Dragonlance WotC Officially Confirms Takhisis and Tiamat Are The Same

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today...

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today, WotC is putting its foot down and saying that Takhisis and Tiamat are, indeed, the same being.

Of course, this is not an opinion universally held. Dragonlance co-creator Margaret Weis emphatically stated that "TAKHISIS IS NOT TIAMAT, DAMN IT!"

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.19.14 AM.png

Fizban's Treasuryof Dragons confirms that the beings echo across various settings.

kerleth

Explorer
I mean, that's all fair.....

....Proceeds to educate me on Tiamat lore I was missing like I expected might be the case....

....Edit: Further...it's not like I'm being demeaning here. I literally pointed out how this actually demonstrates that Dragonlance, for all the crap people fling at it, has permanently changed the lore of D&D as a whole. That recognizing the deep (but not totally all-encompassing) connection between Tiamat and Takhisis is, in a very meaningful sense, showing how Dragonlance has asserted its own canon over what came before. So it's frustrating to be simultaneously told not to give flippant responses that ignore important context in a way that is kind of flippant and ignores important context.
Firstly, thank you for giving me that tidbit of info on Tiamat. I suspected something like that might be the case, and I appreciate you for letting me know. 'm unaware if that 4E example was a new thing, or whether there were similar stories going back much further. If that was inspired by Takhisis and entertained a bunch of people, that is wonderful. If it wasn't, and was an off and on again thing all along, that's great too. I'm not being flippant, I genuinely think both would be Good Things (TM) and appreciate you letting me know.

Also, I believe you that you didn't intend to be demeaning. However, pointing out Takhisis was influential while mocking people for not liking the characters being the same aren't contradictory and don't negate each other. They are two seperate points. What you did was kind of like the noble savage stereotype. I'm struggling to explain, so I apologize for any difficulties in comprehending my fumbling attempts to get the idea across. It's vaguely condescending in a "even you lowlies have things that us superior peoples could learn from" way. In this much more minor case, you mock the viewpoint and people who hold it but compliment how wonderfully useful the "wrong" thing has been to the "right" thing. I get that is not your intention, but it's still definitely going on there. I hope that you are able to intuit what I'm actually trying to explain there, because I am not at all confident I put it in a way a total stranger could reliably understand. The main takeaway is that the example you gave as evidence of not being demeaning, doesn't actually touch on the part that was unintentionally demeaning. If how that works doesn't seem to make sense maybe someone else can explain it better, and I apologize for any frustration my failure there has caused.

@darjr but also kind of @ everyone getting all tribalistic about this. Eh, in isolation maybe. ;) But I've seen a lot of shitting on dragonlance and it's fans, even on enworld which is a pretty polite place. I actually agree with you about the fans who are being things I am not allowed to accurately describe using common language due to forum rules. But any treating the fandom as a monolith discussion aside, a lot of those misunderstandings don't actually matter. At the end of the day inspired by does not mean is. There is no real answer, because these aren't real things. Like with comics, it all falls apart as soon as you think about it for five seconds. And then a subset of fans start arguing about how it really works, what the One True Canon(TM) is, as though that's a concept that even makes sense. As though they weren't a hodgepodge of independent but interlinked things riddled with inconsistencies due to the natural limitations of human ability and the intrinsic limitations of what a story is. Dragonlance and its fandom gets an unfair amount of condescension and scorn in the same vein as people going on about real literature. I'm extremely tempted to go on a rant about people who hate kender because of other people who flanderized Tasslehoff Burrfoot, but I'm luckily lazy enough to rein in my rant.

My personal take on the whole thing, for anyone bored enough to care is this. Connected universes are the current flavor for large corporations. Large corporations view everything as a resource to be converted into money. Large corporations and the system they exist in heavily encourages short term gain. Restricting choice is a very effective means of manipulating supply and demand in corporations favor. Niches have hard limits on their profitability, which makes wider niches better investments for large corporations (at least in their thinking). Many valuable experiences, stories, products, etc., aren't one size fits all. All of these together means that corporations do their best to make a single product that as many people as possible purchase without even considering alternatives, and tend to rot the communities from within because community+longevity and profit+hierarchies are mostly inimical and those niche not one size fits all stories are the very things that made the communities and the product a thing to begin with. This is just one tiny piece of both WOTC and multi-industry trends. It is that trend that I personally take issue with. Look at how WOTC is handling race vs Level Up with Heritage and Culture. It's the mindset behind those approaches in a different venue. WOTC is Sauron with the One Ring, Level Up is someone working symbiotically with the food web. And I personally take issue with Sauron, and Wormtongue, and the totally not Sauron Necromancer, and Saruman even when they come bearing gifts and compliments. Because a look under the hood shows exactly what is going on, and it's not good for the the hobbits, the elves, the dwarves, et all, OR the wonderfully chaotic and diverse fellowship. One size fits all ism from corporation is reason enough all by itself for someone to take issue with something.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Should have gone with 'variant' instead of 'echo'.

This Tiamat is a bratty goth girl mad at her dopey big bro and calls her DarK Persona Takisis. This Tiamat isn't even a god or super dragon, but a raksasha.

What we need to do is bring back the missing sister with yellow, orange and purple heads. And make Bahamut also a dracocerberus so the evil one doesn't represent unity of its people's while the good one is Just Better than its plebs (also, freeing up room for a platinum dragon as an actual monster).

kerleth

Explorer
"Canon" in general is basically just Calvinball where what is the truth one day can be retconned the next by whoever has the authority to do so.
This, all the thisses that have ever thissed. Exactly what you said here + the etymology of fan likely being at least partly coming from fanatic and ALL that implies + our ill thought out inconsistent notions around intellectual property is what this is about. It's what it's about pretty much every time this sort of discussion happens.

throws grenade Besides, the real travesty is treating the characters of Bahamut and Paladine as the same. Paladine has a much more nuanced and mature understanding of morality than totally an original character Bahamut. queue maniacal laughter at the chaos and twitching from people who know the difference between queue and cue

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
EDIT: "Canon" in general is basically just Calvinball where what is the truth one day can be retconned the next by whoever has the authority to do so. For example,

When the distance between changes is on the order of decades, this seems to be much ado about nothing.

We are not entitled to canon that does not change over entire human lifetimes.

Remathilis

Legend
When the new kid with the IP keeps altering your creation more and more, it makes you bitter.
The alternative is that IP remains static, unchanging and dead. You don't get the Star Wars EU, the Doctor Who 2005 revival, any Star Trek after TNG, or any X-Men that weren't the ones made by Stan Lee. You sure as hell don't get modern Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman!

Honestly, this might be the best argument for copyright ending shortly after the owners death. Darcy Stoker might not like what became of his family's creation, but we are far better off with the dozens of takes on Dracula than one faithful only to the novel.

Remove ads

Remove ads