D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least...

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Also, they added Darkvision to Tritons, finally. That was a needed change.
This is a big thing that we shouldn't underplay.

It's the second time WotC has actively retconned a race that appeared in a previous sourcebook (DMG sample races Aasimar and Eladrin notwithstanding, as those were not supposed to be canon interpretations of those races). Both retcons were to Volo's Guide as well (the other was the Orc).

Looks like Volo's highly in need of errata, and soon. In the meantime, D&D Beyond is thrust into a problem space where if you're looking up Triton rules in the Game Rules > Races > Triton section, you'll get the VGM features, not the MOT updated features. There was a large span of time where this was the case for the Orc as well; eventually they added in "Orc of Eberron" and "Orc of Exandria" to represent the updated features and flavor texts for that race in each specific book (I'd argue that's a stupid way of doing it; they should just have put all the flavor text in the Orc race and updated the mechanics, noting that VGM has different mechanics than all other rulebooks).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
This is a big thing that we shouldn't underplay. Looks like Volo's highly in need of errata, and soon.

The quicker they write errata for Volo's, the sooner a printing will go out that reflects it. From what I can tell, the books get new printings somewhat regularly. (OTOH, it may be that they have yet to issue errata because they have a big print run warehoused and it won't go into effect soon. Still, D&D Beyond and the community who watches for errata could use it...

Puppies's Mythic Trait kicks in causing the second phase to begin as they transform into a Swarm of Giant Cerberus Monstrosities.

And yet, still cute.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To me though, it doesn't look like a reduction in power, so much as a reduction in fun. I felt that the oath of heroism had a lot of implied potential for comedy, where's the oath of glory takes itself way too seriously.

I haven't had a good look at the new version, just speaking to the nature of the rather rigorous internal playtest process that comes after the UA. It's been this way every time.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I haven't had a good look at the new version, just speaking to the nature of the rather rigorous internal playtest process that comes after the UA. It's been this way every time.
For example, it looks like a bit of a purposeful swap between the content of 3L and 6L features for College of Eloquence - this might be because of MC concerns. A 6L dip for a feature is a lot less attractive than a 3L dip. And UA NEVER considers MC potentialities. That's in the next phase of internal playtesting.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
To me though, it doesn't look like a reduction in power, so much as a reduction in fun. I felt that the oath of heroism had a lot of implied potential for comedy, where's the oath of glory takes itself way too seriously.
The new version is still a good paladin subclass, but it's not in the same theme as before. It seemed more selfish and haughty before, and now seems like it's more of a team player. It's not necessarily a reduction of fun, it's a change in type of fun and playstyle.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So, there's a reference in the book to the Catoblepas monster from Volo's Guide to Monsters. Just wanted to point out that the plural of Catoblepas based on the greek creature it came from wouldn't be "Catoblepases" but would actually be "Catoblepones".
Unfortunately, that would read as a typo to nearly every native English speaker.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I love that they actually included example riddles in the sphinx section:
  • The more of these you take, the more you leave behind. (Steps)
  • What has six faces, but no mouth, has twenty-one eyes, but cannot see? (A die)
  • What turns everything but does not move? (A mirror)
  • The more there is, the less you see. (Darkness)
  • What is stronger than the gods, more terrifying than the demons, the poor have it, the rich need it, and if you eat it, you die? (Nothing)

Thank goodness. Every time I've tried to come up with a riddle for the game, the Internet has been worse than unhelpful. (Seriously, Google riddles. It's almost all insultingly stupid little kid riddles, and most of them appear on every web page, as they clearly are all stealing from each other.)

Someone genuinely good at making riddles should create a product full of them and sell them on DriveThruRPG or DMs Guild.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads