• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] Siege on Ebonring Keep

Galbraith

First Post
Ah! You met Fithizer! Yes, he would have mentioned me if he knew you were coming this way. Good man, he is! A scholar... well, I don't know if I would give myself that honorific, but I learn what I can. Religion is just an interest I have. And as far as the bow, well, I'm not good enough where I could shoot a kobold through an arrow slit at 50 paces, but I have been known to put and arrow where I need to.

not noticing an abundance of bows and crossbows

Where would you be heading?

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Pyior frowns slightly at Danwyn's redirection of the question and is clearly disappointed in Osric's answer.

Sighing he answers, "I see, I was hoping for some... er, stimulating conversation. Perhaps you would get along with my companions however, like you they are more interested in physical combat than challenges of a more intellectual sort.

As for our destination, it's no secret, even the unfortunate bandits we met along the road easily surmised correctly - we are headed for Ebonring Keep.

I hope you will excuse me, I'm a bit tired and could use some hot food and a warm bed. You're welcome to join us inside if you wish."

Galbraith

First Post
Amazed at my good fortune I decide to take the offer to join them

Thank you very much, I WILL join you! Let me clarify, I would prefer a good book and a discussion to shooting pointy sticks... I just happen to have a talent that pays for my meals. The minute you find someone who wants to discuss theology, and is willing to pay for my room and board, let me know!

With a slight bow and a sweeping jesture he points towards the Roadhouse

Let's get off the road. The ale I had about an hour ago was pretty good, let's see if they have gotten any better.

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Khajom sighs at the magister's dismissal of combat. "There's a certain purity in the proper execution of the martial arts. Some peoples feel that this exertion can even be, well, somewhat religious."

...turning to Osric...

"People pay money to talk theology with you?" Khajom cocks his head to the side, puzzled.

Rybaer

First Post
[ooc - taking a few liberties to push things along...]

Pirythanis still has substantial injuries and Pyior needs a bit of rest. In spite of it being just short of midday, you decide to hole up in the Grumblewood for a bit of rest and recuperation.

[ooc - Dayan will spend a short while to prepare lesser transfer wounds and, between that and a couple diminished castings, Pirythanis is fully healed.]

The staff of the Grumblewood is efficient if not exactly the most comfort oriented. They can offer you straw pallets in one of three common rooms for a silver a day. Most of their services revolve around horse care and wagon repair, catering to the caravans that stop here. They can offer food and beverage for a price.

The evening passes uneventfully...dicing, drinking, and sharing stories. At one point Dayan approaches the group (you hadn't even noticed that he was missing). He looks a bit distraught and explains that something has come up and he must depart the group. He wishes you well and suggests that if he can take care of this other issue he may try to catch up. When pressed for more details, he politely refuses and will decline any offer of assistance.

[ooc - if ShadowX ever returns, we'll see about working him back into the story.]

The next morning dawns bright and it promises to be warm day. Osric and Pyior chat idly about their respective fields of expertise, religion and monstrous beasts. After the ambush yesterday, everyone keeps a little bit more attention on the surroundings...particularly bushes, trees, and large rocks.

On the subject of large rocks, about three hours outside the Grumblewood, you start to encounter massive obelisks periodically. Each is made of a single piece of stone standing upwards of 20' tall and sticking up out of the ground like a smooth, stubby finger pointing to the heavens. They are clearly not a natural feature, but there are no markings to indicate their purpose. You've heard rumor of these stones, yet no one seems to know who put them here. Some say they pre-date the arrival of the giants on this continent.

Shortly before noon, as you round a small hillock, a trio of brown-furred humanoids with curled horns come into view. They wear armor and carry spears, axes, and shields. For those who have never seen one, they match the classic description of rhodin.

The rhodin appear to have been walking along the road in your direction and they spot you at about the same moment you notice them. They snarl something to one another and appear to prepare to throw their spears.

[ooc - distance between groups is about 100']

Initiative:
Khajom - 23
Pirythanis - 20
Danwyn - 19
Osric - 14
Ys-Baddaden - 12
Rhodin - 8
Pyior - 4

rangerjohn

Explorer
Rybaer said:
[ooc - taking a few liberties to push things along...]

Pirythanis still has substantial injuries and Pyior needs a bit of rest. In spite of it being just short of midday, you decide to hole up in the Grumblewood for a bit of rest and recuperation.

[ooc - Dayan will spend a short while to prepare lesser transfer wounds and, between that and a couple diminished castings, Pirythanis is fully healed.]

The staff of the Grumblewood is efficient if not exactly the most comfort oriented. They can offer you straw pallets in one of three common rooms for a silver a day. Most of their services revolve around horse care and wagon repair, catering to the caravans that stop here. They can offer food and beverage for a price.

The evening passes uneventfully...dicing, drinking, and sharing stories. At one point Dayan approaches the group (you hadn't even noticed that he was missing). He looks a bit distraught and explains that something has come up and he must depart the group. He wishes you well and suggests that if he can take care of this other issue he may try to catch up. When pressed for more details, he politely refuses and will decline any offer of assistance.

[ooc - if ShadowX ever returns, we'll see about working him back into the story.]

The next morning dawns bright and it promises to be warm day. Osric and Pyior chat idly about their respective fields of expertise, religion and monstrous beasts. After the ambush yesterday, everyone keeps a little bit more attention on the surroundings...particularly bushes, trees, and large rocks.

On the subject of large rocks, about three hours outside the Grumblewood, you start to encounter massive obelisks periodically. Each is made of a single piece of stone standing upwards of 20' tall and sticking up out of the ground like a smooth, stubby finger pointing to the heavens. They are clearly not a natural feature, but there are no markings to indicate their purpose. You've heard rumor of these stones, yet no one seems to know who put them here. Some say they pre-date the arrival of the giants on this continent.

Shortly before noon, as you round a small hillock, a trio of brown-furred humanoids with curled horns come into view. They wear armor and carry spears, axes, and shields. For those who have never seen one, they match the classic description of rhodin.

The rhodin appear to have been walking along the road in your direction and they spot you at about the same moment you notice them. They snarl something to one another and appear to prepare to throw their spears.

[ooc - distance between groups is about 100']

Initiative:
Khajom - 23
Pirythanis - 20
Danwyn - 19
Osric - 14
Ys-Baddaden - 12
Rhodin - 8
Pyior - 4

Danwyn seeks cover and will return fire with the shortbow and masterwork arrows.

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Khajom spits and charges the rhodin. If he can get near enough to one, he'll tackle it, aiming to pin the sucker to the ground.

garyh

First Post
Pirythanis, as is his habit, draws his sword and charges toawrds the nearest rhodin, who Pirythanis will melee as soon as he closes upon them.

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
On Pyior's turn he will race after Khajom yelling "Khajom! Fight to subdue!"

After moving 20' towards the rhodin (1 standard move) Pyior stops, selects a target that doesn't have cover, and uses a diminished mind blast.

OOC: I've changed my spell selection the next morning as I had previously planned to do so.

Galbraith

First Post
WOW! Who are these guys I just teamed up with?!?! They must have encountered these guys before and know them on sight. Well, time to get to work...

I move about as close as I can to them, as quickly as I can, and begin to rain arrows down on top of them. As I get closer I'll try to get some cover and look behind us to see if we are being flanked.

Remove ads