Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

It's definitely coming off as a slow burn show. (Because that worked sooo well for Dollhouse).

The last four or five episodes have been neat for really focusing on a single cast member, letting us get a better feel for the group. And there's the romantic tension as well as the growing question of what happened to Colson - if anything. There's some plots going on but I imagine they wanted to see if they nabbed a full season before going all-in with their big plotline.

Derren

Hero
Another average "problem of the week" episode, this time focusing on Mei and explaining why she actually is a "big deal".
Still, the character interaction felt a bit forced to me, especially the constant tricking of people.

And while the next reference to Thor 2 was appreciated, again the episode failed to bring "Marvel" into the story. Imo thats also an issue because of the limited licenses the series has to operate under.
The enemy in this episode had
Nightcrawler
written all over him, but instead a random guy was invented which did not appear in Marvel before even just by name.
I have said it already but I want to mention again that Arrow does a much better job in integrating itself into DC as it has actual DC characters appearing in the show, even if most of them are heavy changed/toned down and often only recognizable by name. Still, that is better than what Agents of Shield does.

Crothian

First Post
Arrow does a better job now in the second season but there were far less references in the first season and there were some internet threads on it last year with very similar complaints to what we are seeing here. I do think Arrow is the better show now especially since they are able to use more DC characters then before but last year I was not as entertained by it. Agents of Shield could easily turn out the same way but it's the internet so of course people are going to complain instead of just stop watching something they are obviously not enjoying.

Derren

Hero
Arrow does a better job now in the second season but there were far less references in the first season and there were some internet threads on it last year with very similar complaints to what we are seeing here. I do think Arrow is the better show now especially since they are able to use more DC characters then before but last year I was not as entertained by it. Agents of Shield could easily turn out the same way but it's the internet so of course people are going to complain instead of just stop watching something they are obviously not enjoying.

Even the first season of Arrows had several notable DC characters. Deatshot, Deathstroke, etc. (See here http://screenrant.com/arrow-cw-dc-comics-characters-cameos-guest-stars/).

What did AoS have? A very short Nick Fury appearance, references to the Avangers and Thor 2 movies and an unknown Asgardian. Also no clear plot is visible. Arrow at least had the list. There was this organization in the beginning who extracted the powers of "superheroes" (perfect situation for an X-Men tie in, but again, license issues) but they vanished and we are left to "monster of the week" episodes and character exposition of characters which are imo not all that interesting as we have seen those archetypes a hundred times by now.

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
This series needs a lot more first season Heroes and a lot less "Scooby-Doo". I'm still watching because my wife is interested, but *yawn*. I was hoping for something more like Heroes or Stormwatch: Team Achilles as a tv show. Instead I get a lackluster Warehouse 13. I'm still wondering where their budget is.

Richards

Legend
The only problem I had with this episode was the stalker's power didn't mesh up with what had occurred earlier, when we were being led to believe that the safety inspector was causing the "telekinetic" action. I had called an invisible guy as an alternate explanation, mere minutes before he first manifested in the background. However, while an "invisible guy" could have easily thrown canned goods from the shelves in the store and set a police car into motion, I'm a little fuzzy about how a "guy who blinks back and forth between dimensions" was able to do that. It was apparent from the fight scene with May at the end of the episode that he wasn't still physically present here on Earth whenever he "blinked" to the other dimension (she actually had lifted him over he head when he suddenly disappeared), so I'm a bit perplexed as to how he was responsible for the shenanigans at the beginning.

It seems like the writers were so focused on "make it look like these are telekinetic manifestations" that they forgot to ensure "these false telekinetic manifestations have to be plausible given the nature of the real powers involved."

Next episode looks good, with a return of Mike, "the Hooded Hero" from the first episode. Although given that he has a young son, it's going to be a little problematic if Mike becomes a full-time part of the S.H.I.E.L.D. team.

Johnathan

The only problem I had with this episode was the stalker's power didn't mesh up with what had occurred earlier, when we were being led to believe that the safety inspector was causing the "telekinetic" action. I had called an invisible guy as an alternate explanation, mere minutes before he first manifested in the background. However, while an "invisible guy" could have easily thrown canned goods from the shelves in the store and set a police car into motion, I'm a little fuzzy about how a "guy who blinks back and forth between dimensions" was able to do that. It was apparent from the fight scene with May at the end of the episode that he wasn't still physically present here on Earth whenever he "blinked" to the other dimension (she actually had lifted him over he head when he suddenly disappeared), so I'm a bit perplexed as to how he was responsible for the shenanigans at the beginning.

It seems like the writers were so focused on "make it look like these are telekinetic manifestations" that they forgot to ensure "these false telekinetic manifestations have to be plausible given the nature of the real powers involved."

Next episode looks good, with a return of Mike, "the Hooded Hero" from the first episode. Although given that he has a young son, it's going to be a little problematic if Mike becomes a full-time part of the S.H.I.E.L.D. team.

Johnathan

I'd have to rewatch the scene, but wasn't the police car actually actively driving. I seem to remember turning wheels.

Derren

Hero

Thats what I have said a few posts above.
Mutants would be perfect for Agent of Shield. They are relatively low powered most of the time, numerous enough, do not step on the toes of the Avengers much and would fit in the already existing plot.
But there are licensing issues like with many other Marvel content.

But that they have a restrictive list of what they can use is even worse than what I would have expected. I think we can forget this show having any "Marvel" content in it besides mentioning the events of the accompanying movies (and maybe the Guardians movie too when it comes out). And at that point I wonder why this is even advertised as a Marvel show. And what else has the show to offer? The characters are not all that exceptional and Coulson can't pull it all alone (he isn't even pulling, just standing there and relying from his Avengers fame which is about to run out imo)

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Another rerun. The second in this first season.

It's been many, many, many years since I've regularly watched a TV show in its "real time" run. The last time was the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, (I didn't start watching it till its final season), and that season inserted many reruns in the middle of the "real time" plot. That confused me very much, as I didn't know those episodes were reruns. So this is a [re]new experience for me.

Is it common, nowadays, for TV shows to insert reruns during the season? Why do shows do this? Why do they show the preview for the next episode, but then next week show a rerun? It's pretty damn annoying.

Bullgrit

Remove ads