• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance WotC Officially Confirms Takhisis and Tiamat Are The Same

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today...

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today, WotC is putting its foot down and saying that Takhisis and Tiamat are, indeed, the same being.

Of course, this is not an opinion universally held. Dragonlance co-creator Margaret Weis emphatically stated that "TAKHISIS IS NOT TIAMAT, DAMN IT!"

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.19.14 AM.png

Fizban's Treasuryof Dragons confirms that the beings echo across various settings.

Scribe

Legend
If we did away with copyright, or weakened it, allowing others to create using well known characters like Batman and Superman . . . 90% of everything would still be crap.
Probably true! I'll take a singular vision though over the mess of conflicting reboots. Every time.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Everything added recontextualizes the old.

For example, adding a new Doctor to the list of incarnations is additive; it didn't change what happened with any of the previous incarnations we know about. Adding him between the 8th and 9th Doctors as the War Doctor who fought in the Time War and didn't even call himself The Doctor recontextualizes who the Doctor is. It's not a retcon, but it changes the whole order of the regenerations.

Furthermore, going forward isn't a guarantee either. The Star Wars sequels advance the story and characters, and it's widely hated compared to Andor, Kenobi, and Mandelorian, which all happen between the other films. The events of each recontextualize what happens in the films.
Recontextualizing is fine, sometimes even great. Quality is subjective.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Furthermore, going forward isn't a guarantee either. The Star Wars sequels advance the story and characters, and it's widely hated compared to Andor, Kenobi, and Mandelorian, which all happen between the other films. The events of each recontextualize what happens in the films.
I didn't say adding things to the future of the setting would be high quality stuff. I said it wouldn't change what came before. This is fact. The Star Wars sequels, their quality and subsequent hate are not relevant here except to show that what I said was true and the false dichotomy I called out was legitimate. There are other options than the two I was presented with.

High or low quality can occur whether you completely retcon, insert things into the past, or add to the future. The first two will almost always cause more angst with those who are fans of the setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads