[Adventure] BH1: Merryl's Rescue (DM: Velmont, Judge: renau1g)

covaithe

Explorer
"Pardon me, learned one," Ikni whispers to Bell, bending over. "Do I understand correctly that these children are... criminals?" Ikni doesn't seem disapproving, just somewhat confused.

taran

First Post
Derien winces a bit as the tale unfolds. There are no slavers in Daunton, but that means nothing. Too many terrible things can happen to children on their own.

"I agree with my fellow elf" Derien says, hoping to annoy her. "From what we know so far, it sounds like Merryl's group ran into someone else at the hideout. But before we go charging off" - and here Derien turns his attention on Nelly - "We should learn everything we can."

Dunamin

First Post
Rhole gazes around with curiosity, gauging the warehouse’s acoustics. The fact that they are horrible doesn’t discourage him in the slightest from planning a concert in the near future. Despite the gloomy mood permeating throughout the assembled crowd, he still sees fit to step up to Pasquale and politely shakes his hand.

“Why hullo there! I’m Rhole and I’m here to make sure we do the missing children rescue and/or recovery operation in style! That includes a proper atmospherically wicked score to set the right tone!”

[sblock=Gang History]Rinch, Jarec, and Merryl sound like VIPs from previous adventures. What’s their story?

History 20[/sblock]

“So this hideout Merryl tried to set up, how deep inside Rinch’s old turf is it located? Might it be close to bordering with a rival’s territory? Was it just picked as a natural expansion close to your old place, or is there some McGuffin to it?”

“Oh, I hope it’s the last one, that would really work mad wonders for soon-to-be-composed pieces!”

Meanwhile, Rock has been sent out through one of the holes in the roof to keep watch invisibly over the warehouse. The imp looks out for approaching travelers, or anyone who might be spying in on the meeting.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Bell takes in the situation and then tries to summarize things to Ikni. "Yes, we've come across the secret living quarters of one section of a larger community of loveable street urchins. When Charina was down on her luck they formed some kind of outcast mutual protection bond."

[sblock=Streetwise 25]Roll

Just to see what I know about any of the names, gangs, locations mentioned.[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Rinch]
Rinch was the main villain from my adventure 'Zombies and Crooks' and was finally slain in '6 Eagle Down'.

I didn't know Velmont would recycle some of it but, nice!

I entered some stuff in the wiki about him. Though not as much as I should have.

In short, he is a seemingly invincible human who comes back from the dead more powerful each time he is killed. He is a servant of a fallen power called 'The Usurper' who tried to overthrow the gods at the dawn of time. He had gathered a street gang and was conspiring with his cult to bring him back, most recently by acquiring an artefact caled the 'Heart of Darkness'. It was thwarted.

Rinch's blood could create and control zombies and he had affinities with all kind of 'undead' and 'shadow' keyword types.

Thanks to a special ritual performed by Montroya (PC invoker of Apoli), the last time he was killed should have locked his soul away for about a year. Normally, he shouldn't be a concern until paragon levels. There are about 10 active PCs plus two retired PC on L4W that fought him at least once (9 in the last fight, including Kama'Zer, currently the highest level PC on L4W)! That might be a record.

Jarec was just a necromancer lieutenant of Rinch. When killed, a chtullu worthy monster burst from his body, tentacle and all. That led to a nasty and very public brawl in front of an hospital in the commons.

Merryl is just part of Charina's background and is first mentioned on my character sheet and this adventure.

I don't know what Velmont has planned, but normally it shouldn't directly involve Rinch. Of course, his gang was never completely wiped so...[/sblock]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]With your roll, you have heard all of what Mal's said, except that Rinch would come back in at least a year (Montroya himself is not even aware of that fact I think). And all you've heard is a mix of official facts (Zombie and Crooks PC were made heroes of the city) including all the official manipulation to calm the population, and rumors, with all the distortion rumors can have. So seeing people like Pasqual not believing Rinch won't come back is not necesserly a surprise.

And will that adventure will directly involve Rinch... your guess is just as good as Mal's guess. :devil: [/SBLOCK]

Nelly seems hesitant. "Merryl asked me to tell it to no one, but... We had been working at the Fisherman's Alley. The hideout is in the basement of an old store named the Swordfish. One block south of the eastern street, the one passing next to the Sea Gull. You'll find her, Charina?"

Dunamin

First Post
[sblock=Lore]Wow, thanks for the more than extensive answer, Mal. Considering that you wrote him up, I'm not surprised you'd have the fullest answer, though. ;)[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
As the group turns around to leave by where they have come, Pasqual adds "Good luck, Charina.". The group leaves Nelly to Pasqual and heads toward the Fisherman's Alley.

The Fisherman's Alley market had sprung illegally in the most convenient location; it was officially a public square dedicated to Arek Steelsheath, one of the Five, the heroic swordmistress. A magnifient statue, 20 feet high, still reminded everyone of the place's original purpose. But the location was ideally located near to the docks and on a well travelled street toward the heart of the city and so soon vendors and peddlers were squatting the square. No effort to clear the square had ever been successful and soon the authorities just gave up. Now it was a sprawling affair with stands and tent everywhere and a thick crowd that made navigating the area difficult at best.

It was bordered by worn out apartment buildings that rented cheap due to the persistent odour of fish driving down the value. This was a problem that Harann, a somewhat well known elderly retired adventurer, had used to his advantage. The sophisticated and cunning half-orc barbarian had bought for cheap a location near the market and had opened a restaurant without kitchens! His waiters had arrangements with the nearby vendors. He even mitigated the odour problem with the use of a curious enchanted statue of a sea gull that acted on the mind of people to convince them they were smelling and hearing the sea. His ancient partners had thought he was crazy to claim it as part of his loot instead of an enchanted weapon, but now he enjoyed a much more prosperous retirement then they did. He had named his establishment, logically enough, the Raging Sea Gull.

After the group have been able to make their way through the thick crowd, they find the Sea Gull and take the street next to it. As they exit the square, the crowd quickly thin and they are able to walk more freely. Two blocks down, they find the Swordfish. It looks like an old blacksmith shop. The chimney exhale no smoke and the doors seems to be lock. Planks have been nail to the windows.

Remove ads