D&D 5E Healer feat

variant

Adventurer
Anyone else find this feat immersion breaking? An action to use a healer's kit to heal 1d6+4 hit points plus additional hit points equal to creature's level? What could possibly be done in less than 6 seconds? That's the quickest bandaging I've ever heard of, all while in the midst of combat.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Well, it's a "Healer's Kit," so typically I'm imaging generic fantasy healing unguents and magic bread and poultices and the like. Heck, maybe even a legit healing potion, in a small dose. Kind of magical, but the kind of magic that doesn't take real expertise and knowledge to use as much as it takes understanding that the goop in the wound will make it hurt less and speed up healing.

variant

Adventurer
Well, it's a "Healer's Kit," so typically I'm imaging generic fantasy healing unguents and magic bread and poultices and the like. Heck, maybe even a legit healing potion, in a small dose. Kind of magical, but the kind of magic that doesn't take real expertise and knowledge to use as much as it takes understanding that the goop in the wound will make it hurt less and speed up healing.

The description simply says it has bandages, salves, and splints. It costs 5gp. For all intents and purposes, it is meant to be mundane healing. I mean even if you accepted it has magical components in it, does he use a spray bottle?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
At some point... you have to accept that many people have "game concerns" more than "immersion concerns". For them... having a mundane heal that only takes 1 round to apply is more important than an explanation as to what it does or how it works.

If you think it breaks immersion, you can just choose not to use it. But for everyone else... the explanation that it's "fantasy healing in 6 seconds" is all that is needed, in order for the game to still work as a game.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Patient: "It hurts my immersion when we use this game element."

Doctor: "My advice is, Don't do that."

This came up maybe twice during the Q&A that they want home groups to pick and choose to match their style (likes, dislikes).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This came up maybe twice during the Q&A that they want home groups to pick and choose to match their style (likes, dislikes).

I am shocked... SHOCKED... to hear that game designers recommend you not use a rule you don't like. It's almost like they believe you can change the game into whatever it is you want.

My mind has been blown. ;)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
variant said:
The description simply says it has bandages, salves, and splints. It costs 5gp. For all intents and purposes, it is meant to be mundane healing. I mean even if you accepted it has magical components in it, does he use a spray bottle?

Me? Sure. And "mundane healing" in my mind can include bandages made of white linen blessed by a healing goddess, salves made of rare medicinal herbs, and splints from trees said to improve healing.

But this isn't about me, it's about YOU! So is there basically no way this can work for you as it is? If so, what would you like to change about it?

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Given that hit points are an abstraction that includes a wide variety of things -- and there's a (4e) history of inspiration-based healing -- I don't have any problem at all with the idea of a character who, as an action, can take a quick look at a minor wound, maybe stuff a bandage under the patient's shirt to stop some bleeding, and send the patient back into the fight with a "you'll be fine, now get back in there" or "rub some dirt on it, wimp."

-rg

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Healing Kit: this kit contains an asthma inhaler, some uppers, smelling salts, cut sealer, and a 6 pack of Red Bull to keep your party in the fight.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
See, I don't think "Deal with it, it's to make the game better, hit points are an abstraction!" is all that useful, personally. The issue is an issue of believability, and "You shouldn't care about believability" isn't a constructive approach, because how much and where one cares about believability in their imaginary elf game is very subjective.

It makes enough sense to me, in-world, but if someone else is struggling, I think the more useful question is, "Why doesn't this work for you?" If someone doesn't like healing kits and how they're applied, presumably, 5e should be able to work fine without them, or with a different kind of them!

Remove ads