D20 apocalypse

ogre

First Post
Anyone anticipating the release of D20 Apocalypse as much as I am?
I've always enjoyed the genre, but haven't seen many postings about it here on the boards.
I've been working on a D20 game based off D20 modern and look forward to see how the 'official' creators will handle the genre.

Roudi

First Post
I think d20 Apocalpyse hasn't created much buzz on these boards because most of us who enjoy the genre already have very good d20 games for it - like Darwin's World.

At least one of the d20 Apocalypse writers has expressed his appreciation for Darwin's World, so I'm hoping that d20 Apocalpyse will work as a good supplement, not replacement, to the material we already enjoy.

Ranger REG

Explorer
ogre said:
Anyone anticipating the release of D20 Apocalypse as much as I am?
It depends. You see, I'm not a fan of the more commonly popular apocalyptic element (nuclear holocaust) that you guys are. It's too cliche. I'm more into biblical Armageddon.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I think that Darwin's World 2 has satisfied a large portion of those who desire a post-apoc setting. Gamma World by SSS has also satisfied a good portion.

If D20 apocalypse fits with these two very well, it could do well. But the buzz is probably muted because most fans are pretty well happy by 3rd party offerings. WotC has a lot to live up to, an interesting turn of fate for WotC, IMO.

Dark Psion

First Post
Eric Anondson said:
I think that Darwin's World 2 has satisfied a large portion of those who desire a post-apoc setting. Gamma World by SSS has also satisfied a good portion.

If D20 apocalypse fits with these two very well, it could do well. But the buzz is probably muted because most fans are pretty well happy by 3rd party offerings. WotC has a lot to live up to, an interesting turn of fate for WotC, IMO.

Also GURPS Y2K covered several "End of the World" senarios.

As to D20 Apocalypse, if it is like D20 Past, it will only touch on these topics and not give them the detailed description they deserve.

Each of the three settings in D20 Past deserved at least 96 pages.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Dark Psion said:
Also GURPS Y2K covered several "End of the World" senarios.

As to D20 Apocalypse, if it is like D20 Past, it will only touch on these topics and not give them the detailed description they deserve.

Each of the three settings in D20 Past deserved at least 96 pages.

I agree that those settings deserve more attention, or at least make me long for more attention paid to them. Still, it may be that leaving us wanting more is better than overdoing it - your mention of GURPS is especially salient here. Check out GURPS Alternate Earths. Each of the settings in that book (Dixie, Reich, Tesla) could have been covered in a full-length books also, but I think the strength of the book is in sparking the reader's imagination, rather than covering a subject in exhaustive detail. Urban Arcana, while I like it, was just too much. 96 pages doesn't sound like too much, but I've yet to see WotC attempt such a thing successfully enough.

As for d20 Apocalypse...I'll get it, but the Post Apocalyptic genre kinda got old to me as far back as first edition Gamma World.

Emiricol

My understanding is that D20 Apoc is going to be mostly complementary with Darwin's World 2, not competitive, so I will definitely check it out. At 96 pages and the track record set by D20 Past, though, it is impossible to believe that even if it was competitive it could possibly do as good a job as Darwin's World did (in my opinion). DW being close to 400 pages of content, as a D20 Modern supplement - ie no repeat material... That's a LOT of content.

EDIT: But as a complementary product, I'm hoping it brings even more ideas out for my Darwins World campaigns.

ogre

First Post
I haven't played DW but I have looked at the handbook. I think it's really well done personally. One thing I do lament however is the lack of scaleable mutations, which is something I built into the setting I'm working on. I used to play gamma world 1st-3rd back in the day and I remember it being a lot of fun. Of course, you have to like the genre. They didn't have any of the cool modular aspects we have today with D20.

I'm hoping WOTC's offering includes some rules on how a PC learns tech, the main difference in standard D20 modern. Also, some nice rules for bartering and how to run a world without any form of cash.

Von Ether

Legend
Emiricol said:
My understanding is that D20 Apoc is going to be mostly complementary with Darwin's World 2, not competitive, so I will definitely check it out. At 96 pages and the track record set by D20 Past, though, it is impossible to believe that even if it was competitive it could possibly do as good a job as Darwin's World did (in my opinion). DW being close to 400 pages of content, as a D20 Modern supplement - ie no repeat material... That's a LOT of content.

EDIT: But as a complementary product, I'm hoping it brings even more ideas out for my Darwins World campaigns.
Personally, I'm looking at d20 Apoc as a add on for d20 Future, especially since I heard the mutations were going to be new, not repeats.

Emiricol

Well, DW does have scalable mutations actually. DW treats tech levels as feats (some of which you get free with particular backgrouns). However, it really lacks anything concrete in terms of a barter system. I've just had to compare item values and wing it for the results, and something mechanical would be nice.

I'd also like to see a more extensive, realistic disease system - something that includes Cholera, dysentary, giardia, etc. The content I did up for Tome of Sorrows (Midnight system) does that, but I am positive the folks at WoTC could do a better job of it, and integrate it more cleanly.

Another thing I'd like to see is a lot deeper look at chemical pollution and radiation. DW handles both adequately, but something I could drop in that had more depth would be very welcome.

Lastly, a comprehensive post apocalyptic gadget creation system. DW does repairs really, really well and very simple too, and of course zip guns and black powder weapons, but inventing gadgets, not so well.

Just my personal wish list :)

Remove ads