• Sliders

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Farscape

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other

Votes: 29 43.3%

drowdude

First Post
.......................and.....and... I just cant believe this....

You actually left out B5... man... what *were* you thinking when you did that poll? :p

Eternalknight

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Oh god, how the heck did I forget B5!?!? You may all now call me an idiot :D As for witchblade, not out in Australia so I obviously didn't think to put it in.

I'll quote myself here, just because people keep on asking me why I forgot B5. It was an oversight. Same with X-Files. I'm only frig-gan human people! :D

Smallville, Alias, Highlander.... I have never seen them, and am not even sure if they are out in Australia.

Well, as far as the comment about B5 making Star Trek look like the ramblings of monkeys. . . . To be more accurate, B5 makes Star Trek look like the occasionally insightful, well-funded ramblings of monkeys (with good acting in TNG). I love B5 for it's story, but a lot of their one-time characters were badly acted, and the sets look kinda pathetic compared to Star Trek. Still, it's a nice series.

However, I come here primarily with one purpose. You forgot The Jackie Chan Adventures. Not that I can blame you, since it's a cartoon, and you might not have it where you are, but it's currently my favorite show on TV. It's more entertaining, and often more compelling, than most sci-fi or fantasy shows out there.

Enterprise, especially, always seems really slow and kinda dull to me. Not enough vigor in the characters.

I just never got into Buffy. It mildly pains me that it's rated so high, but then again, I'm judging it from the movie. However, the one episode I have seen (the musical one) was entertaining, until the last 5 minutes, which made me go "Eh?"

Highlander is really good after their budget got raised for the second season. By the way, do you notice that a LOT of sci-fi TV shows really suck in their first season, then get a lot better afterward?

Storm Raven

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Well, as far as the comment about B5 making Star Trek look like the ramblings of monkeys. . . . To be more accurate, B5 makes Star Trek look like the occasionally insightful, well-funded ramblings of monkeys (with good acting in TNG). I love B5 for it's story, but a lot of their one-time characters were badly acted, and the sets look kinda pathetic compared to Star Trek. Still, it's a nice series.

Nope. B5 made Star Trek look like it was made by pathetic wannabe monkey's who wouldn't recognize an insightful story ot theme if it hit them in the head with a tire iron.

Just about every single Star Trek story pretty much revolved arund one of three things: (a) the holodeck has gone crazy, (b) there is a spacetime anomaly that messed up the ship and (c) Q is messing with the ship. And the solutions were almost as bad: (a) reconfigure the deflector array (or other piece of technobabble) in the last ten minutes of the show and fix everything, (b) agonize about it, but go ahead and break the Prime Directive, and (c) wait for Q to bail you out.

The acting in a typical Star Trek episode was pathetic compared to B5. The Star Trek sets were not nearly as interesting as the B5 sets. The storylines were trite. The characters were annoying (how many episodes revolved around the Trek crew talking about how "much more advanced" they were than modern humans, since they weren;t greedy or something any more), the character development was nonexistent. In short, there was almost nothing Star Trek did well, let alone anything it did better than B5.

Ranger REG

Explorer
RangerWickett said:

I just never got into Buffy. It mildly pains me that it's rated so high, but then again, I'm judging it from the movie. However, the one episode I have seen (the musical one) was entertaining, until the last 5 minutes, which made me go "Eh?"
Trust me, the TV version is nothing like the bombed movie version.

Highlander is really good after their budget got raised for the second season. By the way, do you notice that a LOT of sci-fi TV shows really suck in their first season, then get a lot better afterward?
Well, they can't really suck that bad, else the network executives would have pulled the plug. But they do get off on a shaky start.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Live Long and Prosper...

Well, that's your opinion, Storm Raven. While I like B5, it wasn't good enough to become a franchise, with failed spin-offs after spin-offs (0 for 2 as I recall), which is sad.

But there is always Star Trek ... until Braga came along and was given an executive producer's chair. Still, I am content with TOS, TNG, DS9, and the first three seasons of VOY. Plus a handful of Star Trek movies.

Remove ads