• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You Bastard Sword!

Tagnik

First Post
Bastard Swords....

What's better to use to swing them one-handed, Exotic Weapon Prof Feat? or Monkey Grip Feat? Can it be done?

I had another question but I can't think of it, Thank you :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Bastard Swords....

What's better to use to swing them one-handed, Exotic Weapon Prof Feat? or Monkey Grip Feat? Can it be done?

Let's see.

EWP (Bastard Sword) - allows you to use a bastard sword one-handed.

Monkey Grip (Bastard Sword) - allows you to use a bastard sword one-handed, with a -2 to all attacks.

What would you say?

-Hyp.

Correct me if I'm going wrong but isn't one of the prerequisites of Monkey Grip that you have profiency in the weapon used and you need a BAB of at least 5 and don't mind if this last prerequ. is wrong a Weapon Focus in the weapon you wish to wield.
By any means, is Monkey Grip the worst choice you can make to wield a bastard sword.
Monkey Grip was created and should be used to wield weapons of large size one handed, and therefore I think it's pretty good.

Crothian

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Next question, though - could a Gnome with EWP and Monkey Grip use a Bastard Sword one-handed?

-Hyp.

I'd have to say yes, because Bastard sword is a medium sized weapon. I think that's the important thing. So, monkey grip can allow a small creature to use a medium sized weapon one handed, and a bastard sword is a medium sized weapon.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Correct me if I'm going wrong but isn't one of the prerequisites of Monkey Grip that you have profiency in the weapon used and you need a BAB of at least 5 and don't mind if this last prerequ. is wrong a Weapon Focus in the weapon you wish to wield.

BAB +3, Weapon Focus, and Str 13+.

However, there's nothing stopping you taking Weapon Focus with a Bastard Sword as long as you have Martial Weapon Proficiency.

By the letter of the feat, a Medium character couldn't take Monkey Grip with a bastard sword (and why would he want to?), because a bastard sword is not one size larger than him. But if someone wanted to, I'd allow it :)

-Hyp.

That's right a gnome could use a bastard sword one handed if he has EWP (BS) and Monkey Grip, still he must meet all the prerequs. he needs to aquire these feats.
And let me say an ogre could wield a huge greatsword one-handed with these feats.
You can make this progression in either direction with the same outcome. You can wield a weapon one size category langer than you one handed.
Pretty easy isn't it?!? ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'd have to say yes, because Bastard sword is a medium sized weapon. I think that's the important thing. So, monkey grip can allow a small creature to use a medium sized weapon one handed, and a bastard sword is a medium sized weapon.

Now, what if he didn't have the EWP? Just Martial?

-Hyp.

@Hypersmurf: You don't want to tell me that that character would get any profit from doing so. And you can't tell me further that it would add some flavor to the character because anyone with EWP could do the same.
But I have a nice idea if you use weapon of your size you may allow your player to add 1.5 times his str.-modifier.
But maybe this is for gmae purposes offbalancing but you might concider such an option as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads