• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC Spell Creation Contest

ashockney

First Post
Advice

First piece of advice, don't publish your spells here, or they are no longer proprietary to whom you submit them. If the publisher doesn't care, then post them here all day long.

Second, I love your reflect magic idea. Very cool.

Third, Valiantheart, I like your spell, but with a much smaller number of spells siphoned max, say four or five at most.

Fourth, Die_Kluge, check out your spell vs. Dominate Person (I believe 8th or 9th). They're pretty close.

Technik4

First Post
Here's Mine

Gar's Indefinable Quality
School: Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 2, Charm 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Targets: 1 creature/2 levels can be affected
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

"There was something strange about him, I had to meet him."

Description: This spell creates a magical effect on the caster which draws people to become more interested in them. Anyone who interacts with the caster must make a Will save. Any creature that fails their save becomes interested in the subject, convinced that there is something positive (or good) about the caster. A creature who passes their will save becomes convinced that while it seemed there was something special, upon meeting them there is not. Depending on the creature's alignment, they may presume that there is something negative (or evil) about the subject, especially if many others are fawning over them.

Any creature who interacts with the caster (whether or not they succeeded at their will save) does not "realize" they made a save and must succeed at a spellcaster check (DC 20) in order to detect the enchantment aura on the caster. This spell has a -4 spellcaster check if being dispelled or detected by a creature who casts as a bard or sorceror.

Verbal Component: You must utter a secret every time you cast this spell; it must be true and once used cannot be used again. A secret implies that no one but the caster (and perhaps a small group of people) know what it is.

[I think this spell fills a need for "prescence" spells, especially lower level ones. Many spellcasters like to seem more important than they are. In an adventure, an NPC with this spell can serve as a red herring, while a PC spellcaster can use it to draw attention to themselves. It can make a good bartering piece (I will tell you my secret...), save you from imminent death at the hands of orcs and goblins (even with your hands tied), or serve to pique someone more powerful than yourself's interest - which can lead to quests, favors, etc.

I put it at a power level in-between Charm Person and Suggestion. While if affects more than humanoids, you aren't really charming anyone, they just become interested in the caster(and sometimes this could be a bad thing, especially if they fail their save). It also favors bards and sorcerors, in terms of detecting and dispelling it because it seems very bardic and the kind of spell a sorceror (even a blaster mage) would know.]

I'd like to hear any criticisms, thanks.

Technik

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads