or LAWFUL CORRECTION LIES IN A STOUT BILLET - classic!) None of the missing material is replaced with anything of substance or anything new.

There is a new 2 sided color map, you say? It is a cheap version of a Paizo Flip Mat, I say.

It is an homage to D&D's roots, you say? It is a lazy, uninspired "effort" that does little to capture the feel of the original "Gygaxian" roots of the game, I say.

All in all, a shameful exploitation of one of the original icons of our game. I can't even begin to imagine what Gary Gygax would think.

While I think that final line has some bite - especially since WotC put Gygax' name on the cover, implying a sort of cooperative authorship - I've also heard of other people's experience who ran the thing on its own terms (i.e. scratched the whole idea that this was an attempt to re-capture T1) and they enjoyed the module thoroughly.

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
While I think that final line has some bite - especially since WotC put Gygax' name on the cover, implying a sort of cooperative authorship -
Or a deferential nod to the original author, lest anyone think Wizards are staking claim to one of the iconic modules of the game. Another occasion where they simply couldn't win either way. (And personally I'm not inclined to sympathise with any commentary that invokes Gygax's name the way this guy did.)

Windjammer

Adventurer
Or a deferential nod to the original author
If even half of the Paizo post's content is true, then "deferential" strikes me as an odd choice of adjective in this context.
, lest anyone think Wizards are staking claim to one of the iconic modules of the game. Another occasion where they simply couldn't win either way.
Oh, they could have - and in fact, did so, on a previous occasion. Not only is the following side-bar a superb way to handle (as opposed to: dodge) the issue. Also, the 3.5 module to which the side-bar belongs is a supreme example of how to treat classic material respectfully while not letting deference getting the better on the obvious needs to bring classic material in line with the underlying design principles of modern incarnations of D&D.

Erik Mona said:
CASTLE GREYHAWK: A TRUE ORIGINAL

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk takes place on the Material Plane world of Oerth, specifically near the City of Greyhawk at the center of a continent called the Flanaess. The laws of the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS game govern the affairs of Oerth and its countless citizens, who worship the deities outlined in the Player’s Handbook and chapter 5 of Complete Divine. In the World of Greyhawk, the current year is 597 CY (Common Year).
Castle Greyhawk was the original campaign of D&D cocreator Gary Gygax, who developed most of the game’s classic rules while leading characters such as Erac’s Cousin, Tenser, Otto, and Serten through the dungeon’s dangers. “Zagig Yragerne” is a play on Gary’s name, and much of Castle Greyhawk’s reputation for deviousness came from Gary’s Dungeon Mastering style. When the business of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS consumed more and more of Gygax’s time, Greyhawk’s DM duties fell to Robert J. Kuntz, an expert on Castle Greyhawk from his years playing its most frequent explorer, the doughty Lord Robilar.

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk is not intended to precisely model Gygax and Kuntz’s original campaign, but it takes inspiration from the exploits of a legion of early D&D player characters who fought and died there so that all of us could enjoy the greatest roleplaying game ever created. Thanks, guys.
This one’s for you.

What's more, WotC staff is perfectly capable to handle classic material respectfully when converting it to 4E and - in the process of doing so - showing how the new edition can really capture what was, and remains, great about the original. Just to see this, consider the following:

4th edition said:

The hobgoblin torturer, a foul mouthed braggard clad in black leather armor and wearing a leathermask to hide a face disfigured by burns, picks up two hot pokers and rushes to attack. He tries to bull rush a PC into the iron maiden. The goblin warrior moves adjacent to the iron maiden along the south wall so that he can slam the device shut if a PC is shoved into it. Closing the iron maiden's door is a minor action. .. Iron Maiden: Anyone in the iron maiden when the device is closed receives 10 points of damage.​
1st edition said:
Torture chamber. .. The Torturer has a sword nearby. If both [the headsman and the torturer] are meleed, they will react as follows: the Torturer will grab his opponent and attempt to throw him or her into the iron maiden and slam it shut (causing 10 to 100 hit points of damage to the victim and trapping him or her therein until released). This requires a to-hit score success (which indicates that the grab and hurl score were successful) plus another successful to-hit score, this time at +4, to slam the device shut.​

I bow my head to Mike Mearls for this gem of design.

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
Oh, they could have - and in fact, did so, on a previous occasion. Not only is the following side-bar a superb way to handle (as opposed to: dodge) the issue. Also, the 3.5 module to which the side-bar belongs is a supreme example of how to treat classic material respectfully while not letting deference getting the better on the obvious needs to bring classic material in line with the underlying design principles of modern incarnations of D&D.
In this matter, I'm really not interested in yours or anyone else's views on the quality of the conversion. I'm simply suggesting that if Village of Hommlet 4E had appeared with no-one's name on the cover except "Andy Collins", then this fellow's review would probably have accused Wizards of staking claim to iconic material they didn't create.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads