Your D&D edition is not a football team

Herschel

Adventurer
Wait, we are talking about REAL football or american football? :p

American Football IS REAL football, not that simple, mind-numbingly boring game that was so bad they thought they could make it more interesting by not letting players use their hands. I mean just look at the statues depicting excellence in performane for the sports:

American Football:
heisman-trophy.jpg

Soccer:
200px-Venus_de_Milo_Louvre_Ma399_n4.jpg

:devil:

Pilgrim

First Post
Now, as gamer, you dong you want to root for a team, go watch sports. But leave this kind of behavior out of D&D.
I have to disagree.

Right now, my edition of choice, my team, is in the lead for bringing home the trophy, to me. 5E is now the new player on the field, trying desperately to make the play and prove they can be just as good as my team.

In order for them to do that, they have to perform every bit as good or better than my team. I'll happily toss them some plays and pointers now and again after I've had a chance to watch them play a bit, see what they're made of and what I have to work with; but if in the end, they don't perform to my standards or in the fashion I find acceptable, then no matter how well other players think they play, I'll leave them in the dust and continue to root for my own team, letting them do what they do best.

This doesn't mean I'll berate the other team or it's fans, but for me to become one and start supporting them, the 5E team better do what they say they will and then some.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I get it - we geeks don't watch sports, so we don't get to root for "our team" every Sunday.

There are way, way more sports geeks than rpg geeks. You wanna see people REALLY min-max join a fantasy baseball league where there are stats like PVORP, WAR, quality starts, holds, BABIP. Where a hitters average on the road, at night, against lefthanded pitchers, in July, on a full moon, while his wife is pregnant and his son is wearing the color red actually impacts decisions.

Last edited:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I have to disagree.

Right now, my edition of choice, my team, is in the lead for bringing home the trophy, to me. 5E is now the new player on the field, trying desperately to make the play and prove they can be just as good as my team.

I don't care if 5e is as good as my team, I just want it to be in the same league.

Herschel

Adventurer
When you root for a football team, nothing changes if they win or lose. Sure you might be happy or sad, and you might be able to go to a championship parade or buy a nice championship hat or shirt, but that's it.

When the game style you prefer prevails, it means that the new version of D&D will be more enjoyable to you. You will have a bigger pool of players familiar with your favorite style and you will get more invites to games you prefer to play in.

So that is why wanting particular a game system is nothing like rooting for a team in sports.

Your view assumes that everything is static, which it isn't. Fans of teams aren't always just fans of one team, just like fans of games aren't always fans of just one game. Teams and sports also gain and lose fans as success and play style change. Just to use the NFL, for example, there are fans that no longer watch it or care because the rules give a strong precidence to the offense, especially the pasing game.

Another example: home team fans aren't always "home team" fans. Take Saint Louis, MO for example. The Cardinals were the "home team" for a number of years, then they move to AZ. Eventually the Rams moved to Saint Louis. Some fans stayed with the Cardinals as their favorite teams, others switched allegiances to the new home team.

Then there's Florida. The Dolphins have been around for quite a while but in the early 70's the league expanded and put a team in Tampa Bay. It's not like the Dolphins fans all remained Dolphins fans instea dof changing allegiances to the new team, but at least they were in different conferences.

Then in the mid-90s, the league expanded and put the Jaguars in Jacksonville, the same conference as the Miami Dolphins. And that's not even mentioning the numerous, successful college programs in the state also drawing legions of fans.

And none of this takes in to account casual fans who like a sport in general but don't particularly care for any one particular team.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I get it - we geeks don't watch sports, so we don't get to root for "our team" every Sunday. We're sitting around a dinner table pretending to be elves and wizards.

You are right, I don't get to root for my beloved Twins every Sunday. Sadly, basebell takes time off every winter. :.-(

(But I do agree with your larger point.)

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
A few years back, if you went to a Big 10 football game, and the home team lost, you could expect to see some rioting, property damage to cars, a sofa or two burned in the street.

Those same few years back, if you want to a Big 10 football game, and the home team won, you could expect to see some rioting, property damage to cars, a sofa or two burned in the street.

So, yes, no big change :hmm:

Not voicing your opinion does no good. That is true. It does not follow that voicing your opinion is guaranteed to do good. How you voice your opinion matters. Abusing other players in the name of your opinion not only does no good, it does active harm. There is a pretty solid argument that much of the fracturing of the market should be blamed upon *us*, not on game design, or WotC marketing practices.

With the power to speak your mind, comes the responsibility to do so in a controlled and constructive manner. We can be passionate without acting like jerks, and should strive to do so.

"You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to Umbran again"

Well, you know what, screw you bulletin board software. Umbran, here's some XP.

You're right.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I have been conducting an extensive review of the Geek Code, and I believe under the new, more inclusive definition of " geek " approved at the last convention, " sports fanatic " is now more or less interchangeable with " sports geek " .

I think the term "sports geek" is an oxymoron. The jocks berated us geeks back in high school for daring to be different, and now they claim to be among us now that geeks are cool?

I will not sacrifice geekdom. We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. The jocks get in our face and we fall back. They shove us in lockers and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

picardfacepalm.jpg

Er, uhm.... *whistles*

I think I still have my therapist on speed dial... ;)

Remove ads