I want in. Teach me how....

MerakSpielman

First Post
...How to run a PbP game.

Are there special rules or conventions?

Any "in" jokes that I need to know?

People to avoid?

How is a typical PbP game started and played?

Help the struggling message board addict move on to a higher level of high!

-Merak

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Welcome, Merak!! Let's see:

Rules are pretty much same as live. The biggest change is that the DM usually does all the rolling (but not always).

"In" jokes? Well, other than that I'm in oodles of games, none that come to mind. :)

People to avoid? Well, there's... oh, wait, they might be reading this! :D

To see how a typical game is started and played, it's easiest to just browse some threads in this forum.

Does that help?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I'd be interested in joining more Pbp games as well, but I'd need help with character generation because all my books are in other parts of England to me at this time. :D

I'd like to play in a homebrew, pref low-mid level. I know roughly what I'm doing as regards Pbp, having started off in the Hivemind game (Big Trouble in Tzin).

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Yea. There is always a game just getting started begging for a DM.

Advice:

Jump on recruitment posts as soon as you see them. While it is sometimes hard to find a DM, there is no shortage of would-be players.

It is usually better to play in a game where the DM is within a few time zones of your own. If you get into an exciting game and everyone is posting in a frenzy, it can be tedious to wait 12 hours for a response from the DM. However, this usually isn't a big deal.

Read some of the other games currently going on. Lots of good stuff in here.

When in doubt, blame Piratecat.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Keep in mind, the Hivemind game moves at a MUCH faster pace than the average game, simply due to the nature of the players. :)

KitanaVorr

First Post
garyh said:
Keep in mind, the Hivemind game moves at a MUCH faster pace than the average game, simply due to the nature of the players. :)

How do I become a part of this hivemind thing of frantic posting?:p ;) :D

garyh

First Post
KitanaVorr said:

How do I become a part of this hivemind thing of frantic posting?:p ;) :D

We've already got a dozen+ players in the game, but in general, just go to, well, General, and find the [Hivemind] tag.

MerakSpielman

First Post
garyh said:

We've already got a dozen+ players in the game, but in general, just go to, well, General, and find the [Hivemind] tag.

Don't listen to him! You don't know what you're getting into! The hivemind is evil, evil I say! They escaped from the Meta forum and haven't been caught and corraled since!
:D
Honestly, though, they're good people (except for Darkness, but we all know that). They WILL assimilate you, if you let them, but I can think of worse ways to go.

In other news...

I'll take a look around. I'm interested in DMing a game.

garyh

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
In other news...

I'll take a look around. I'm interested in DMing a game.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to play in your game so you can have a mentor when necessary for the PbP experience. :)

I'm so gosh darn noble. ;)

MerakSpielman

First Post
I suppose it won't be much trouble to re-run the campaign my real-world friends are finishing up...

Gary, go ahead and email me a first level character. Core rules only. I'll use you as my "in" character, who knows a little more than he should...

(I plan to have all potential players email me characters instead of posting them. I don't want other people to influence people's character choices!)

(PS, I strive to be a Rat Bastard DM. Let me know how I'm doing.)

I'll start up a full-fledged recruitment thread later tonight (mountain time)

Last edited:

Remove ads