D&D 5E You Can Now Get Minis For The D&D Combat Wheelchair

The combat wheelchair rules designed by Sara Thompson now have miniatures! And part of the proceeds go to charity.

combat_wheelchair_minis.jpg

The minis were designed by Russ Charles, who sculpted minis for Cats & Catacombs, Dungeons & Doggies, and others. There are four miniatures, each in a combat wheelchair -- human druid, tiffing cleric, dwarf barbarians and elf rogue. They're being produced by Strata Miniatures, and you can get physical metal or resin minis, or you can get 3D printer files.

A quarter of the proceeds go to the charity Ehlers-Danlos Support UK. So you can get something awesome and do something good at the same time!

I love the wheelchairs and will definitely buy the minis. They will fit great in one of my two campaign; they are utterly inappropriate for the other.

The Twitter discourse on these is astonishingly toxic, both from the people opposing the idea and from the people supporting it. Please let's all do our part to keep that from happening here.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Overall, I'd say the magical wheelchair is roughly as universal as a ninja. Cool with lot's of RP potential. But there's a reason you don't see them in every campaign. Also, it's much easier to handwave the problems away if you slide more towards the gamist side of things, as opposed to the simulationist side.
Nowadays, RPGs are leaning more toward telling good stories, thanks to actual play shows on Twitch, YouTube and podcasts. These fit in perfectly in many of those, which tend to be pretty high fantasy with lots of magitech. (The Adventure Zone had both magical trains and entire arc built around fantasy off-road racing with magical cars, including one that's a giant plant.)

MGibster

Legend
Let's remember that there is a veritable panoply of campaign settings, assumptions, and styles of play out there which means there is a place for these types of miniatures to be used. They look great, add a bit of diversity in representation, and I find them completely appropriate for campaigns set in Eberron or for use in Acquisitions, Inc.

Why would you need wheels in this case?

You're right... As other have pointed out, the wheels in the rogue case is a revolving quiver for throwing daggers. I am pretty sure the others have combat use as well, just more difficult to identify. Extending spike to make a whirlwind attack for the dwarf on top of his regular attacks, probably magical use for the casters. Maybe a wheel of easy to get reagents sorted by spell so you can access them easily? Maybe focus for the Shield spell?
These thrones of flying destruction are awesome.

So to answer your question, they need wheel for when someone will cast Disjunction or Antimagic Field on them. They wouldn't want to be stranded after so much cool.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases