Dragonlance WotC Officially Confirms Takhisis and Tiamat Are The Same

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today...

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today, WotC is putting its foot down and saying that Takhisis and Tiamat are, indeed, the same being.

Of course, this is not an opinion universally held. Dragonlance co-creator Margaret Weis emphatically stated that "TAKHISIS IS NOT TIAMAT, DAMN IT!"

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.19.14 AM.png

Fizban's Treasuryof Dragons confirms that the beings echo across various settings.

dave2008

Legend
We need to be clear that Dragonlance never was and never has been solely Weis & Hickman's creation. They may have their own vision for it, but that doesn't make it the authoritative vision for the setting. The setting grew out of Jeff Grub's home game. He provided the basis of the gods and their conflict and he said they were definitely the Platinum Dragon and the Chromatic Dragon. The name Paladin was a direct rip-off of the name Jeff provide, but the name Takhisis was indeed Weis & Hickman's. There was an article posted here fairly recently about this. If I can find the link I will add it.

Edit: It wasn't this forum, Jeff Grub interview

Additionally, there was a whole team involved in the RPG product (including artist) that influenced the setting. I find it a bit insulting that they (Weis & Hickman) continue to disrespect all the effort others have put into the setting and claim it as their own. The wrote lot of novels in the setting and contributed a lot of lore, but they are not the sole creators nor the arbiter's of Dragonlance lore.
Are you really going to argue with one of the creators of the character about what she had in mind when she created the character? Seriously? I can link you to the post on Facebook and you can tell her she's wrong.

Considering Margaret quite literally "wrote the book" on Takhisis, if she says she isn't Tiamat then she isn't Tiamat.

Legally, they definitely are. And I like Planescape, which equated the two, so it doesn't really matter to me. But it does seem unnecessary for WotC to make a definite stand over the wishes of one of the creators of the setting. What exactly do they hope to gain by this?

Last edited:

The implication that Takhisis and Tiamat are one and the same predates WotC's ownership of the IP.

And frankly, having two identical five-headed chromatic dragon queen goddesses that are nonetheless somehow explicitly distinct from one another bouncing around the multiverse is liable to just cause confusion to those unfamiliar with Dragonlance.

If they put out a premium Tiamat miniature and a premium Takhisis miniature, how is anyone supposed to tell the difference between them without checking what's printed on the base?

Play MTG at all? I've been going into this deep dive over the last few days as its a hobby I was addicted too really, left it, and now see its imploding a bit.

Maro (one of the lead guys) recently said 75% of magic players dont know what a Planeswalker is. This is...really really REALLY hard for me to accept, but I have no reason to believe its a lie, just a statistic (a higher form of lie, but still) and it makes you think.

If 75% of players have no clue what really THE central focus of play, design, and story has been for a major game like MTG?

How many people within the D&D sphere, by %, are going to even know who co-created Dragonlance?
You could even go so far as to point out that the basic conceit for MtG was originally that each player WAS a planeswalker, battling another planeswalker for supremacy.

From where I sit, and I hope this doesn't fan any flames but... I feel a good parallel between Weis and WotC would be similar to George Lucas and the Star Wars franchise. They can speak on intent for their creations, but they no longer are driving them. Has anyone seen anywhere where Weis or Hickman state why Takhisis LOOKS like Tiamat? I know they've explained their 'no orcs' in DL, and I totally like and dig that, but... It seems like Takhisis and Paladine are more than just physically identical to Tiamat and Bahumat to me. Just curious

Remove ads

Remove ads