X4: Master of the Desert Nomads - IC

kinem

Adventurer
For years, the Great Waste to the west of the Republic of Darokin has been the home of nomad raiders. Petty little tribes, both human and otherwise, have roamed this trackless waste, raiding each other and the surrounding settlements. For a while, the local lords easily controlled this banditry. Then the tribes became dangerous: the raiders apparently set aside their feuds and prepared for war. Spies reported massive armies gathering. Shortly, some of the farthestflung towns were no longer heard from. Heeding their spies and the stories of refugees from the west, the lords and the governor of the Republic sent out a call for arms. Throughout the settled lands, they asked for mercenaries and experienced men to fight the nomad foes. All manner of men answered - peasants, mercenaries, veterans, elves, and adventurers. Among these many came your group.

You were late in arriving, for the main army had already marched. Your party joined the rag-tag lot of reserves going to meet them: the undesirables and unusables of those who came to fight. Along the way there were many quarrels and disputes. Peasants fought for a dead man’s boots; drunken mercenaries ransacked a village; men were knifed as old blood feuds broke out.

It's not been easy to integrate your little band of adventurers into the Darokin army. None of the men have dared to challenge you openly, but the looks they give you tell the story, and occasionally you have overheard remarks. "Which side are they on? Orcs, desert men and dark wizards? Even that halfling is strange!"

Commander Forest has barely had time to notice you, but Sargent Sarras has interviewed each of you and declared that you are welcome and loyal recruits. You are to report to him as needed, but even he is not to be disturbed unless the matter is urgent, as Sir Forest seems to have delegated much of the day-to-day operations to Sarras, while the nobleman busies himself with grand strategy (and, it is rumored, excessive drinking).

Finally, the reserves reached a village only recently taken by the main army. Still among the smoking ruins were the signs of nomad enemies - humans, orcs, and other unknown creatures. The commanders halted at this place. Now you have been camped here for several days.

The small village is Pramayama, a human farming village located on a bank of the Asanda River. The buildings are made of dried mud brick with thick walls and high, narrow slit windows. The many fences inside the village are made from palm tree logs and woven reed rope. Surrounding the village is a crude palisade (log wall) made from palm tree logs, woven palm leaves, and thorn bushes. A battle was recently fought here, and the village shows the effects. When you arrived, the palisade was broken in many places and the insides of some of the buildings were burned, but by now the palisade has been repaired and the soldiers have tried to fix up the remaining buildings. All the food (grain and cattle) has been taken or driven away.

There are only two villagers remaining in the town: One is known as "the mad hermit". Some soldiers believe he is a holy man, a prophet; how else could he have survived the massacre if not by divine protection? Others believe he is nothing but a lunatic, or maybe a demon. He is often heard screaming for no apparent reason, and usually at night.

The other villager, who you have heard called Pormas, is a man who had worked as a river guide.

Very little has happened since you reached the village and certainly nothing exciting. There have been no reports from the main army. Because your group has more experience than the normal soldier, you have been made special scouts and have been given the title “Guides.” This has managed to keep you from having to do most of the dull and demeaning work of the ordinary soldier.

Much of the reserve army has gone out searching for food. Only yourselves, the commanders, and a few others remain in the village.

Tonight is your night for guard duty.

ooc: Before night comes, is there anything you want to do today?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Bevin, Dwarf Rogue2/Wizard(Enchanter)6

So far, Bevin is very happy in his present surroundings. He likes his new companions very much, especially Aram Al Tarik, with whom he easily identifies since they are both ex-rogues.

"So, what say you, Aram, I'd like to go and speak to Pormas and learn some more about our present surroundings, and maybe even talk to the "mad hermit" if the opportunity presents itself. Will you accompany me? Let's ask Girgal if he wants to come along, too. We might as well take any of the others who want to come with us!"

Rhun

First Post
Aram stands from where he has been lounging with a heavy sigh. He brushes his hands across his chest and thighs, trying to knock away more of the travel dust that has accumalted over the last few days. "Yes, I suppose speaking to the remaining villagers may be of some value. I will accompany you." The dervish runs a hand through his close-cropped dark hair, and then adjusts his weapon belt so that his curved blades hang properly at his hips. He looks around as he does this. "Where is Girgal, anyway?"

Walking Dad

First Post
Girgal

"I'm already here," cames a voice behind the two mercenaries. The halfling with the wild, braided hair, strange face paint and primitive armor rides, as always, his lizard bareback. "I don't like guard duty, like a tamed dog. I'm a hunter, a predator." His grin seems a bit feral.

(ooc: already prepared spells)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer

"Girgal! How did you manage to escape our notice with that audacious face paint and that huge lizard?!! Oh, and just so you are aware, it's really not very polite to sneak up on the rogues." ;)

"Shall we go and speak to Pormas, then?"

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
A raspy voice is heard from outside the room you're currently in, "Well if you're going to see the hermit, I'm sure he'll try something so I'll come with you, just in case" sounding like bone scrapping against bone, as a figure enters the room. Rajah has long been the outcast of the group, his dour demeanor and ragged appearance hasn't earned him many points with the others. Somehow his quirky nature, and willingness to throw himself fully at any combat has kept him in the fold. Rajah steps into the room with his trademark hodgepodge clothes, although it appears that some of them are new, possibly taken from the unfortunate victims of the battle.

Leif

Adventurer

Bevin smiles, "Yes, Rajah, do come with us please." If the rest of the group considers Rajah to be 'the outcast,' as he apparently considers himself, then that is all the more reson for Bevin to include him with the rest of us. "I'm certain that we can find some use for your talents, even if we are unable to locate the hermit." Bevin gives Rajah a gruff smile and a wink. Soon, though, he moves away as expeditiously as decorum will permit, seeking some fresh air. Turning away from the party so his lips can't be read, Bevin quietly mutters, "Stone and Ore! Must we bathe that lad ourselves? What will it take to get that bone stink off of him?"

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Girgal

"I'm with you. Our pack should at least hunt informations." Girgal answers. On Ripclaw he is almost as tall as a human. "And I like your clothing, Rajah. Taking the skin of your prey."

Last edited:

Remove ads