You've just taken over WotC, what do you do?

mamba

Legend
I'm not seeing a huge number of actually profitable suggestions here. In fact a lot of the suggestions will lose money rapidly.
You should not be expecting many, these kinds of threads usually end up with people pushing through their pet projects or correcting one of their pet peeves

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Break the Magic reserve list then quit.
My favorite is when people think that means we'd get cheap versions of any of those cards instead of $150 single card ABUR dual Secret Lairs, for example :)

{Which now sadly has me wondering if I'd resist picking up the four blue ones...}

dave2008

Legend
  1. Sell off Magic the Gathering. I don't care about that, so I shouldn't be in charge of it!
  2. Rebuild Trust: release SRDs of all editions to CC & OGL; join ORC - release SRDs to ORC
  3. Continue with 2024 D&D: minor updates, backward compatible, improved DMG, & better dragons!
  4. Provide splat book "modules" 2x / year. Deliver on the idea of modularity discussed in the playtest
  5. Release all settings to DMsGuild & reduce fee.
  6. Update DMsGuild Adepts program.
  7. Update / revise D&D Beyond so 3PP can sell stuff on the platform.
  8. 2 setting support books / year (of already released settings): possible Beyond or Guild only (print on demand). Possibly KS as suggested by another poster
  9. Update 1 "classic" 5e adventures per year. Update with feedback to make the adventure better, not simply errata and typos.
  10. One lvl 1 - 20 book or books (each book covering different levels) per year.
  11. One lore book per year (like Fizban's and the upcoming giants book)
  12. Release Dragon and Dudgeon mags as part of DnD Beyond subscription, with print on demand option

Last edited:

My favorite is when people think that means we'd get cheap versions of any of those cards instead of $150 single card ABUR dual Secret Lairs, for example :)

The fact that they could do that is why is why the reserve list is bad for business. Imagine owning a game and being unable to reprint the most iconic cards. The only people who it benefits at this point are speculators. Not collectors. They've mostly cashed out. Speculators.

And I say this as someone who owns some of the Power 9 and has a full set of 40 duals.

mamba

Legend
Imagine owning a game and being unable to reprint the most iconic cards. The only people who it benefits at this point are speculators. Not collectors. They've mostly cashed out. Speculators.
is MtG a game? it mostly seems to be a vehicle for collectors and speculators at this point, not unlike NFTs ;)

Would be interesting to know which part of the market is players vs collectors vs speculators (and I realize that the boundaries are fluid). I assume MtG is a hybrid.
Whenever YT suggests a MtG video, it always is about the investment angle, never saw one about how to play, etc

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
is MtG a game? it mostly seems to be a vehicle for collectors and speculators at this point, not unlike NFTs ;)

Would be interesting to know which part of the market is players vs collectors vs speculators (and I realize that the boundaries are fluid). I assume MtG is a hybrid.

It feels like the casual play market (especially with EDH/Commander) is still going pretty well and that playability drives the prices of everything not either on the reserved list or alpha/beta.

Remove ads