• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X4: Master of the Desert Nomads - IC

kinem

Adventurer
A dagger hangs at the man's belt. You can see the in the sparsely furnished room behind the man hangs a suit of tan leather armor.

The man replies "Hah, that's a switch. Who ever heard of soldiers that do anything but take what they can?

Well, I have food and water, if that's what you mean. Thanks only to the river, of course. Gotta boil every muddy drop or it makes you sick. Though I don't reckon there's enough fish in it to feed your army, no way.

What I really need is a way out, not that you could or would help there. There's nothing left for me here.

Used to be, the nomads raided us once in a while, took a few slaves. This time was much worse. It wasn't just desert folk, there were orcs and monsters of all kinds. That new Master of thiers made 'em bloodthirsty. They just killed everyone they could. They even killed my brother Horrat, and he was a strong worker! Though I reckon he took a few of 'em down first. They would've killed me too, if I hadn't hid so well in the river mud.

I got one skill and that's the river. If you military types need a guide upriver into the desert, I'd do it for one thousand gold. I need that money to start me a new life far from here.

Though if I were you, I'd just desert now, to be honest. Escape while you can. From the way those nomads were talking, your main army was drawn into a trap. That crazy Master planned well for this."

Leif

Adventurer
Bevin, Dwarf Rogue2/Wizard(Enchanter)6

"We understood that the raids were just by bands of desert nomads, but you speak of "a Master." Can you tell us who is behind the raids, and do you know anything of this Master?" As the man responds, Bevin thinks very hard. When he again stops speaking, Bevin says, "And there is one more thing that I don't quite understand -- Why are you still here?"

Out of the corner of his eye, Bevin sees Aram the Longsuffering Dervish standing with his hands tucked in his belt, and he thinks to himself, My what a good little human, waiting there so patiently!

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Aram lets Bevin do the talking; indeed, the dwarf wizard hardly ever shut up. The dervish smiled to himself at that thought, as he watched the dwarf speak to the river guide. Aram hooks his thumbs in the front of his belt, to either side of the prominent gold and silver buckle, and waits quietly.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Rajah watches the exchange with interest, he pipes up at a break in the conversation "If you wish, my friend, I can allow you to speak with your brother Horrat if you so wish, especially seeing as you're being so helpful to us." his eyes gleaming with desire at the thought.

kinem

Adventurer
At Rajah's comment, the man is startled, and for the first time he seems to take a long hard look at the necromancer.

"I don't know any more than that, same as I told the other soldiers. I overheard a few of them talking, that's all. Some of 'em wanted to take slaves I think, but another guy, I guess he was in charge, told' em no. Said it was by command of the 'Black Master'. They all agreed the 'Master' was great and would lead them to conquest, so they did as they were told.

Why I'm still here - are you crazy? I don't have a horse, or food to travel away from the river with. Even if I did, only a fool would even think of travelling alone in these parts. Even in the old days, the good days, there were bandits. Now there are hundred times more and monsters all over the place. Besides, the past few days I've been helping bury our dead."

Looking to Rajah he continues "I want no part of your black magics. If you can bring him back to life that would be great, but you don't look like no holy father to me, sir.

Anyway, might be Horrat was the lucky one. He died an honorable death, cut down in battle in defense of the village. I'm sure he'll find a place among the spirits of our honored dead."

Leif

Adventurer

OOC: Bevin is a little slow to grasp the exchange between the man and Rajah. When it does finally sink in what has been said, Bevin looks down at his feet, shakes his head, and walks away from the door without another word.

Rhun

First Post
kinem said:
"I don't know any more than that, same as I told the other soldiers. I overheard a few of them talking, that's all. Some of 'em wanted to take slaves I think, but another guy, I guess he was in charge, told' em no. Said it was by command of the 'Black Master'. They all agreed the 'Master' was great and would lead them to conquest, so they did as they were told."

Aram steps up to the place vacated by Bevin as the dwarf walks away. "Good sir," he says, offering a small bow, "I am Aram Al Tarik, of Ylaruam. Not all of the soldiers marching with the army are undesirable sorts. Some of us are honorable men, and seek only to help and defend those that are less fortunate. Do you know where we might find this 'Dark Master'? If we could stop him, then perhaps we can help to once again make these lands safe."

Walking Dad

First Post
Girgal

Girgal waits silently as the others continue the conversation. This is nothing for him. He prefers the simple communications with animals to the falsehood and deception in the speech of men.

Leif

Adventurer

Bevin will take this time to withdraw a bit from the group for some solitude and enjoy a nice fill of his pipe. He will remain close enough to the group so that he can hear everything that the man at the door says.

kinem

Adventurer
Rhun said:
Aram steps up to the place vacated by Bevin as the dwarf walks away. "Good sir," he says, offering a small bow, "I am Aram Al Tarik, of Ylaruam. Not all of the soldiers marching with the army are undesirable sorts. Some of us are honorable men, and seek only to help and defend those that are less fortunate. Do you know where we might find this 'Dark Master'? If we could stop him, then perhaps we can help to once again make these lands safe."

The river guide scowls at the man of the desert. "I'll believe deeds, not words, sir. What do you take me for? If I knew where to find the enemy leader who ordered the destruction of my village, don't you think I'd have the brains to tell your commanders about it?

I don't know any more than I've already told you. Now, unless you can find me some safe transportation to some distant city, or you know someone who needs to hire a river guide and is willing to pay well, I'll bid you good evening. I have fish to fry."

He moves to close the door if there are no interruptions.

Last edited:

Remove ads