D&D (2024) Healer Feat

Chaosmancer

Legend
I stopped right here.
You also get a 1st level spell.

I was asking about cantrips though, not first level spells. So, why did you answer with a 1st level spell?

If you had no intention of answering the question, then you can't get snippy with me because I refused to get diverted.

I was asking about cantrips though, not first level spells. So, why did you answer with a 1st level spell?

If you had no intention of answering the question, then you can't get snippy with me because I refused to get diverted.
Sorry. Those are the spells I associate with magic initiate. Shield slipped in.
Indeed. My bad.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Now I read the rest. Thanks for the calculations.
You are still comparing apples and oranges.
You compare healing surges that are all 4e characters get (with some bonuses) to hit dice which are one of many sources of healing.*

No. I am not.

YOU keep saying that the healer feat is like 4e Healing Surges. I know that the Hit Dice are weaker because magical healing doesn't use them. Which is part of the point. 4e Healing Surges were ALSO used by magical healing.

These two things are not comparable, so why do you keep trying to compare them to say the Healer feat is good, when it completely ignores the MASSIVE differences between the two systems?

I am just assessing the feat and that at level 3 it becomes quite useful, because you can heal a bit more.

No you can't. You can heal FASTER, but you cannot heal MORE.

And this is what I feel frustrated by. This feat is the only source of non-magical healing in the game. Getting medical attention should allow you to heal MORE than just sleeping it off. Not just FASTER.

The only thing I conpared was that inspirational word uses ressources of the receipient, the new feat also does.
The old feat didn't.
All the rest you read into it is a not a claim I made here in this thread.

*I would not mind giving more hit dice to 1st level characters in 5e and also spend them for cure spells.
But right now, cure spells are extra, paladin healing is extra etc.

Right. In 4e every single source of healing, magical potions, healing spells, warlord abilities EVERYTHING used healing surges. Because the Healing Surge system was built directly into the game as a massive pool of healing that can be pulled on all the time.

Additionally, you could use healing surges during a short rest, but if someone used an inspirational word or a cure wounds ability, then you healed the surge PLUS MORE. They used the resource, but you got more out of the resource than just waiting and healing yourself.

This feat doesn't do that. It forces you to spend HD, which no other healing other than sleeping requires, and you potentially get LESS healing from it.

This is you YOUR comparison doesn't work.

And you have never once stated why it would be broken to allow this feat to give a single healing (1d6+4+prof) for free. Not every use for free, just one. At the cost of a feat, and non-magical healing supplies. Why is this a problem?

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think it suffices. It would be too much if one feat could do all the healing.
I´d rather have some more healing powers for the fighter.

Why?

Other than buying magical potions, this is a non-magical party's only access to healing. Why is it a problem if it can actually fulfill that job?

Baumi

Adventurer
I don't agree with the reasoning that the old Feat didn't help the healer-casters. The slot (and HD) less healing increased the healing potential massively, it even freeded up some of these healing spells for spells that prevent damage.

Also the healing was quite good even at high level, since you can heal the whole party for free, per short rest. So in a party of 5 lvl 15 chars with 2 shorts rests that would be free 15d6+285 for the group per day. 8D

I hope that the new one should at least add con or it might be worse than a simple short rest and taking a feat should be an advantage. But my main problem is that the hd cost at low level is immense. At first level you ca do that once and thats it, you have to take a long rest next.

trs31

Explorer
I may be a little late to the party but would this be a reasonable compromise for a revised healing feat?

HEALER

You are an able physician, allowing you to mend wounds quickly and get your allies back in the fight. You gain the following benefits:
  • As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature within 5 feet and restore 1 hit dice. The creature can't benefit from this feature again until it finishes a short or long rest.
  • As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature within 5 feet. That creature can expend one of its hit dice and roll that dice. The creature regains hit points equal to the roll plus the higher of its Constitution modifier or your Proficiency bonus. If the creature is suffering from a disease or poison that allows a saving throw to end its effects they may immediately make a new saving throw, adding the result of the dice roll. If they fail they suffer no new ill effects from the failure although they can still suffer the ill effects of future failed saving throws.
  • Whenever you roll a dice to determine the number of hit points you restore with this feat or with a spell, you can reroll the die if it rolls a one.

This lets you restore 1 hit dice per character per short rest in addition to the benefits of the new feat. The creature can then spend that extra hit dice either during their next short rest or, if you expend a second use of a healers kit straight away. It's not quite as good as an extra 1d6+4+Level healing per short rest but you get the other benefits too. You can also try to cure disease or poison with it now too, but the recipient must expend a hit dice (they may or may not need the healing) and this process may need to be repeated if the save fails or if multiple saves are needed to recover from the disease or poison. This means your healer can end up spending quite a long time and quite a lot of uses of their healers kit ministering to the ill.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think now that we see the first character UA, which also includes non-1st level feats, the power level of the 1st level feats are quite a bit lower than 5e feats. As such, having to spend a HD is in line. Also giving two different options that can't be used at the same time gives character flexibility and reinforces character theme for those wanting to play dedicated healers without a big power boost. Rerolling the first 1 on (Mass) Healing Word is less than half a point extra per die, and all other healing spells with larger dice get less boost from it.

I am sad that it doesn't apply to features as well as spells, if we ever see subclasses like the Celestial Warlock with inherent healing.

Remove ads