D&D (2024) Healer Feat

Which ones are the "few overpowered" ones?

All the melee weapon cantrips are amazing for multiple classes
Mold earth and Shape Water have tons of utility, along with some of the more classic ones
Ranged cantrips give classes without good ranged options excellent ranged options

You'd have to try pretty hard to find more than 4 or 5 bad cantrips. (Resistance, True Strike, Acid Splash, Druidcraft....)

depending on your character: eldritch blast, shield, shillelagh.
It otherwise increases versality, not raw power.
I value versality high. So I like magic initiate.
Healer feat now allows you to patch up someone in mere seconds, even if you use all HD. Also sounds like increased versality. The power level has to be finetuned.

I'm sorry, didn't you say that the 3.X version was three times for 1/3 of their health?
No. Never mentioned 3.X*
I see, you are probably in edition warring mode so everything has to come down to 3.X vs 4e?

I said at level 3, you can heal 3 times per day for about 1/3 of their health.

Example: barbarian, con 14.

HP: 14 + 9 + 9 = 32
HD: d12(+2) x 3

Use of the healer feat is d12 + 2, average 8.5, with reroll a bit higher. So a bit more than 1/4 HP
I assumed con is included in the hit die, so I assumed 10.5 HP healed. Which is relative closw to 1/3 hp

A level one character in 5e has a SINGLE HD. So, the healer feat isn't once per short rest at level 1, it is once per day. And if the character has a Con of 16, it is WORSE than just taking a short rest (+2 versus +3)

It really doesn't matter if you feel 4e characters are too strong to compare this too, because you are the one who brought up the Warlord starting the 4e discussion. And it isn't "in the spirit of the warlord" because the warlord could heal 4 OR MORE times per day, for a standard amount, 25% of the target hp if memory serves me, never any less.

This feat is very weak compared to what it should be.

It is in the spirit of the warlord, as inspiring word uses the healing surge of the receipient.
Last time I checked, healing surges were also per day...

*I can see, how you read level 3 5e character as 3.5e character. Although that makes no sense in that context, as healer feat and hit dice/healing surges were no thing in 3.5.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Based on the 8 years of complaints regarding no true Warlord representation in 5E even with the Healer feat as an option... it's not surprising WotC has decided to change up the mechanics to allow it to be useful for magical healers too.

When you throw a bone and it gets crapped on... there's not much reason to throw the bone again.
Based on how Jeremy Crawford talked about the Healer feat and why they are making the changes they made, it doesn't sound like the Healer feat was ever meant to be a bone thrown to the Warlord crowd, but don't let that stop you from crapping on Warlord fans.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Based on how Jeremy Crawford talked about the Healer feat and why they are making the changes they made, it doesn't sound like the Healer feat was ever meant to be a bone thrown to the Warlord crowd, but don't let that stop you from crapping on Warlord fans.
Well, @the Jester seemed to think so... which is what my response was referencing.

100% agreed. The whole purpose of this feat was to give warlord players from 4e SOMETHING to chew on, since it was one of the most amazing things from a badly under-represented edition in the 5e ruleset. Nerfing it now is a terrible, terrible move, especially when some (perhaps many) groups have a character or two built around, or at least substantially around, to this feat. Some groups have it as their only form of healing; I have seen at least two such groups in 5e so far.

And don't worry... I do not need to crap on Warlord fans, cause you all do that to each other well enough every time one of you attempts to make another Warlord class for 5E. :)

Heck... Morrus created an entire Warlord sub-forum here a bunch of years ago just to house all the Warlord threads where everyone was screaming at each other trying to figure out what did or did not constitute a Warlord and what they should and shouldn't be able to do. You all have done the job better than I ever could, LOL.

the Jester

Legend
I haven't seen this but would be interested to, do you have a link?

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
When someone first mentioned adding the target's CON MOD to the healing, I thought it was a great idea. But after thinking about it, that would make it better then a Short Rest. As it is now, with just the healer's PB, it's almost as good as a Sort Rest, but not quite. That's how it should be, IMO. Taking a Short Rest should be ideal compared to using the healer feat, but sometimes circumstances don't allow for one. If the group is in the middle of a dungeon with monsters breathing down it's neck, sitting around for an hour to rest might not be feasible. But if a party member in that situation has the healer feat (whether a non-healer or a healing caster who's out of spellslots), a quick patch-up can save the day.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
I haven't seen this but would be interested to, do you have a link?
I believe it was in the One D&D promo video with Jeremy Crawford where he more or less says that with the Healer feat, the characters it was first designed for weren't taking it, so they decided to make it appealing for clerics and magical healers.

the Jester

Legend
I believe it was in the One D&D promo video with Jeremy Crawford where he more or less says that with the Healer feat, the characters it was first designed for weren't taking it, so they decided to make it appealing for clerics and magical healers.
Thanks, I'll have to rewatch it and pay more attention. :)

Remove ads