D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

Last edited:

Lem23

Adventurer
I have no interest in the magic settings, little interest in eberron, planescape, dark Sun, spelljammer and the like, started with d&d back in the early 80s, think curse of strahd was overrated, don't tend to buy adventure path books, and don't have even the slightest interest in a psionics book.

I'm happy that wotc have released the above books, and that the others will eventually see the light of day, because while I'm not a fan, there are thousands of people out there who are, will enjoy the crap out of them, and run some amazing games for their friends with them, and, most importantly of all, it won't affect my gaming fun by even the slightest amount at all.

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
They can do whatever they like. I just said to me it seems lame and I don't blame fans of the game for feeling uncomfortable with it either. Are we not permitted to disapprove of a company's commercial decisions?

Not all longtime fans. I started with OD&D white box back in 1978 and have never taken a hiatus from playing. I have some of the same players from back then. And every single one of us would rather see all the MTG settings come out before a single rehash of old settings*. I just don't come onto the forums and attack people whose views are different from mine.

*True only since Eberron was released. Eberron is the only old setting that I was interested in seeing get a reboot.

Kurotowa

Legend
How dare the company that makes D&D release popular content that D&D players want! The nerve of some companies!

You say that now, but TV themed D&D starter sets are a step down a slippery slope. Next thing you know WotC will make the jump to sponsoring their own D&D themed TV show. It'd probably be some sort of watered down animated series aimed at children, from the way they're going. Which would be completely without precedent and a betrayal of everything the brand stands for. Nope, can't think of anything like that having happened before. ;)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have no interest in the magic settings, little interest in eberron, planescape, dark Sun, spelljammer and the like, started with d&d back in the early 80s, think curse of strahd was overrated, don't tend to buy adventure path books, and don't have even the slightest interest in a psionics book.

I'm happy that wotc have released the above books, and that the others will eventually see the light of day, because while I'm not a fan, there are thousands of people out there who are, will enjoy the crap out of them, and run some amazing games for their friends with them, and, most importantly of all, it won't affect my gaming fun by even the slightest amount at all.
And it might even expand the number of people available to play with. Not everyone enters through the same door.

I haven't bought most of what WotC has put out for 5E. (I have the three core books, the revised screen, Xanathar's, Volo's, Tome of Foes, Yawning Portal and Curse of Strahd.) I don't begrudge anyone else a product they enjoy that doesn't do anything for me. (Even Forgotten Realms fans ;) )

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Personally, I don't think it is unreasonable for long time fans to be uncomfortable with the current trend of releasing TV show themed product for Dungeons & Dragons. I'm not a D&D player, so I certainly don't claim to be any type of arbiter, but I'd be disappointed if my favourite game was releasing this kind of product too. It seems like a bit of a sell out to me. Like seeing Flavour Flav on reality TV, it just doesn't seem cool.

I'd agree with you if it was the only type of product being released... but it's not. People get a great adventure product every year, and even got a "classic" setting Eberron last year.

Buy what you like, avoid what you don't. If enough people have the same preferences, you'll get more of what you like.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I kind of get where you are coming from, but, I don't mind them releasing settings and adventures that will appeal to other groups. I don't have to buy them. I am interested in this one, primarily because of the Greek based setting. However, I am not crazy about learning yet another pantheon. I miss the Greek, Norse and other gods. Luckily, it sounds like with this book, it'll be easy enough to swap out the pantheon for the Greek pantheon. Unfortunately, my Greek mythology is pretty rusty these days. This might motivate me to brush up on it.
Yeah, I don't think it'd be hard to get the dedicated Greek myths book of your choice, or even just Wikipedia, and convert everything over to Greek myth and keep it all on a 3x5 card. Heck, I bet there's an audience for a 99 cent conversion doc like that on DMs Guild.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It was a mix of bad business decisions, some of which included releasing a lot of stuff for settings that weren't actually that popular among the player base. It appears that the current management at WotC disagrees that publishing many settings was what made TSR fail.
Trying to support them all with ongoing lines is often seen as the bigger issue. WotC has been creating fire and forget settings, and letting folks like Keith Baker and Ed Greenwood take over support on their own on DMs Guild, which doesn't pose the same sort of risks for WotC.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I don't like them releasing most Magic: the Gathering settings. Ravnica, IMHO, should not have been released as a setting book, but it's great if certain people like it. Theros is a lot better. It's greek-mythology themed, and I have a longstanding love with Greek Mythology. I am very excited for a lot of the content in this book, especially the Glory Paladin, Satyr race, stats for Typhon (which I really hope is the mythology equivalent), Oracles, Nymphs, Harpies, Hydras, and the Hundred-Handed Ones.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases