WotC WotC reported 50% growth over 2020!

The more tied together they become, the more it obliterates the uniqueness of each. Imagine Star Wars and Star Trek completely merged into a single property with nothing new or uniquely either Trek or Wars going forward. While it may be cool and interesting initially, that will quickly fade as fans of each begin to realize what was lost. The unique things about each of them. MtG is cool. D&D is cool. But they don't need to have overlap. They don't need to co-mingle.
They don't need to merge into one, but there is nothing wrong with them interacting or overlapping.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I ran a short Ravnica campaign with two of my players, but it didn't last long. They just weren't really interested in the world. I also tried a Theros PbP, but that died down after a few months and after not much action happening (as PbPs tend to be slow).
Ravnica has a lot of potential as a campaign setting... but not for every group. You need a gang that likes intrigue and city adventures.

My experience with PbP has been that it doesn't matter how good the game is, most of them collapse. Therefore, I don't think you can make any sort of inference about Theros based on that.

The Forgotten Realms are already a bunch of settings crammed together.

If they weren't releasing MtG books as a way to get some fresh themes and flavours out there, we'd probably have a Greek pantheon shoehorned into the Realms instead.

D&D is epic fantasy, with options for other different subgenres, but the game is not designed to be a loyal adaptation of classic superheroes. The age of classic superheroes where a lazy scrippter could use the superpowers like a magic top-hat to resolver all the challenges has ended time ago. Now we are in the videogame age, where the main characters, the PCs, are designed for a balance between power and vulnerability, success and failure. Today the old superheroes who could move buildings are too boring and "Mary-Sue" for the eyes of the new generations. My opinion is the famous superheroes we know are going to be "nerfed" for an easier adaptation to future videogames. There are videogames of Batman or Spiderman, because the are powerful but also enough vulnerable, but Superman is too powerful.

The future setting of Witchlight could allow crossovers with mash-up versions of famous franchises for children, for example a domain about sentient ponies, or other ruled by the archfey the princess Peach who summons the heroe Mario against the hordes of the king tortle Bowser.

what_s_this__mlp_headcanon__gasp__by_earthsong9405_ddk9l5i-350t.jpg

bowser_remastered_raf_grassetti_1080.jpg

We will see more crossovers because they are valious by speculators, something like "limited editions", and as hook for the fandom of the other brand. And players do a lot of mash-up+crossovers in their own tabletop. Castle Greyhawk is an oficial example of parodic crossover, and maybe this "place" could come back as a domain of delight for "Witchlight".

The current Ravenloft setting allows dark domains with XX and XXI century technology, and this could do possible famous horror characters as "guests". Maybe the dark lord is a survivor who betrayed others, and his punishment is to be haunted by a "clone" of that slasher. Didn't you want?, then enjoy two cups! Or a mash-ap version of Scooby-doo appearing in Odiare, the domain by Maligno, the evil carrionete. Ravenloft can be a very grimm place, but also allowing softer stories like R.L.Stine "Goosebumps".

Scary-Stories-to-Tell-in-the-Dark-Harold.jpg

Other option could be a "fake crossovers", something like a sub-plot within the main story, where a group of characters play their own version of Dragonlance (with a different list of characters, for example, or Tas as a girl). Here shouldn't worry about the canon.

Not even Hasbro can totally sure about their future plans. Maybe Paramount wants to continue the partnership deal with Hasbro, but Disney shows a better offert, or there is a future change in the main chairs from Hollywood for the next year, and some agremeents should be renegotiated again. Or some videogame studio goes bad and then it would be acquired by Hasbro for their franchises, even if these were relatively old.

Hasbro needs a good relation with the different cinema studios, but these are rival among them, and they wishs exclusive rights.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
D&D is epic fantasy, with options for other different subgenres, but the game is not designed to be a loyal adaptation of classic superheroes. The age of classic superheroes where a lazy scrippter could use the superpowers like a magic top-hat to resolver all the challenges has ended time ago. Now we are in the videogame age, where the main characters, the PCs, are designed for a balance between power and vulnerability, success and failure. Today the old superheroes who could move buildings are too boring and "Mary-Sue" for the eyes of the new generations. My opinion is the famous superheroes we know are going to be "nerfed" for an easier adaptation to future videogames. There are videogames of Batman or Spiderman, because the are powerful but also enough vulnerable, but Superman is too powerful.
Someone should tell the players that. They're constantly pushing for more and better powers and fewer and more trivial weaknesses, if they'll deign to take any at all. I constantly have to remind players that their spells actually have limitations. I literally had a player rage quit a game because he thought the mold earth cantrip made him a full-fledged earthbender. Also note how there are literally no vulnerabilities in the game. No weaknesses. Unless you consider bonds, etc weaknesses...which they're not. That's the closest 5E has. There's weaker than perfect, but that's not a vulnerability.

Players really seem to want Superman Mary-Sue characters. It's almost more hassle than it's worth to convince them that starting at anything less than 20th level is worth playing or attempting any encounter (fight or not) at anything less that absolutely peak power and resources is worth doing. I've had groups simply let NPCs die who were important to the party, characters, and players rather than go into a fight they know would be easy because they were down one spell slot (and not their highest level slot either).

I've been doing this 37 years and since I started running 5E...damn. Players seem to be more risk adverse than ever (zero risks is best, apparently), they want as much power as possible as quickly as possible (20th level to start please), and seem to think that anything less that absolute perfection completely sucks.

It has got an easy solution. To play a videogame with a cheat code for total invulneravility, and then they will learn the value of "from zero to hero".

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
It has got an easy solution. To play a videogame with a cheat code for total invulneravility, and then they will learn the value of "from zero to hero".
you act like that is not fun, most people are comparing the characters to lone heroes, not teams as most heroes are alone to some extent plus who does not want to play a bunch of characters who each alone solo Demogorgon just fight the entire abyss at the same time?

Bolares

Hero
I reeeeeally don't get the "zero to hero" complain. Not every game has to be that. DnD is not that for DECADES. In fact it has not been that for more time than it was that at this point. Not every game has to be like that, and there are plenty of games out there the fit that sort of story. Clearly more people like what the game is now than it was 20 years ago.

I find it funny that in the same thread people complain that:

1- D&D dominates the market and doesn't let other games thrive.

2- D&D is not the exact game they want, when they could play other games that fit that playstyle perfectly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases