• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance WotC Officially Confirms Takhisis and Tiamat Are The Same

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today...

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today, WotC is putting its foot down and saying that Takhisis and Tiamat are, indeed, the same being.

Of course, this is not an opinion universally held. Dragonlance co-creator Margaret Weis emphatically stated that "TAKHISIS IS NOT TIAMAT, DAMN IT!"

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.19.14 AM.png

Fizban's Treasuryof Dragons confirms that the beings echo across various settings.

Dire Bare

Legend
So dilution of quality, for dubious results, but at least someone is making a buck?
Please. Like everything DC puts out is of amazing quality.

Currently, with IP locked behind copyright . . . 90% of everything is crap.

If we did away with copyright, or weakened it, allowing others to create using well known characters like Batman and Superman . . . 90% of everything would still be crap.

Please. Like everything DC puts out is of amazing quality.

Currently, with IP locked behind copyright . . . 90% of everything is crap.

If we did away with copyright, or weakened it, allowing others to create using well known characters like Batman and Superman . . . 90% of everything would still be crap.
again if 10% is amazing or even just goodish, 10% of 3 movies per decade compared to 10% of 4 movies a year is a HUGE increase in amazing stories.

Remathilis

Legend
That's a false dichotomy. The alternatives are not stay static or change what came before. You can keep what came before and build on it by advancing the timeline a bit and introducing new things. Hell, if they really wanted orcs they could have done 50 years post war a space orc armada descended upon Ansalon and Taladas. The ensuing war took 2 decades and while the orcs were ultimately defeated, they have secured several significant presences on Krynn.

Bam! Setting change and retaining what came before.

Everything added recontextualizes the old.

For example, adding a new Doctor to the list of incarnations is additive; it didn't change what happened with any of the previous incarnations we know about. Adding him between the 8th and 9th Doctors as the War Doctor who fought in the Time War and didn't even call himself The Doctor recontextualizes who the Doctor is. It's not a retcon, but it changes the whole order of the regenerations.

Furthermore, going forward isn't a guarantee either. The Star Wars sequels advance the story and characters, and it's widely hated compared to Andor, Kenobi, and Mandelorian, which all happen between the other films. The events of each recontextualize what happens in the films.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
the examples he gave retconed huge bits of lore. As much as additive is cool sooner or later it is better to start over.

I doubt many Realms fans really wanted the time jump and the spell plague. I remember when I first started playing some players complained about the time of troubles. I don't hear MUCH belly acheing about the new stuff for 5e, but I still wonder if they let the novels carry on and jest went back to that grey box set if it would not have been better.
Short of Star Wars Legends (which have been replaced, for better or worse), what in those other franchises changed the past such that past events didn't happen or happened differently in an irreconcilable way? Whether or not starting over is good is a separate issue to whether or not new material did or didn't replace earlier material.

Micah Sweet

Since you have the book . . .

What are the major changes to Dragonlance in this new product that make it "irreconcilable" with older versions?

And . . . . the "Age of Mortals" within DL canon was OK (major reboot to the setting)? But WotC changing "Wizards of High Sorcery" to "Mages of High Sorcery" is not OK? Sorry . . . that's the only change I could bring to mind, there's got to be some other minor changes in the book to get all worked up over.
Again, the Age of Mortals moved things forward: they didn't change the past. A reboot doesn't have to be retroactive.

Micah Sweet

I mean the IP holder keeping it is no way to assure quality. It just has a bottleneck where only some ideas get made. I gurantee you there are plenty of ideas to revitalize any old IP that will never even be heard by the big IP holder...

and that is before my #1 rule of continuity and quality hindsight is 20/20. One of the reasons I like the MCU version of several stories over the comic version is because they can listen to the complaints and adjust.
Of course, the MCU is a separate continuity so I have no problem with that.

Remathilis

Legend
Short of Star Wars Legends (which have been replaced, for better or worse), what in those other franchises changed the past such that past events didn't happen or happened differently in an irreconcilable way? Whether or not starting over is good is a separate issue to whether or not new material did or didn't replace earlier material.
DC Comics. Crisis of Infinite Earths.

Remove ads

Remove ads