WotC WotC partners with Start Playing to connect players and DMs and form tables.

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
The Mercer effect is real.
I was DMing for a group of critters and one of them asked me; when are you going to DM more like Matt Mercer?
My response of course....when are you going to start playing like (I don't know any of their names) his players?
To which his response was...touche'.

DMing is work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Most people just want to show up and be entertained for a few hours. It makes total sense that people don't want to DM.

I have a home team of 5 of us. When we first started playing about 6 years ago, 4 of the 5 took turns DMing. Since then two of those 4 have trailed off DMing and not returned to it, so right now two of us take turns. The two that stopped...it's primarily the investment of time that it takes to be a good DM that has caused them to stop. They aren't really "improvise" type DMs, they ran modules. I run a homebrew world. I can tell you I put in a lot of time to build maps, expand lore, create encounters, homebrew magic items, create new NPCs, etc. I invest a lot of time and effort into it. For my guys, it's not intimidation of the Mercer effect nor really being vulnerable (but I can definitely see that perspective, that many potential new DMs might feel that)...it's the time required to invest in it to be good at it. Lazy DM or not, they work too much and just don't feel they can invest in it.

Apparently there is a cost per game for the service. That may limit interest in the long run. I saw "$10 off first game session", so that implies each session cost more than $10. After the initial interest, this may be a big impediment.

I wonder how much WoTC will get from this.
To be clear, StartPlaying.Games is a site for PAID games. That's the whole purpose of it. To connect players who are looking for games with DMs/GMs across many different game systems. DMs set their rate which tends to average $20 per game. I also DM on the site and run a game on Sundays that has been going for about 10 sessions so far. I ran a few campaigns previously on the site that crapped out because player schedule's changed. I charge $20/session per player. I know there are a few really experienced DMs who have a following of sorts who get upwards of $40/session per player. There are a handful who actually make a living running games there, I've seen at least one DM who earns around $75k/year doing it, but that level of success is extremely rare. For me, it just pays for my RPG habit. I have 5 players in my current campaign and SPG takes 10%, so I get $90/session.

Reynard

Legend
One thing we as experienced GMs can do is show new GMs the ropes. I have taught two different groups of young (teens) to play D&D and three total GMs came out of those efforts.

In fact, I should check back in and see how they are doing.

KYRON45

Explorer
Good point. Interesting.
I don't think it's hard work at all. But it is work.

Some people like work regardless of how hard it is. Some people pay the neighbor kid to mow their lawn. Not because it's hard work...but because after working 40 hours a week and taking care of your family and walking your dog you just want to outsource the next thing on your to do list.

DMing has never been easier. When I started playing back in the late 1900's there were 0 resources on HOW to DM; but someone decided to and we played on and off for almost 40 years. Many of the things we made up back then are institutionalized standards now.

But until someone steps up; you just have a group of people talking about doing a thing. I would assume this is true of most hobbies or group activities.

Last edited:

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
I don't think it's hard work at all. But it is work.

Some people like work regardless of how hard it is. Some people pay the neighbor kid to mow their lawn. Not because it's hard work...but because after working 40 hours a week and taking care of your family and walking your dog you just want to outsource the next thing on your to do list.

DMing has never been easier. When I started playing back in the late 1900's there were 0 resources on HOW to DM; but someone decided to and we played on and off for almost 40 years. Many of the things we made up back then are institutionalized standards now.

But until someone steps up; you just have a group of guys talking about doing a thing. I would assume this is true of most hobbies or group activities.
I think there are actually too many resources! It’s hard to find the ones that are the most useful for a GM’s personal style and needs. I read dozens of blog posts every day and a lot of them aren’t very helpful but sometimes I strike gold.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Apparently there is a cost per game for the service. That may limit interest in the long run. I saw "$10 off first game session", so that implies each session cost more than $10. After the initial interest, this may be a big impediment.

I wonder how much WoTC will get from this.
GMs aren't privvy to SPG agreements with the events/promotions that they've done with other TTRPGs like Pathfinder, Pirateborg, etc (the list really does go on!). Of course I'm curious, but I'd be very surprised if WotC was getting a cut... I can't imagine it'd be a drop in WotC's bucket financially; SPG gets 10% of a GM's per-session fee. But if it gets more folks hooked up to DnDB, that's worthwhile to WotC.
It says the average is about $18. Is this per session? I'm not totally opposed to paid DMs.. It's hard work. I've also paid to play at my LGS in Adventurer's League, but that was just $10 and I got a bunch of freebies with it. I couldn't see myself paying $400-$500/year to play in a bi-weekly campaign.
You might not believe the sorts of comments and messages I've gotten about pay to play! I started at $25/session and am currently at $39 per. It took a lot of getting over myself and the taboo we grew up with around paying to play TTRPGs. If it weren't for my wife pushing me, I wouldn't have gone from being a law clerk to a pro GM :)

There can be a big difference between an AL session at a FLGS, versus the experience a higher-cost GM might offer.

P.S. I tried doing a biweekly game to both give myself a break, and because some players are willing to pay my prices-per-session but can't budget to do so weekly... it turns out none of us loved it- and I actively disliked it due to a lack of momentum. We ended up going weekly :LOL:

Some of my players play in 2-3 of my games per week!
The best is when we get multiple sessions of the same game in per week- for the players it's like being a kid again, playing so much and really getting into the game. For me, the momentum is fantastic for the creative juices.

Last edited:

cranberry

Adventurer
To be clear, StartPlaying.Games is a site for PAID games. That's the whole purpose of it. To connect players who are looking for games with DMs/GMs across many different game systems. DMs set their rate which tends to average $20 per game. I also DM on the site and run a game on Sundays that has been going for about 10 sessions so far. I ran a few campaigns previously on the site that crapped out because player schedule's changed. I charge $20/session per player. I know there are a few really experienced DMs who have a following of sorts who get upwards of $40/session per player. There are a handful who actually make a living running games there, I've seen at least one DM who earns around $75k/year doing it, but that level of success is extremely rare. For me, it just pays for my RPG habit. I have 5 players in my current campaign and SPG takes 10%, so I get $90/session.
To be clear, I am well aware of the site's purpose, I just think $20+ per session is a lot. Apparently there are enough people willing to pay the price.

darjr

I crit!
Is it for online games only?

Does location matter then?

If any of you run in person does location make a difference for you?

Remove ads