D&D 5E Zard's Post Tasha's Archetype Tier List

Wererat you have things like cantrips. Warrior just needs to grapple it or something if they can't hurt it.
The alchemist has cantrips, which they don't need to use their infusions for. And, because you don't do anything in your game apart from fight, you are completely ignoring game-changingly useful infusions like Bag of Holding and Sending Stones. In our game Sending Stones was the thing the party really really needed that the artificer made.

As for Bless, you can cast it on yourself, but our support cleric doesn't. She casts it on the front liners who can make better use of it. It's called being a team player.

Zardnaar

Legend
The alchemist has cantrips, which they don't need to use their infusions for. And, because you don't do anything in your game apart from fight, you are completely ignoring game-changingly useful infusions like Bag of Holding and Sending Stones. In our game Sending Stones was the thing the party really really needed that the artificer made.

As for Bless, you can cast it on yourself, but our support cleric doesn't. She casts it on the front liners who can make better use of it. It's called being a team player.

Reason you cast it on yourself is so you don't lose it as easily when hit.

Last session was heavy combat but we had two encounters in 4 sessions before the current combat wombat stuff.

When it rains it pours.

Before that mostly diplo and exploration.

Taken them 7 months roughly to hit level 6, about to hit 7 (since June last year).

I ran two printed adventures if you want to check the amount of combat in them.

No one in the party deals particularly impressive damage all sword and board.

Think they leveled to 6 with a grand total of 3 encounters.

Level 6 has seen lots of combat though 5 was combat light.

Zardnaar

Legend
Which is irrelevant if you don't put yourself in a position to get hit.

Missiles, spells, AoE etc.

Level 6 they wore a chain lightning. Generally if PCs have lots if magic I'll add some more to my encounters.

Smart Spellcasters build around not having concentration interupted. Artificer saves are very nice.

Missiles, spells, AoE etc.

Level 6 they wore a chain lightning. Generally if PCs have lots if magic I'll add some more to my encounters.

Smart Spellcasters build around not having concentration interupted. Artificer saves are very nice.
Depends what you are fighting. Against general mooks you are better casting Bless on the tank and scrappers and letting them do their job.

The Artificer can infuse an item that prevents a character loosing concentration. They can give it to the party's main caster.

Zardnaar

Legend
Depends what you are fighting. Against general mooks you are better casting Bless on the tank and scrappers and letting them do their job.

The Artificer can infuse an item that prevents a character loosing concentration. They can give it to the party's main caster.

Casters in party already proficient in con saves and one if them also has warcaster.

They don't flunk concentrate saves often.

Divine Soul5/cleric 1. (warcaster)
Storm Sorcerer
Eldritch Knight
Paladin
Artificer
Light Cleric (warcaster)

Think they're good. 4/6 proficient in con saves, Paladin with aura, and light cleric doesn't use concentration saves much, radiance, force, fire. Everyone casts spells hmmnn.

Xanathars fighter bought a magic sword, all the other items are non combat fun trinket type stuff.

Paladin needs a magic weapon casts the spell or hits stuff harder via smites or just sucks.

Divine Soul and Cleric both have spiritual weapon.

Sorcerer doesn't care. Spells and cantrips.

Casters in party already proficient in con saves and one if them also has warcaster.

They don't flunk concentrate saves often.
In which case the artificer can make something else.

Artificer is the Swiss Army Knife class. It provides whatever the party lacks. It even has an infusion for removing stones from horses' hooves.

Zardnaar

Legend
In which case the artificer can make something else.

Artificer is the Swiss Army Knife class. It provides whatever the party lacks. It even has an infusion for removing stones from horses' hooves.

There's other swiss army knives classes though.

2/4 got a half decent rating.

And as I said lots of people think the alchemist is crap.

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Artificer: Artillerist

Shields another one as without the warcaster feat you may not be able to cast it.
Artificers should have no problem casting shield. Either they are using a tool focus or an Infusion in hand as a focus to cast all their spells. If they want to cast with their hands full of weapon and shield they just have to infuse one of them and use that as a focus. Since all spells are considered to have the M component for Artificers they don't have the same issues with casting Shield as others wanting to do so in combat. They don't need to have warcaster as long as the infuse their weapon of choice.

There's other swiss army knives classes though.
I would say the artificer is by far the broadest and most flexible, although bards do better in the social pillar.
2/4 got a half decent rating.
You have proved very effectively the subjectiveness of ratings.
And as I said lots of people think the alchemist is crap.
Which is typical min/maxer overreaction. Not quite as good as another option is not the same as being crap.

Remove ads