D&D 5E WotC will likely be making a dedicated Psion class, as per recent tweets

So in the latest Dragon+ stream, right at the end, Jeremy briely mentions that there is plenty of space for psionically themed subclasses even if there's a full class. This is obviously true. And he makes no promises about a psion class. But the way he talks about it is very far from suggesting they've abandoned the idea or have gone cold on it.

AD
But have they done it right now in a way that I like?

lkj

Hero
Certainly wished they mention those things sooner. I do hope we get another UA with the Psion before the end of the year.

I think this is a function of them truly not realizing how the UA would be interpreted. They have their noses in it, so to them if they are presenting a wizard subclass that isn't called 'psion' then why would anyone think that it's a psion? And just because they have psionic subclasses, why would we think that means there won't be a full class?

Just one of those perspective things I guess.

AD

Tony Vargas

Legend
Why would sub-classes make us think we'd never get the full class?

Well, there was the BM getting Commander's Strike, and the PDK & Mastermind in SCAG, and a first pass at another sub-class on MM's stream. And, the Warlord's been stonewalled ever since.

Conversely, the presentation of the Artificer as a wizard sub-class was violently rejected, and we eventually got an Artificer.

So the road to full-class seems, on that small sample size, to include hating just as hard as you can on any sub-class solution offered.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Certainly wished they mention those things sooner. I do hope we get another UA with the Psion before the end of the year.
They didn't mention it sooner, cause if the reaction had been good, they WOULD have used it*, reaction being poor, they pivoted.

*I'm usually not cynical, but I kinda do feel they have switched gears based on feedback. I mean they created spells named for core psion abilities and gave them to a wizard subclass??? While still planning a core psion class....hmmmmmmm.

I think this is a function of them truly not realizing how the UA would be interpreted. They have their noses in it, so to them if they are presenting a wizard subclass that isn't called 'psion' then why would anyone think that it's a psion?

1) Psionic Focus: A feature you would only expect a psion to use.

2) Psionic Spells: Presented without any game mechanics, it sure looks like giving up.

3) It's a full caster. When people think of a psionic subclass they think of [Class Name] plus a little bit of psionics.

So, not an unreasonable conclusion to come too. And not wrong either, IMO. I think we are seeing WotC lying to avoid admiting they made a ****-up.

Remove ads