D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The noble knight paladin is a Christian invention, and complete anachronism in a pseudo-Greek setting. A Greek inspired paladin should reflect the Greek gods, not the Christian god. So, instead of justice, mercy and self-sacrifice they should embody arrogance, ego and petty vindictiveness.
Paladins were based off of that, but the themes of Greek Heroes and their abilities fit the 5e paladin better than any other class, IMO. The 5e Paladin has many abilities that "Christian Paladins" didn't. Christian Paladins were basically just knights, they didn't have magic and spells, wings, and so on. To say that they did have those in Catholic History would be blasphemous.

(I'm not talking about religion, I'm discussing the root of paladins.)

Greek Heroes, on the other hand, had great strength, supernatural powers, amazing senses, and many other abilities that fit the paladin better than any other class. They can smite evil-doers, kill monsters from the "Pit" (Tartarus/Abyss), heal others, do miracles, and so on. Greek Heroes fit the 5e Paladin better than any other class, and IMHO, better than Catholic Paladins do.

Paladins were based off of that, but the themes of Greek Heroes and their abilities fit the 5e paladin better than any other class, IMO. The 5e Paladin has many abilities that "Christian Paladins" didn't. Christian Paladins were basically just knights, they didn't have magic and spells, wings, and so on. To say that they did have those in Catholic History would be blasphemous.

Greek Heroes, on the other hand, had great strength, supernatural powers, amazing senses, and many other abilities that fit the paladin better than any other class. They can smite evil-doers, kill monsters from the "Pit" (Tartarus/Abyss), heal others, do miracles, and so on. Greek Heroes fit the 5e Paladin better than any other class, and IMHO, better than Catholic Paladins do.

I was going to say something similar. Previous edition paladins might have retained some of the old Christian Paladin roots, but 5e has completely divorced the paladin class from that. Heck, you can easily have chaotic and/or evil paladins now, which is a complete anathema to the old paradigm! All you need now is a warrior-type with a strong ideal to follow, which would work well for some ancient Greek heroes, even the arrogant, petty, and vindictive ones (Oath of Conquest, anyone?). Plato himself would have approved of a group of warriors in service to an Idea - that's very reminiscent of The Republic and other writings of his.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I was going to say something similar. Previous edition paladins might have retained some of the old Christian Paladin roots, but 5e has completely divorced the paladin class from that. Heck, you can easily have chaotic and/or evil paladins now, which is a complete anathema to the old paradigm! All you need now is a warrior-type with a strong ideal to follow, which would work well for some ancient Greek heroes, even the arrogant, petty, and vindictive ones (Oath of Conquest, anyone?). Plato himself would have approved of a group of warriors in service to an Idea - that's very reminiscent of The Republic and other writings of his.
Paladins, in name and original theme, came from Catholicism. They are very different now.

I agree, the D&D paladin has evolved a long way from it's roots, and it is one of the great triumphs of 5e to take the concept in wildly different directions with the addition of Ancients and Vengeance (and later Conquest). And any of these are a good fit for a Greek-themed hero.

Which is why it's such a shame, when Oath of Heroism had the potential to be something different again, for it to backslide into a dull generic blob that feels less Greek than things that are already in the PHB.

A slight digression, but the Zealot Barbarian could be refluffed into a good Greek-style hero. I especially like it's "easy to resurrect" aspect for this theme.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases