D&D 5E You find a magical _____, it does _____

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Next item: a basket of crumpets

A basket of crumpets was in fact the first magical spoonerism discovered in Eberron

Next item: A Casket of Brumpits

merwins

Explorer
Hey @rgoodbb

This is the second post I've noted where it seems like you haven't made much of an effort to really contribute.

Attempts at comedy are cool, but I'd prefer the thread not be derailed.

I am getting a lot of value from the more meaningful posts in this thread. Subtle, nonstandard, clever items go a long way in my game.

I've seen a number of thoughts interspersed between posts without breaking the chain of ideas. That's seems a far more reasonable route to take.

Thanks.

Oh, and for the record, [MENTION=6886148]Herosmith14[/MENTION], the Summon Cubes were great. I'm combining your idea with information at this link:
http://mathematicscentre.com/taskcentre/103fourc.htm

To create a magic item that transforms into a portal to one of 15 different dungeons depending on which shape it is fashioned into before it is set down and the command word spoken. I might simplify to only eight basic formations if you don't have to set the finished construct down before activation.

Last edited:

Unwise

Adventurer
This has been a pretty useful thread for me, lets see if we can get it back on track.

Nanny Olga's Basket

The crumpets themselves detect as magical but have no effect. This picnic basket acts like a bag of holding, but only for food. Well, technically you could put anything in there, but it would be a really bad idea. Any food held inside it never goes off, in fact, if you put raw ingredients inside it, they can come out soon afterwards as fully made foodstuffs. E.g. Put in flour and eggs and sugar etc and pull out some muffins at a later stage, if you put in a sword or rope etc it does not know what to do with them, but adds them as ingredients into other food items. The basket has emphatic intelligence and always knows just what food will satisfy you the most. Be aware that that the basket "knows best" you must eat breakfast food at breakfast time and it will serve up healthy vegetables etc if it thinks you are not eating well. It makes a slight tutting sound if you eat too many sweets.
- When taking a leisurely meal, up to five people can maximise the first two hit dice that they spend during the rest

Next: A book entitled "Things I Wish I Knew" the author is listed as a very famous adventurer

merwins

Explorer
Next: A book entitled "Things I Wish I Knew" the author is listed as a very famous adventurer

The Book of Regrets (legendary, no attunement required)

This legendary item does not require attunement. Anyone can read this sturdy but worn tome that detects as conjuration and divination magic. It is simply emblazoned with the title "Things I Wish I Knew" and the author is a famous adventurer. No other information can be discerned through Detect Magic or Identify.

The book is always discovered in a location that was difficult to reach or find. It contains the complete and truthful answer to one or more questions. The answer will always be entirely meaningful to the author of the book, but to others it may be cryptic or clear, based on their knowledge and background.

WHILE CLOSED:
The book grants all specifically-phrased wishes made by the person who currently possesses/owns it. If ownership has not been established, the first person within 10 feet of the book to make such a specifically-phrased wish automatically claims ownership.

The specific phrase is, "I wish I knew...{something}."

The book's pages are immediately filled with an answer to the wish or wishes made. The answers are designed to be completely clear and detailed for the owner. The author's name changes to match the current owner.

After any such wishes are made, the next time the book is opened or is away from the owner's sole personal possession, it teleports 200-2000 (d20x100, ignore 1) miles away to a location that is difficult to find or reach. There is a 5% chance (1 on d20) the book is teleported to a different plane.

WHILE OPEN:
The wish is granted, as above, and the book instantly vanishes from the owner's/reader's hands, as per the teleport described above. Even an Anti-Magic Shell, Time Stop, or Wish will not prevent the book's magic from taking effect.

Next: A fine needle with a short gossamer light trail where the eye should be

Last edited:

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Next: A fine needle with a short gossamer light trail where the eye should be

Fairy Needle: The eye of this needle only opens up under the light of a new moon. When open, the needle can be used to sew or repair clothing or armor the same as any other needle of its size (although it won’t break, even in tough leather). A character with the proper tool proficiency can stitch or repair one piece per long rest due to the intricate work required with fine a needle.

During the next month (until the rise of the next new moon), an individual can then turn a piece of clothing or armor stitched with the needle inside out (doing so with light armor negates any Dexiterity bonus to AC, medium or heavy armor cannot be reversed) while the moon is in the sky. Upon doing so, that individual is considered invisible to all Fey and creatures of fey ancestry. If worn in the Feywild, this is considered Improved Invisibility. The effect ends at sunrise and, in any case, cannot be used again with that piece of clothing or armor until the next new moon.

If the possessor of the needle comes within ten feet of any hay stack, he or she must make a Intelligence (Investigation) check DC 20 to find the (suddenly strangely lost) needle again.

Next: A hand-held stained glass, changing its image to depict the person carrying it

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Next: A hand-held stained glass, changing its image to depict the person carrying it

Portrait of the Acolyte (Requires Attunement)

This is a small 6" x 8" stained glass portrait. Once attuned it changes to match the owner.
When placed against a solid vertical surface and activated, the frame expands out into to a wooden door, with the stained glass set as a window at eye level. A flickering light shines through from the other side.

Inside the door is an extra-dimensional space. This is functionally similar to Mordenkainen's Maginificent Mansion, except the space is a large mostly empty cathedral. If the Owner has a patron deity the altar, icons, and trappings reflect that religion. If the owner does NOT have a patron deity, the altar, icons, and so on reflect images of an unknown deity.

The accommodations are sparse, with hard beds in monastic cells, plain water from a well in the kitchen, black bread, and split pea gruel. While not exciting the food is filling, provides the mechanical benefits of Heroes Feast, and can feed up to 16 people for one day.

Lastly, for any divine casters, if the deity depicted at the Altar is their deity, after a long rest in the temple and preparing spells, they are Blessed (as the spell) with a duration of 24 hours until discharged, and they may gather enough holy water from a font by the altar to fill one normal holy water flask.

Next Item: A Tuning Fork with Three Tines

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Next Item: A Tuning Fork with Three Tines

Threek of Tuning

Requires an Action to strike the tines upon a solid surface and activate, after which you have advantage with all musical Performance checks for [some reasonable amount of time. Should also give some benefit to anyone musically accompanying you].

Also good for eating peas.

NEXT: a pair of mismatched socks in serious need of darning

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
NEXT: a pair of mismatched socks in serious need of darning

Socks of the Mendicant

Thread Bare, Holed, and Stained, this pair of socks is never the less always magically clean, soft and comfortable, and warm. But this is just a minor benefit, their true magic is in illusion.

Donning this pair of socks causes all the rest of the wearers clothes and belongings to appear equally shabby and worn. This grants a +10 AND advantage to disguise oneself as a beggar. They also allow the user (if using a Downtime Job system) to earn money begging at the same rate that a Master Craftsman would plying their trade.

Next Item: A fountain pen filled with gold ink.

Remove ads