D&D Movie/TV (Yet another) D&D Movie Speculation thread.

Nebulous

Legend
Why not do a trilogy that spans years, from low 1st level tier, to mid level, to high level? Star Wars kind of did that in the original trilogy, especially with Luke becoming a master jedi by part 3.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Why not do a trilogy that spans years, from low 1st level tier, to mid level, to high level? Star Wars kind of did that in the original trilogy, especially with Luke becoming a master jedi by part 3.

That would be fine... If you were assured of funding for a second and third movie (BTW, I hate trilogies—it's always trilogies... Marsha! Marsha! Marsha! ... Never mind). Typically, you're not going to get that funding unless the 1st movie does well (or your intended sequels, if they do happen, get a shoestring budget). Better to go in with a self-contained movie (but with enough threads that a sequel will seem natural should you get the green light).

You’ve probably seen that movie at least a dozen times. That’s the point. By having a story that the audience is familiar with and conditioned to enjoy, it allows the specific details of character and setting to come through and engage the viewer.

You don’t need to reinvent the classic adventure story, just tell it in a unique and interesting way.

No, I've seen it ONCE. A little movie called Star Wars I think.

The problem with your recipe is it is far too specific. It's possible to tell a heroes journey story without being such a blatant Star Wars rip off. See the Baldur's Gate CRPG for example. This follows the Star Wars template, but in a way that is subtle enough that you don't see it unless you look for it.

And a D&D movie will be slammed by critics (which will hurt it's performance, whatever the trendy opinion happens to be) if it is too obviously Star Wars-with-metal-lightsabres, just as it will be slammed if it too obviously apes LotR or Game of Thrones.

(This stands in contrast to the typical D&D campaign, where plagiarism is pretty much expected).

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah. Except the point is to acknowledge the racism inherent with having the drow and evil elves be dark skinned. To admit that you know it's problematic and lampshade it with a joke. So the audience is aware you know and isn't on edge waiting for the drow to appear.
People tend to be more forgiving if you acknowledge the problem rather than pretending it doesn't exist.

Because having the only non-white people be evil still applies if they're somewhat purple.

Saying there is racism is "inherent" in dark skinned evil elves is different than saying that it is "problematic." I would disagree with you that it is "inherent racism." Problematic? Sure, although mostly because of how people might interpret them, not because of anything inherent in the idea itself.

Oh yeah, aren't there plenty of non-white people in the FR that aren't evil? Or Greyhawk? I could understand this if all non-white peoples of D&D worlds were evil, but that isn't the case.

Anyhow, the drow shouldn't be dark-skinned, because they're subterranean. They should be pale. Now did Gygax design them as black-skinned and white haired because he was racist? Probably not. He probably designed them that way because they look cool. I mean, remember this?

Drow.JPG

Mercurius

Legend
I want a film where the adventurers walk down a dungeon and see a long hallway and say:
"Yeah… that's trapped."
"A trap. Here. In a hidden temple deep in the Trollmoors? In an unremarkable hallway behind a locked doors and beyond a secret passage?”
"Yes."
“Why?”
“Because it’s where I’d put a trap.”
“... Fair enough. Let’s break out the ten-foot pole.”

I don't want that film. In fact, it reminds me a bit too much of the previous crappy D&D movies - a kind of wink-wink nerd humor that I, and I think most people, don't find all that funny.

NPC: “While there, watch out for the drow. They’ll try and kill you.”
Person of Colour Adventurer: “Drow? What are they?”
Other Adventurerer: “Dark elves.”
PoCA: “The hell? That’s racist.
OA: “Dark as in evil. They’re slavers who rebelled against their god and fled underground. And now worship a horrible demon lord.”
PoCA: “Oh. Okay.”
OA: “But, yeah, they do also have black skin...”
PoCA: “Mother Fu-”
(End scene)

I don't mean to pick on you, Jester David, but I really hope we aren't submitted to this sort of dialogue. One of the ways to guarantee a(nother) crappy D&D movie is this sort of very non-immersive dialogue. I don't want to ever feel like I'm watching a movie about D&D players playing D&D characters. I want to see a movie that is immersed in the worlds of D&D. It is a subtle but very important difference.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Saying there is racism is "inherent" in dark skinned evil elves is different than saying that it is "problematic." I would disagree with you that it is "inherent racism." Problematic? Sure, although mostly because of how people might interpret them, not because of anything inherent in the idea itself.

Oh yeah, aren't there plenty of non-white people in the FR that aren't evil? Or Greyhawk? I could understand this if all non-white peoples of D&D worlds were evil, but that isn't the case.

Anyhow, the drow shouldn't be dark-skinned, because they're subterranean. They should be pale. Now did Gygax design them as black-skinned and white haired because he was racist? Probably not. He probably designed them that way because they look cool. I mean, remember this?

View attachment 103803

Agreed, the implications are problematic, but not inherent.

Also, good points.

dave2008

Legend
That would be fine... If you were assured of funding for a second and third movie (BTW, I hate trilogies—it's always trilogies... Marsha! Marsha! Marsha! ... Never mind). Typically, you're not going to get that funding unless the 1st movie does well (or your intended sequels, if they do happen, get a shoestring budget). Better to go in with a self-contained movie (but with enough threads that a sequel will seem natural should you get the green light).

Well that was the Star Wars approach after all. He had a series in mind, but it really only became possible because of the success of the first - which acted well as a stand alone movie too.

Last edited:

Remove ads