• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have you bought any (non DM's Guild] 3rd party 5E products?

Have you bought any [non DM's Guild] 3rd party 5E products?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 28.4%

Halivar

First Post
Fifth Edition Foes was worth more than the Kickstarter price I paid for it. I use it often enough that I really need to get the PDF printed and bound...

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I'm an en5ider subscriber, plus I've picked up a few of the Fifth Edition Fantasy Adventures and plan to pick up more.

I'm usually fairly slow to pick up anything third party, but that's changing some. Particularly when it comes to adventures. Though I'd happily buy an updated Traps and Treachery.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Fifth Edition Foes was worth more than the Kickstarter price I paid for it. I use it often enough that I really need to get the PDF printed and bound...

How closely does this book hew to the final 5E rules? I did not back it because I was worried about compatibility.

Halivar

First Post
How closely does this book hew to the final 5E rules? I did not back it because I was worried about compatibility.
They deliberately delayed release until after the MM was released so they could fine-tune balance. The wonderful thing about the book is that it's inconsistency in attacks and powers and adds a refreshing style change from the core rules. Last session, I threw a Red Jester at my party. His primary attack is a Mace of Mirthfulness (or something alliterative like that): on contact make a will save or sing and dance for a turn (David Bowie had just died, so everyone had to do "Dance Magic Dance"). His secondary attack was more interesting: a bonus action to chuck a card from a Deck of Many Things at a PC. As luck would have it, he only dealt good cards. Lucky party. The Deck drops from his dead body as a plain deck of playing cards.

Was it balanced for a CR5 encounter? No. It was challenging for a CR5 encounter, but it was in no way balanced, except by the magic of bounded accuracy. I love it.

There are some very interesting carnivorous plants in there I'd like to try, also.

delericho

Legend
Fifth Edition Foes. That's all, so far.

I may pick up another 'monster' book somewhere along the line, and perhaps a setting if something grabs me (which seems unlikely, but not impossible). Mostly, though, I'm only interested in adventure material, I think.

Sacrosanct

Legend
They deliberately delayed release until after the MM was released so they could fine-tune balance. .

They should have waited longer ;)

For the life of me I'm forgetting the name of one of the monsters, but it's a CR5 that has more abilities and is tougher than most CR10 monsters. At will magic missiles (including casting them as reactions), a bunch other magical abilities, a bunch of HP and high AC, etc.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Fifth Edition Foes and Book of Lost Spells. Surprised to see so few (no? Only skimmed the thread) comments from people who picked it up.

Remove ads