• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you buy a Dark Sun setting book for 5e?

Would you buy a Dark Sun setting book for 5e?

• Yes, I like Dark Sun.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Probably yes, but I'd make sure to read some reviews first.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Probably no, unless WotC really does a spectacular job with the book.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • No, I dislike Dark Sun.

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • I don't buy setting books.

Votes: 5 3.6%

Remathilis

Legend
That both would and wouldn't bother me. It would bother me a bit that they did it, but I'd buy it anyway and just ban the extraneous races.

The 4e book gave racial options for dragonborn (dray), dwarf, eladrin, elf, goliath (half-giant), half-elf, halfling, human, and tiefling, as well as full write-ups for mul and thri-kreen. It also provides a "minor race" status (check with DM) to genasi, kalashtar, and minotaur. It also says the following races are extinct unless the DM says otherwise: deva, gnome, kobold, ogre, orc, and troll. All others are unmentioned.

Likewise, for classes it provides no limit on classes beyond "no divine power source". Arcane magic is reviled but bards, warlocks and sorcerers can exist, and primal magic fills a sorta-gap and powers barbarians, wardens, shaman, and druids. Of course, psionics (including monks in this version) are prevalent, as are martial classes. It even gives some new subclasses for the above, such as Templar-pact warlocks or Arena fighter.

The bulk of the more interesting ideas come in the form of "character themes" that feel like 5e backgrounds in a way. Some of the classic DS themes (like gladiator, Templar, or Asthasian minstrel) are here.

Finally, they give ways armor equivalents to PCs, including versions of "chain", "scale" and "plate" armors. Likewise, many weapons are reflavored but mechanically the same, with optional rules for "superior" metal weapons and weapon breakage.

All in all, I thought it was a good update to DS and that's coming from someone who didn't like DS OR 4e. It feels like a skin rather than a new system, and I imagine a 5e version would crib extensively from this.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Simple question. If WotC finally decides to upgrade Dark Sun to 5e, how likely would you be to buy that setting book? For the purpose of this poll, let's assume this book follows the same structure as the other 5e setting books, such as Eberron: a mix of players options (possibly some of them psionic), setting lore, rule options and new monsters.
Would depend on whether or not there is as much setting agnostic stuff as has become the norm, and whether I wanna use that stuff.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'd buy it but Im guessing if they release anything for Darksun it'll be two books, a setting and adventure/monster manual. Theres too much to cover in just either an adventure or a setting book. The bestiary for the setting Imo is even more important than Psionics so without it why bother.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I voted "Probably no, unless WotC really does a spectacular job with the book" but what I really meant was "Probably no, unless they release a version of the book with a hobby store cover" because it turns out I am a sucker for the hobby store covers and I buy them all regardless of content.

Yes, WotC has my number.

Mercurius

Legend
Yes, because A) Setting books are my favorite sub-set of RPG books and B) I like Dark Sun. My D&D purchasing habits are something like:

All setting books
Most rules supplements
About half of story arcs

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Cheapskate that I am, I would ask for DSCG (Dark Sun Campaign Guide) in my Christmas list, thereby making somebody else buy it for me.

I voted "after reading the reviews" because that is how I usually purchase things.

I was introduced to Athas via 4e, and enjoyed playing the Ashes of Athas convention-based campaign that used those rules. I later found out 4e smoothed some sharp edges from the 2e presentation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads