XGtE: are any of those flavor magic items any good?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I like the hat that lets you pull out minor critters.

I’m playing a rogue/wizard and the dm let us choose one. I was tempted to get the hat that could be used as a focus. I thought that was awesome because you can do any wizard cantrip.

They all seem situational, but you will need to be creative to make them work.

CydKnight

Explorer
My Battlemaster recently used Heward's Handy Spice pouch to season some Axebeak roasted by the fire after the party took down a charging flock of them.

jgsugden

Legend
Few of them require attunement, but the ones that do are actually fairly useful at lower levels.

I throw a lot of 'minor' magic items into games that are non-combat items. They're the things that a noble would commission to make their lives easier - a pair of shells that can cast message once per day, a rod that vibrates on command, a lens that can count similar objects that the user is viewing, a ring that cleans the wearer as prestidigitation, etc... We use technology a lot - nobles that have access to wizards would likely seek to obtain similar benefits.

S'mon

Legend
Perfume of Bewitching and Moonblade are the ones that se common use imc. Recently had a perfumier reward a dashing noble for killing monsters in her back yard and I had an obvious choice...

If you put it out there and someone in an adventuring party doesn't fall in love with the Cloak of Billowing, I'd be shocked. It's gloriously fun and absurd.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
OMG, clockwork amulet is amazing. It's often very easy to calculate the monster's AC, and it's often low enough that a 10 hits, so this item amounts to "1/day, automatic hit." And it doesn't require attunement! Should probably be Rare, not Common.

Technically, since it doesn't require attunement, you could wear like 20 of them and just auto-hit all day long (although if a player of mine tried that I would explain that "rocks fall, you die" is also technically allowed).

More good ones:
- The pot of awakening has some utility for guarding your base. Combine it with a staff of flowers and protect your castle with wall of sentient rosebushes!
- The rube of the war mage is super-sweet for any sort of spellcaster who also wants to use weapons. At higher levels its utility drops off because of the attunement requirement.
- The bead of nourishment and the bead of refreshment don't say how much they weigh, but assuming they are MUCH lighter than normal rations, it would be good to have a few on hand as "emergency rations" if you get lost in the wilds or stuck on another plane of existence or something.

gyor

Legend
The only one I remember is the wand of frowns/smiles. The Items were one of the disappointing sections as most items were useless. Still better then over a dozen pages of names.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The flavor items are as good/bad as your creativity makes them.
If you can think up uses or "descriptive text" ("I suddenly walk around the corner and strike a dramatic pose where the crowd can see me, my Cloak of Billowing adding to the visual effect; I want to look like I own the neighborhood and belong here") that relies on their effects, so much the better.
OTOH, if you never remember them or think up anything they might do / help with, never mention the item, it then is useless.

Remove ads