D&D 5E Your Most *Fun* D&D 5e Character

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It's time to take a little break from some of the usual discussions on the forums for a diverting thread where you tell people about your character (because everybody loves that). Or maybe talk about a character in a game where you are the DM. Specifically, what is the most fun D&D 5e character you've played or seen played and why?

In particular, I'm looking more so at the specific class/race/feat/etc. combos and whatnot with only a small emphasis on the specific campaign or character backstory. As usual, bonus points if the character is a beastmaster ranger and/or has Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter as is still somehow fun for everyone at the table.

For me, it's probably a character I've been playing of late, a half-elf lore bard 3/ divination wizard 2, Fortuna Farsight, who is great at imparting advantage or disadvantage, granting bonus dice, or rerolls. She's a fortune-teller and it's fun to say "I foresaw that outcome..." or "I knew it!" whenever I manipulate the dice to get an effect the party desires. Fortuna fits well in the Curse of Strahd campaign, too.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Dex based wood Elven Battlemaster with archery fighting style and stealth. Quite a bit of versatility.

It's been about a year since I played him, so I can't remember anything specific. In every battle encounter, he usually had several viable options. Things like...trying to gain surprise by stealth, using a bow or going sword and rapier, using the Commander's Strike with the heavy damage dealer in the group.

He's had an 8 Int, so I played him as easily frustrated by anything complicated and he suffered several curses because of this. The curses were from complicated traps within the UnderDark (His usual method of disarming a trap was poking it with a rapier)

Zardnaar

Legend
I enjoyed my Path of the Nutpunch (fists) Monk more than my Valor bard, Light Cleric and Paladin.

After that the light cleric was fun.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I've been greatly enjoying most of the characters coming across my table lately, so it's hard to pick a favorite.

I'd have to go with Orsic. He's this terrible, uncouth, unwashed, dangerous, pyromaniac thief of a dwarf that a friend of mine is playing in the one campaign so far in which I get to actually play a character.

My character and his have this "long history" that is actually not that long at all; we met by chance one day when I entered a tavern in a town I'd never been to before and he tried to pick my pocket. Rather than take offense, I commended his bravery and skill (since my character's fantastically high perception was only just enough to have noticed his attempt, and is very clearly talented and generous with violence), and hired him to my party which I was aiming to assemble.

And we've developed this kind of short hand where my character will give his a look, or a nod, and he'll do something outlandish that is always exactly what I had hoped for - which is literally just me saying "Garret gives Orsic a nod as if to say 'You know what to do." and my buddy guessing what I'm talking about, because the in-character time spent establishing this short-hand was glossed over and we haven't given any out-of-character discussion to the matter beyond that we've agreed that my character is keeping Orsic out of trouble under normal circumstances, and telling him when circumstances permit for him to "be himself", which inevitably means grappling someone to drag them into the "kill zone" (prone between a thief and a champion) or lighting someone/something on fire.

I also have to give an honorable mention to The Pirate Lord Vex, who is the missing part of our criminal hero trio. He was played by another friend of ours who has since moved one state over, and was in essence Captain Jack Sparrow, if he were more of a "storyteller" and spent even less time on any ship or doing any actual piracy.

UnknownDyson

Explorer
I am currently playing a cambion son of the demon lord Graz'zt who was abandoned at birth. He was spawned from a secret affair between Graz'zt and Iggwilv's daughter (who looks just like her). After this was found out, Iggwilv took terrible vengeance on Graz'zt, imprisoning him (which led to the fall of his empire in the abyss after an invasion by Demogorgon) and turned her daughter into a sea hag. Most of my character's relations want/ have nothing to due with him as he has been marked for death by his own grandmother simply for being born. Good stuff.

Last edited:

7 Fighter BM human variant w/Sharpshooter and Archery Style

Just a fun character all around and made me fall in love with 5e. The Starter Set fighter with a few tweaks from PHB along the way. Really, made it feel like a 1e Unearthed Arcana Fighter Double Specialized in the Long Bow. I'd switch between Great Sword, TWF Short Swords, and a Long Bow, and perform well with all of them. Later on I got a +1 Longsword "Talon" and used that instead. The Folk Hero Background was just awesome. I played him like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Low Cha, obnoxious hunter the common folk loved. Due to the Folk Hero Feature it worked perfect. Such a character would be impossible with a dump stat Cha and no Persuasion.

