WotC WotC's Chris Perkins On D&D's Inclusivity Processes Going Forward

Over on D&D Beyond, WotC's Chris Perkins has written a blog entry about how the company's processes have been changed to improve the way the D&D studio deals with harmful content and inclusivity. This follows recent issues with racist content in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and involves working with external cultural consultants. The studio’s new process mandates that every word...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over on D&D Beyond, WotC's Chris Perkins has written a blog entry about how the company's processes have been changed to improve the way the D&D studio deals with harmful content and inclusivity. This follows recent issues with racist content in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and involves working with external cultural consultants.

The studio’s new process mandates that every word, illustration, and map must be reviewed by multiple outside cultural consultants prior to publication.

Incenjucar

Legend
I would be amazed if money was an actual barrier. You won't get a professional for free but you can certainly find people willing to at least scan through things. I've done it for free myself.

Zardnaar

Legend
Generally I think using real life extant cultures for inspiration is a bad idea.

What exactly is off limits though because I read a lot of history. Slavery comes up a lot. If you did a Polynesian culture depicting slavery and cannibalism is that ok because it happened here?

Zardnaar

Legend
I would be amazed if money was an actual barrier. You won't get a professional for free but you can certainly find people willing to at least scan through things. I've done it for free myself.

My rule of thumb is mostly be respectful. Moana for example fails if you nitpick it but it went down well with the Polynesians here. Probably because it's a good movie, positive portrayals and starring The Rock who is Polynesian.

Generally I think using real life extant cultures for inspiration is a bad idea.

What exactly is off limits though because I read a lot of history. Slavery comes up a lot. If you did a Polynesian culture depicting slavery and cannibalism is that ok because it happened here?
I think you're a little off topic here - the setting is pre-colonial times (if you were talking about colonial slavery)

EDIT: Most nations have had slavery one time or another if you're referring to slavery pre colonialism.
As for cannibalism, that is not what you'd focus on. That could be the other tribe described in the book.

Last edited:

Perhaps you are right on this, I dunno. The other options being they took a short cut or never thought about it (less so).

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Sure, and I do that too, but... According to that series of tweets, Mythic Polynesia was supposed to be actual, real-world Polynesia, but magical. Whereas the Realms (or Mystara, etc.) aren't supposed to be actual, real-world European countries. They're fantasy places whose flavor was taken from real places.

So, personally, I think comparing the vaguely pan-Eurpoean style of a typical D&D-type setting to a book that's supposed to be about real-world places is... not a very useful comparison.
By that token, would you agree that it's not a useful comparison to compare a D&D setting that's vaguely pan-Asian to a real-world place?

Zardnaar

Legend
I think you're a little off topic here - the setting is pre-colonial times.

It happened in pre colonial times. Recorded and oral histories. Hell I was talking to a Maori two days ago about it.

It recognize this guy? Or the actress?

He's playing a descendent of a slave who has married above his station. Movie was adapted from a book the author was Maori.

Not your typical Hollywood production. Heavy movie dealing with post colonialism.

Incenjucar

Legend
Perhaps you are right on this. I dunno, the other options being they took a short cut or never thought about it (less so).
My good faith assumption is that they just didn't think about it, rather than anything malicious. Hopefully they have learned to seek readers in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads