Eberron books and campaigns

Kyle Hagenbuch

First Post
I just wanted to put out there that I love the Blade of the Flame trilogy. I've seen a few posts where someone is asking for recommendations and it hasn't been on the list.
Also, how well have Eberron campaigns worked for people?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I just wanted to put out there that I love the Blade of the Flame trilogy. I've seen a few posts where someone is asking for recommendations and it hasn't been on the list.

I never read those, but I really liked the Dragon Below and Lost Mark series.

I had an Eberron campaign I ran for just under three years. It was awesome.

Also, have some newbie XP!

EDIT: what, we can't give XP anymore? I hit the button, hitting it again gave me the normal error message, but it doesn't show on the recipient's post.

What in the world has happened?

Reynard

Legend
I just started running a new Eberron campaign, by way of The Sunless Citadel. I am starting in New Cyre just to underscore the ravages of the Last War and the Day of Mourning, but plan on hopscotching around the continent with Forge of Fury taking place in the Mror Holds.

Tallifer

Hero
I have been running an on-line campaign set in Eberron and based on the Draconic Prophecies for the past five years. I have also run an occasional face-to-face campaign for teachers at my school, also set in Eberron.

The Mark of Prophecy which I created and sketched for my first campaign: (At one point, the party was following at a distance a great bear who changed its appearance and aspect now and then to reflect each of the seven parts of the Mark.)

Mark of Prophecy.jpg

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Every experience I've had in Eberron has been great with one exception - a game that was both in and out of Eberron.

It is a great setting, but it is best done with a little extra preparation. I've seen a lot of people ask about how to convert certain adventure paths into Eberron modules ... and to an extent, that misses the point of Eberron. Eberron is a setting that asks for a different approach - a noir approach. Moral ambiguity, tough choices, and lots and lots of pain. That gets mixed in with a healthy hand of pulp adventure and action to give you a great - and unique feel.

Most adventure paths are too black and white for Eberron to really shine. Just dropping PCs in Red Hand of Doom set in Eberron can be done, but it is like using a script for Hercules the Legendary Journeys on Game of Thrones.

The Great News for Eberron fans is that the recent pdf release, combined with the older 3E materials, gives you pretty much everything you need to run a game except some monster conversions - and those are pretty easy to find online or do yourself.

The one game in Eberron that was not so great was one where a DM took a stock module and ran it in Eberron. It was a fun adventure, it was run well as a D&D game... but it did not bring in the elements of Eberron that make the setting unique. That left all the fun story hooks that PCs had in their backstory dry, and left all the mysteries of Eberron unexplored. It just felt wasted and it made a few of us want to leave the storyline behind and explore a world he was not ready to have us explore. That was frustrating, despite it being a well run stock adventure.

Every Eberron campaign world is unique as DMs take the big mysteries of the setting and implement their own resolution to the mysteries and their own way to develop the storylines. It is a real experience when done well... but it just isn't something that works best as a casually run module with little prep. It shnes when the DM done the research, found the hooks that speak to them, and has planned a future for the adventure.

Last edited:

collin

Explorer

I ran an Eberron campaign for 5-6 years using D&D 3.5 and then some minor changes when Pathfinder came out. It was a homebrew over-arching story but allowed me to use adventures/materials that were published from various sources. It was fun; everyone seemed to enjoy it. In some ways, I wish it had not come to an end.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I've been running Hoard of the Dragon Queen in Eberron, and it's been going great. We just started Chapter 4 and so far the players are really loving it. They've been chasing the cult of the Cold Sun out of Aundair and through the Eldeen Reaches until they eventually arrive in the Shadow Marches. They're going to learn in Naerytar that Masvirik isn't the demonic overlord they need to be worrying about :devil:

Remove ads