• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Wow, 5.5e characters are STRONG!

CapnZapp

Legend
You're clearly conflating two completely separate qualites:

*a rulesbook is better if the rules are simpler, more elegant, easier to use and understand, contain fewer traps and more balance (and so on)

*a rulesbook can contribute to power creep if its features are plain better than the old (higher bonuses, more and stronger class features, and so on)

We are most definitely not "better off" with a 2024 PHB whose options make the 2014 options pale in comparison. The chief reason to do this is to ensure people upgrade.

And to make them forget that the new book actually fixes far fewer issues than marketing makes it look like...

Sales of old books taper off quickly. It is much better for WotC to sell NEW books than to restrain themselves with the new rulebook so the old stuff stays economically viable.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You're clearly conflating two completely separate qualites:
I wasn't conflating them at all. It doesn't really matter why people feel the new rules are "better". IF they like them enough to prefer them over the old rules, then they'd be "better".

You seem to think that everyone would be "bought" by rules that are worse, but more powerful.

AGAIN, you're acting like you somehow have a better sense of judgement than the vast majority of other people. I really think you ought to rethink that. Give everyone a little more credit.

If the 2024 books objectively suck, but are simply more powerful than the 2014 ones (something that I highly doubt will happen) then I think they will fail do be successful.

Pauln6

Hero
If you're in any battle against more than one big enemy, and especially if those enemies stay at range, the Paladin isn't doing a thing.
Different encounter builds are intended to play to different class strengths. If one class dominated every encounter or solved every problem then you would have an overpowered class sucking the fun away from everyone else.

Different encounter builds are intended to play to different class strengths. If one class dominated every encounter or solved every problem then you would have an overpowered class sucking the fun away from everyone else.
No. Every combat needs to have enemies conveniently out of melee in fireball or hypnotic pattern formation. Never having spellcasters on their own side targetting the PCs bad saves. They also conveniently give away their presence 1 min ahead so the wizard can instantly summon elementals and neber backing away when they see the wizard starting a 1 min conjuration. They also never try to break comcentration.
They also only attack once per day.

Pauln6

Hero
No. Every combat needs to have enemies conveniently out of melee in fireball or hypnotic pattern formation. Never having spellcasters on their own side targetting the PCs bad saves. They also conveniently give away their presence 1 min ahead so the wizard can instantly summon elementals and neber backing away when they see the wizard starting a 1 min conjuration. They also never try to break comcentration.
They also only attack once per day.
I admit, I just build encounters to match the story but I will bung in a few minions to give different classes something to chew on.

Remove ads