I think what I loved the most was the Battle Master maneuvers worked well with melee and archery, and allowed me to go back and forth between them. I'd use Maneuvering Attack with my Bow to "pull" the Wizard out of HtH or put another character (usually our Barbarian) in melee. If I had to get dirty I'd fight with Talon and use Riposte to tear them up. If I needed to distract the enemy as I charged in I'd use Evasive Footwork, drawing Attacks of Opportunity and creating safe openings for his team. If I needed to use my bow then Evasive Maneuvers would let be leave HtH more safely. It worked best when we were ambushed and lost initiative. Then I could fall back and create an opening for others to follow. Later on I used Goading Strike with my Bow to distract enemies locked in melee. He was such a versatile character.

Last but not least, the Roleplaying aspects of 5e came through. In 3e there was really crappy Profession skills, which meant you lost points elsewhere. In 5e you're proficient in tools and it increases with level automatically. I was a Carpenter (Carpenter's kit) and later a Mason (Mason's kit). During gameplay when we finally reached the Lost Mines, my knowledge of stonework actually came in handy. After defeating the dragon Venomfang, I rebuilt Thundertree and constructed a great statue of ME in the center of town. Again, it reminds me of 1e when Fighters would eventually have keep and henchmen. I missed that about 1e. Now, if they'd bring back the level titles...

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
7 Fighter BM human variant w/Sharpshooter and Archery Style

Just a fun character all around and made me fall in love with 5e. The Starter Set fighter with a few tweaks from PHB along the way. Really, made it feel like a 1e Unearthed Arcana Fighter Double Specialized in the Long Bow. I'd switch between Great Sword, TWF Short Swords, and a Long Bow, and perform well with all of them. Later on I got a +1 Longsword "Talon" and used that instead. The Folk Hero Background was just awesome. I played him like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Low Cha, obnoxious hunter the common folk loved. Due to the Folk Hero Feature it worked perfect. Such a character would be impossible with a dump stat Cha and no Persuasion.

I think what I loved the most was the Battle Master maneuvers worked well with melee and archery, and allowed me to go back and forth between them. I'd use Maneuvering Attack with my Bow to "pull" the Wizard out of HtH or put another character (usually our Barbarian) in melee. If I had to get dirty I'd fight with Talon and use Riposte to tear them up. If I needed to distract the enemy as I charged in I'd use Evasive Footwork, drawing Attacks of Opportunity and creating safe openings for his team. If I needed to use my bow then Evasive Maneuvers would let be leave HtH more safely. It worked best when we were ambushed and lost initiative. Then I could fall back and create an opening for others to follow. Later on I used Goading Strike with my Bow to distract enemies locked in melee. He was such a versatile character.

Last but not least, the Roleplaying aspects of 5e came through. In 3e there was really crappy Profession skills, which meant you lost points elsewhere. In 5e you're proficient in tools and it increases with level automatically. I was a Carpenter (Carpenter's kit) and later a Mason (Mason's kit). During gameplay when we finally reached the Lost Mines, my knowledge of stonework actually came in handy. After defeating the dragon Venomfang, I rebuilt Thundertree and constructed a great statue of ME in the center of town. Again, it reminds me of 1e when Fighters would eventually have keep and henchmen. I missed that about 1e. Now, if they'd bring back the level titles...

Background system is quite good and there are some great back grounds in SCAG and Southland Heroes.

I ended up with a sucker for a pretty face thing. I know she is bad I just can't help myself..... (As a NG cleric of Lathendar). I can redeem her!!!

My late 3e character Roderick Fallstaff. He was a nobleman. And a wizard. But mostly nobleman.

I loved him because he was a jerk. Arrogant, entitled, snobbish, and ridiculous. And that little bit racist. The entire campaign was him being humbled and humiliated, much to the entertainment if the rest of the players. so much fun.

Zardnaar

Legend
My late 3e character Roderick Fallstaff. He was a nobleman. And a wizard. But mostly nobleman.

I loved him because he was a jerk. Arrogant, entitled, snobbish, and ridiculous. And that little bit racist. The entire campaign was him being humbled and humiliated, much to the entertainment if the rest of the players. so much fun.

I see a lot of nobles often played the same way lol.

I had an Acolyte Paladin, he was naive and a bit sexist in terms of dress code. OMG she has her ankles showing sort of thing. Naive ultra conservative LG twat.

Remove ads